Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 03:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times

Advertisements

OK, there is a chance that these guys could be legitimate green card Americans (a very small chance), but I have be inundated by Indians calling me to ask about my taxes. From what I can understand, it seems they want to know if I have already done my taxes.

The conversation never get to the part where they are actually soliciting me to do my taxes because I start asking them questions. Questions that they do not have the answer to because - not only can I not understand them, but they cannot understand me either. This is a loose transcript of the phone conversation based on what I think they are saying... It could be totally wrong.

I start asking them "slowly and speaking as clearly as possible" you are saying that you want to do my taxes? Why would I want to give some foreigner my personal tax information?

Oh, we are not foreigners sir.
You aren't? Where are you located?
Sorry? I am saying have you had your taxes prepared yet?
Yes, and I am asking where you are located?
Oh, we are located in ________.
Sorry I do not under stand that. Please delete my phone number and do not call back.
But I need to know if you have already completed you taxes?
Where are you located? Sorry, I cannot understand what you are saying. How are you going to do my taxes if I cannot understand what you are saying?
Can you hold on for a minute please. They then put someone else on the line, someone I have just as difficult a time understanding...
Hello?
Yes, please do me a favor and delete my phone number.
Sir, I am calling to ask if you have done your taxes yet.
How did you get my phone number?
We have received it from a phone list database.
Then please take my phone number out of your databse.
But, we...
Did you hear what I said? Did you understand what I asked you to do?
Yes, but would you please pass this number on to your friends who may want to
Did you really think I want to hook my friends up with a tax preparer who doesn't seem to understand English and who is probably a scammer?
But we are not scammers...
Look, I don't have time for this. Goodbye. Click.

Their call rang though to my phone because they are using a number I have not already trapped. I have a list of about 24 numbers that seem to be from these same folks that my phone is programmed to ignore. That is 24 plus 1 more.

The FTC is supposedly doing something about this now? Can't happen too soon.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ns-in-tax-scam

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-08-2017 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:43 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
No new regulations without deleting two regulations. Executive orders.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:46 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
They were real close to getting a yes or no from you.
The longer they are on the line and answering your questions/comments, they are winning.
Get a caller ID and never answer calls from unrecognized #.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
When I get a pause after picking up and hear the distinctive background hum of a telemarketing operation, I simply hang up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business