U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM

73 posts, read 74,929 times

Advertisements

After I'm done with an art piece, do I just take a couple of pictures of it and post it online? And do I have to make copies of it afterwards, like maybe 5, and hope someone looks to buy my artwork? How does the basics of posting online art work, step by step?

I've never posted any of my artwork online, let alone build up a following on social media. Do I need to be somewhat popular in order for someone to even want to buy my art? What if I'm introverted but create good artwork?

I really want to start make money off of my artwork, ever since I've been fired, I'm looking for ways to start my own business but will posting my art be a waste of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,701 posts, read 59,598,498 times
You can simply post a picture and price on Ebay and/or Craigslist and see if someone buys it, but that's not likely to make you a living. Those depend on someone happening to see your work, and wanting it badly enough to pay for it plus shipping. When I was selling my stained glass art I took an extension class at the local university called "how to market your artwork" that was taught by a successful artist with several galleries. She went over everything from online auctions and websites, art festivals and show, including juried, consignments and even opening a gallery. After that I did some consignment, successfully but they took a big chunk, some shows, mostly online sales through my own website. This was for extra "fun money" and was profitable but I gave up up after a couple of years due to lack of time to do the glass work.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:40 AM

3,372 posts, read 9,101,160 times
Etsy?

Old 01-04-2017, 06:16 AM

24,945 posts, read 32,753,455 times
I think it depends upon what price range you are selling in.

Most art galleries have web pages and quite a few artists have web pages. I think, though, that if your work is higher priced that you need to get into a gallery, where a salesperson will steer the buyer towards your art instead of towards someone else's art. Probably the majority of people buying high priced paintings do not know enough about art to buy without advice.

Craft level artwork, you might be able to sell on Etsy: Art prints, note cards, pottery. Paintings, not so much.

If you do portraits, then you need a website, an exhibition, and a lot of word of mouth.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 PM

28,904 posts, read 48,538,910 times
https://www.amazon.com/Artists-Graph...artists+market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or