Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:05 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

I have had office jobs for 30 years. The money is good, but I'm bored. I have some $ and can open a small business. What are some of the better choices in terms of profit potential and ease of management?

I have thought of a neighborhood coffee shop, donut shop (love to be able to eat all I can eat), fishing tackle shop (love fishing), even thought of buying a boat and become a fisherman (wife says OK as long as I can give her $6K a month).

I hope the business can earn at least 20K a month.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:15 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I dont think it would be easy managing a donut shop because of the odd hours.How would you compete with Starbucks?New restaurants have a notoriously high failure rate.I dont think a fishing guide with just one boat could make 20 k a month in profit.Also, being a professional fisherman or fishing guide is not easy to manage.Its very hard work.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:51 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont think it would be easy managing a donut shop because of the odd hours.How would you compete with Starbucks?New restaurants have a notoriously high failure rate.I dont think a fishing guide with just one boat could make 20 k a month in profit.Also, being a professional fisherman or fishing guide is not easy to manage.Its very hard work.
You go where they aren't.

Lots of smaller towns.. A coffee shop can be a quite good business. ($20k a month? Well.. Perhaps not)

But.. You're on point about it being hard work and having a high failure rate. Fishing boats.. Don't know where OP is, but in most places, there's a set fishing period. Plus high expenses maintaining the boat.. What happens if you're sick a day? Insurance, insurance, insurance.

You better make a killing during the 8 months of fishing season to keep you going during the 4 months that it's NOT fishing season.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You go where they aren't.

Lots of smaller towns.. A coffee shop can be a quite good business. ($20k a month? Well.. Perhaps not)

But.. You're on point about it being hard work and having a high failure rate. Fishing boats.. Don't know where OP is, but in most places, there's a set fishing period. Plus high expenses maintaining the boat.. What happens if you're sick a day? Insurance, insurance, insurance.

You better make a killing during the 8 months of fishing season to keep you going during the 4 months that it's NOT fishing season.
Okay,I see your point about competing with Starbucks.Thanks.I fish with a fishing guide in Texas and he does not make anywhere near 240 grand a year.A lot of times fishing guides have to get really pricey boats every two to three years.

Last edited by C24L; 03-24-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 04:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
What is a simple but profitable small business to run?
Simple and profitable = oxymoron
You really can't have both so choose one or the other.

The other consideration is the number of operating hours per week you're willing to commit to.
Most "businesses" are little more than buying yourself a job.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Nope.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:13 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have had office jobs for 30 years. The money is good, but I'm bored. I have some $ and can open a small business. What are some of the better choices in terms of profit potential and ease of management?

I have thought of a neighborhood coffee shop, donut shop (love to be able to eat all I can eat), fishing tackle shop (love fishing), even thought of buying a boat and become a fisherman (wife says OK as long as I can give her $6K a month).

I hope the business can earn at least 20K a month.

Any suggestions?
You're not going to find it in a restaurant unless you really understand restaurants. Fisherman? There aren't many wealthy fishermen. Coffee shop? Depends on where you are. Fishing tackle shop sounds interesting, as long as you're willing to live in a fishing hotspot and buy lots of inventory ahead of time.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Car wash's and laundromats are a great way to make a passive business income and all you have to do is count your quarters everyday and pay your water bill each month.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Car wash's and laundromats are a great way to make a passive business income and all you have to do is count your quarters everyday and pay your water bill each month.
and fix the mechanical things when they break down

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
As soon as I figure out how to open a small business that is easy to run, doesn't take much money to start, doesn't take up much of your time, takes no specialty knowledge, and returns $20,000 a month, I am going to go into the franchise business and sell those things all over the country.

My dad owned coin laundries and they are a heck of a lot of work. The general public live like pigs and the laundromat has to be cleaned constantly. No one wants to go wash their clothing in a place where your shoes sick to the floor from spilled sodas, there is caked on soap powder in the machines and on the floor, and greasy burger wrappers and chicken bones on the folding tables.

People deliberate break the machines and try to pry open the coin boxes. Repairs are constant. With the right location, they make money, but probably not the $6,000 a month you wife expects to be handed. They are not low input.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Those are not passive activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business