Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Another nail in the Sears coffin. Soon Sears will be no more.
Yeah, I fear that. Sears' is a GREAT store. I don't get why it is failing besides the stupid appliance show rooms that I see every once in a while. They are much better quality than Walmart for clothes. I shop Sears' regularly about once a month. I'd go more myself if I lived closer to the mall it is situated in. I don't get why it is doing so bad. I see a good number of people in it at the local mall (it is split-leveled and wider open than most stores) plus I buy from that more than most other stores at that specific mall (I buy from Bath & Body Works but nowhere near as consistent and Hot Topic but I do better at the one in the outlet actually.)
My father swears my Craftsman, my brother does too and our grandfather (father's father) did too. I would too if I used tools but I don't but because of the family connection, I'm saddened today.
I really wish Sears' would sell off K-Mart, that brand is entirely irrelevant. I don't even know where one is by me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
What happened to Sears? I used to spend more at Sears than at any other store. We had Kenmore fridge, dishwasher, washer, dryer, water heater; all big ticket items. Our washer and dryer is LG now. Too bad nobody will notice Sears demise but it is another American icon gone. The CEO should be taken out and ....

Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Sears went south when they merged with K-Mart their holding company. Too bad, I remember sitting in the 2 holer outhouse reading their catalogs many moons ago.
2 holer!?
Man, I used to envy you rich kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXXYzpCIhU

Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
The quality of Craftsman hand tools has been in the toilet for 25 years. Might as well buy Harbor Freight and save a bunch of money. I find the guts don't blow out of their ratchets as quickly as the Craftsman ones (though both are bad). And their power and air tools...IMO are actually worse than HF. I have some Craftsman tools I bough in high school, back then they were still decent. Selling them to Crap and Decker seems about right.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Honesty theres nothing special with craftsman tools anymore
I don't like what they did with the ratchets. The smooth, polished chrome handles are not as easy to hold and maintain a good grip as the older style.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Sears went south when they merged with K-Mart their holding company. Too bad, I remember sitting in the 2 holer outhouse reading their catalogs many moons ago.
Wow you read your toilet paper? Interesting.

Actually Craftsman tools aren't that great anymore. Like someone said I rather buy HF.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:

Sears was purchased by KMart.

But step back some.

KMart went bankrupt a few decades ago.

In steps Edward Lampert. Edward Lampert is a Mitt Romney type venture capitalist. A turnaround guy.
Someone who buys weak companies - or in this case bankrupt companies and turns them around to make big monies.

Edward Lampert saw value in the Kmart name and more so in the value of the Kmart properties. Lots of money to be made with a quick turn around.

Right after this, Sears was floundering. Edward Lampert leveraged KMart to purchase Sears. Another opportunity for a fast buck - to turn around Sears.

Except Edward Lampert is no Mitt Romney. All of the holdings - Sears/KMart are floundering and tanking.
Edward Lampert did not see or visualize what Jeff Bezos was doing at Amazon. The retail market was changing.

Of course there are others involved in the Sears Holdings - the company name of Sears and KMart. Other banks and venture capitalists became involved.

With the changing buying habits of the public Edward Lampert is attempting to keep Sears and KMart alive. But as each time more money is infused into Sears Holdings yet the brands are still tanking.

Long before Autozone and Advance Auto and other automotive repair chains were around there was Sears Automotive. Sears Automotive was the place to take you car for repairs if you didn't want to go to the new car dealership. Unfortunately Sears Auto lost two Class Action Lawsuits in California. Sears Automotive was guilty of selling unneeded parts to the general public - parts that were not needed when people brought cars in for repairs. Added parts.

When a company such as Sears sells off it's high value assets it is only a question of time before the end comes.

Sears never made any of the products. Sears Kenmore appliances are ordinary Whirlpool and many other company products rebranded.

I gave up on Sears after Sears stole the Bionic Wrench from Dan Brown. LINK Blatant theft of a product made in the USA.

In the end these companies fail because of management. Poor management. Management without a vision. Sears and KMart are floundering because management does not or cannot vision the buying habits of the general public. Jeff Bezos can see it. Sears management cannot. Or isn't capable of seeing it or capable of doing anything about it.

RIP. Sears was the largest retailer in the world at one point. Sears built the largest retail store in the world in Chicago just as the Home Depots and the Walmarts were beginning. Both with a different vision of what retail was.

As with Kodak and Polaroid, management did not and does not have the capabilities to grasp what the buying public needs or wants.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
[
OTOH, Stanley's hand tools are hit and miss. They're fine for household use, but serious use leave them broken. Black and Decker isn't much better. However, Stanley does make Dewalt tools, so they can make quality. Hopefully they go the Dewalt path. I assume Craftsman will fall somewhere in the middle. They're also known for having poor customer service
Totally different price points between WalMart sold Black & Decker and Home depot sold Dewalt. Catering to a totally different market. Much like how Kias and Cadillacs both exist......totally different market.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Wow. That sucks. Not sure why Sears cannot compete with Kohls? I was at Kohls and it was jam packed. Went to Sears to pickup my dishwasher and it was a ghost town. Just a few older ladies shopping.
Kohl's is NOT doing well. Their holidays season was dreadful! Just because you saw one store to be what you thought was busy doesn't mean they made a dime. There's been several news articles about their earnings forecast and it has been significantly lowered. Shareholders aren't happy.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:28 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
My brother loves to swap his Craftsman tools for new ones.
Guess that will now stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business