Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times

Advertisements

If I dissolve a corporation that has assets, what do I do with the money in an account owned by the corporation? This is not an S corp. I was just going to transfer the money to my personal account, but I'm suspecting that the USA has some crazy laws related to this that may make me an instant criminal by taking the withdrawal.

Do I have to pay myself the balance in the form of a dividend? Then pay taxes on it? Is there any other paperwork needed or IRS stuff to file?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
50-State Guide to Dissolving a Corporation | Nolo.com

Tax Rules for Closing Down a Business | Bottom Line Inc

Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 PM

Ok thanks the first link seemed to be a ton of ads. The second had useful info! Everything is so complicated.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:33 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
If I dissolve a corporation that has assets, what do I do with the money in an account owned by the corporation? This is not an S corp. I was just going to transfer the money to my personal account, but I'm suspecting that the USA has some crazy laws related to this that may make me an instant criminal by taking the withdrawal.

Do I have to pay myself the balance in the form of a dividend? Then pay taxes on it? Is there any other paperwork needed or IRS stuff to file?
All I can say is repeat the advice of my CPA when I closed down one business: Keep your business incorporated for seven years, because the moment you shut down a business it's a red flag for an IRS audit. After seven years, you don't need to keep business records.

So when I shut down one of my business, I essentially gave myself a dividend for what was left over and continued filing corporate taxes for it showing zero income. And I would head to my storage locker the first business day of every year, to destroy the records from eight calendar years previously.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM

366 posts, read 730,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
All I can say is repeat the advice of my CPA when I closed down one business: Keep your business incorporated for seven years, because the moment you shut down a business it's a red flag for an IRS audit. After seven years, you don't need to keep business records.

So when I shut down one of my business, I essentially gave myself a dividend for what was left over and continued filing corporate taxes for it showing zero income. And I would head to my storage locker the first business day of every year, to destroy the records from eight calendar years previously.
If you don't mind I'd like to clarify what you did because I am considering shutting down a C corp (I am the only shareholder). So let's say you had $50,000 in liquid assets in the corporation, you then paid yourself a dividend of $50,000 of which you would pay on your personal income tax and then to keep from being audited you maintained that corporation for seven more years until you dissolve/d it. Am I correct?

Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Thank you sweetheart. The law links are good, but it is also nice to get some tips from people with experience. Maybe I'll also check with an accountant. It sounds ok though as long as I'm not using the business to get tax breaks.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
If you don't mind I'd like to clarify what you did because I am considering shutting down a C corp (I am the only shareholder). So let's say you had $50,000 in liquid assets in the corporation, you then paid yourself a dividend of $50,000 of which you would pay on your personal income tax and then to keep from being audited you maintained that corporation for seven more years until you dissolve/d it. Am I correct?
Pretty much

Old 03-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Thank you sweetheart. The law links are good, but it is also nice to get some tips from people with experience. Maybe I'll also check with an accountant. It sounds ok though as long as I'm not using the business to get tax breaks.
Always good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business