Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times

Advertisements

The company that co-occupied with Walmart was called Murphy USA. There were many locations on Walmart properties simply called "USA Gasoline". Like I said, they don't exist in some regions of the country, and are a separate company from Walmart. I believe there is a plan to combine the gas properties with Walmart retail locations, but seems to be still in development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Retail is wasteful, Amazon like retailing is superwasteful. I feel for the mother if Amazon model will keep on grabbing a greater share of the market. Something is seriously wrong with Economics 101 if it encourages more waste in the age of ecological uncertainties. I shop at Walnart mostly for groceries, it has an impressive selection of the processed junk and a few items I actually buy, but in many communities so to speak, walmarts have no competition, so if walmart is on the way out, that would mean real trouble since there is no reasonable way to fed ex all that stuff walmart sells.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Retail is wasteful, Amazon like retailing is superwasteful. I feel for the mother if Amazon model will keep on grabbing a greater share of the market. Something is seriously wrong with Economics 101 if it encourages more waste in the age of ecological uncertainties. I shop at Walnart mostly for groceries, it has an impressive selection of the processed junk and a few items I actually buy, but in many communities so to speak, walmarts have no competition, so if walmart is on the way out, that would mean real trouble since there is no reasonable way to fed ex all that stuff walmart sells.
Wal Mart isn't going anywhere. Although I do agree with you about the ridiculous overconsumption of stuff. I almost never set foot in a Wal Mart....I simply never feel the need to buy things, and I grocery shop elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,091 times
Usually I can only find a few different selections in Wal Mart, when I am looking for something. (There have been several times when I have not been able to find a single selection of something I want.....today included).
Amazon and such sites offer us dozens or hundreds of choices, per item.
There is no way Wal Mart (or any other major big box store) will be able to compete with that, in the long run. Their stores would have to be much, much bigger than they already are.
Plus shopping at Wal Mart is a negative experience, much of the time. This is not news.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

Bing, Bing, Bing, we have a winner. Millennials are an extremely conflicted generation. They wail about the environment and big oil, but then order lipstick from Amazon, have it shipped across the country in a wasteful cardboard box with packaging material, and then delivered to their door.

The UPS driver that services my building has been complaining about the meal delivery companies. He said that he is delivering groceries to about 20 families, a couple times a week. Because they are rushed delivery, he has to deliver those the first thing each day, and then complete his normal route.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Bing, Bing, Bing, we have a winner. Millennials are an extremely conflicted generation. They wail about the environment and big oil, but then order lipstick from Amazon, have it shipped across the country in a wasteful cardboard box with packaging material, and then delivered to their door.

The UPS driver that services my building has been complaining about the meal delivery companies. He said that he is delivering groceries to about 20 families, a couple times a week. Because they are rushed delivery, he has to deliver those the first thing each day, and then complete his normal route.
Actually Millennials are not conflicted because they are not a monolithic group with a hive mind mentality.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:

Tell the UPS guy to be quiet. His job is to deliver stuff!!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:13 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The company that co-occupied with Walmart was called Murphy USA. There were many locations on Walmart properties simply called "USA Gasoline". Like I said, they don't exist in some regions of the country, and are a separate company from Walmart. I believe there is a plan to combine the gas properties with Walmart retail locations, but seems to be still in development.
Murphy split into Murphy USA and Murphy Oil.
Their stock quotes are still listed and there is a very busy Murphy station near the Walmart near me.

Very busy and lowest price in area.

Murphy USA has 1400 stores in 26 states and plans to add 55-60 new stores in 2017.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:49 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
I do think that the grocery industry is helping keep WalMart as big as it is. I tend to go to WM for dried goods and canned goods and then to our local actual grocery store for all our produce and meats. Our grocery store tends to have more locally grown produce and it is better quality. The funny part is that their produce prices are roughly the same as WM. Now, when we are at WM, I've noticed that the entire right-half of the store is mostly empty whereas the left half of the store is busy. The left half houses all the groceries while the right half is paint, automotive, kitchen, bath, fabric, gardening, etc.. The electronics section in the back usually has a few people browsing through the 5 dollar DVD bins, but that's about it. You will find a few people in the direct center of the store looking at clothes, but not many people putting clothes in their cart. Reviewing the checkout lines, it is pretty much groceries in everyone's cart. Heck, I even went to WM on Black Friday this year because they had some blu rays on sale really cheap that I wanted. We found a quick parking spot, there were no lines and overall the place wasn't packed at all. I found my movies, paid, and left in all under 15 minutes.

Having said all that, it will be interesting to see what retailers like WalMart and Target do in the next 10+ years as online retailing increases. Of course, with all the online retailers increasing sales, I had better not hear anything from USPS about how their business is dwindling.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
The UPS driver wouldn't have his job if not for those delivery services. They keep the post office afloat, since e-mail/phone/texting pretty much supplemented the original function of the post office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business