Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:45 PM

1,195 posts, read 973,356 times

Advertisements

Buy foreign real estate in a non property taxed country that's up n coming, then flip it.

Or get into probate auctions in up and coming cities. It'll take time but u could do it on the side while working full time.

Also, I have never done either of these so they're just ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,485,313 times
A friend of mine made VERY good money online selling building plans for a well laid out dog house. People paid through pay pal or through their bank via email. Once he had received the money, he sent them the plans.

What you need is a web page to promote a small product such as his, some savvy for getting and keeping your web page/product near the top of Google search and be prompt in emailing the order once you receive the money. He sent a small gift as a thank you to each customer. ( a mug with their dog's photo on it)

Keep in mind that your product has to be UNIQUE and GOOD QUALITY, and the plans have to be easy to read and concise in dimensions and material.

The overhead is just paying for the web page. A small business online will work but you do have to work at it. You can't just sit back and relax. You have to keep working at your web page tweaking it and renewing photos, etc.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,457,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have had office jobs for 30 years. The money is good, but I'm bored. I have some $ and can open a small business. What are some of the better choices in terms of profit potential and ease of management?

I have thought of a neighborhood coffee shop, donut shop (love to be able to eat all I can eat), fishing tackle shop (love fishing), even thought of buying a boat and become a fisherman (wife says OK as long as I can give her $6K a month).

I hope the business can earn at least 20K a month.

Any suggestions?
It's called unicorn - it doesn't exist. If it did, millions of people would have been in that business already.

Running a business is a freaking hard job, from days after days of hard work with little or no sleep to constantly juggling with cash flow worrying about whether or not you can make payroll. Not one single business succeeded without these issues.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,702,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP is looking for $20,000 a month in income. Please let us know about all the 20 hour a week, low intensity suggestions you have that have a quarter million a year in profit. That is what OP is looking for.
The OP isn't going to get close to 20k per month with a donut shop, fishing tackle shop or running a boat.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:20 PM

824 posts, read 1,243,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
To those who're saying that there is no such thing as a simple business and that it owns you etc. BULLCRUD!

It does not have to be intense. It can be 20 hrs a week. The best businesses are run with very simple blueprints. And they do not require a ton of hours or stress, although it can and does happen.

Can someone tell me why it has to be a big elaborate complicated endeavor to operate a small business? WHY!?
You did not answer Oregon Woodsmoke's question.
Please tell us why running a business is not intense? Why it is not complicated?

Saying something is easy. Actually proving that it is easy is a lot harder, and that is exactly what you are not doing, proving that it is easy.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:47 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,702,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
You did not answer Oregon Woodsmoke's question.
Please tell us why running a business is not intense? Why it is not complicated?

Saying something is easy. Actually proving that it is easy is a lot harder, and that is exactly what you are not doing, proving that it is easy.
Running a small business does not HAVE to be intense and complicated. So many people seem to think it's a cardinal rule.

What would be intense or complicated about running a small auto repair shop? When I was a kid my family ran one and did well. It was strictly a 9-5 40 hr per week endeavor. We open the doors @ 9 and went home at 5, sometimes earlier. After that we were DONE.

I have worked for myself at different times along the way. I currently own and operate 3 rent houses which take up maybe 3 hrs a month of my time.

Where is the intense stress and complication?

Old 04-30-2017, 10:19 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,545,432 times
Drug dealer.
High risk -- high reward.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:33 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,958,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
The dry cleaning biz maybe? I know of a guy who got out of the liquor store business to open 2 cleaners. He must know something. In upscale neighborhoods the market seems to support multiple cleaners.
No way! Environmental regulations and casual wear being more common makes this a bad investment.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,055,056 times
I get maybe this is part of the idea gathering process but entrepreneurship isn't really a turn key follow this recipe process. Pretty much the entire concept of entrepreneurship is the part your asking about? What problem can I solve. If you have to ask others it's probably not for you. Lastly, have you ever made 20k a month previously in life? If not what are you doing today that is going to make that happen? What skills have you adopted? Lastly, very few donut shops are going to bring in 20k a month

Old 05-05-2017, 05:56 PM

26 posts, read 44,360 times
My suggestion is to buy an existing business, rather than start a new one. Seems like it would be less effort that way. You could visit web sites such as bizbuysell.com or businessesforsale.com to see whats available in your area. Could you find a manager to manage the business for you while your gone fishing? Then the business could be simple or difficult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business