Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 10,341 times

Advertisements

im starting up a business and im looking to buy a truck (s10) so i can haul inventory, this truck will be used solely for my business, can i write off the overall price for purchase and insurance before i get my tax ID # and licenses or do i have to wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by og13window View Post
im starting up a business and im looking to buy a truck (s10) so i can haul inventory, this truck will be used solely for my business, can i write off the overall price for purchase and insurance before i get my tax ID # and licenses or do i have to wait?
I use my SS number. The IRS has no interest in licenses, other than the deduction of the cost. Look your schedule "C" over.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,341 times
yeah i looked over schedule C and it was simple jus a date when you claim the vehicle for you business, and the mileage. thanks for the info

Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by og13window View Post
You seem to be interested in the method of depreciating a vehicle on your books versus taking a mileage expense. You would show the total price as a long term asset, if you are purchasing with a loan that would show up as a long term note (liability), your interest would be categorized interest expense for P&L purposes, and your CPA will give you the depreciation method allowed in your particular case.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Or do a section 179 (accelerated depreciation), if your income is such that you qualify, and / or you would like the $$ up front. If your business (income) grows, you can later do a 1031 (like kind exchange) to upgrade from the S-10 to a Sprinter, then the box truck, and the semi. But... you cannot 1031 from the S-10 to a forklift (different class of equip). 1031's have to be done by an 'agent' (you can't touch the funds) but are good tools for tax planning. (the cost basis on your semi would be the basis brought forward from the S-10, so be careful if you sell the semi)

If you do a Sect 179, you will need to recapture the depreciation if you sell it before applicable period (entire life, if you took the whole amount up front). Same is true with std depreciation, but... the 179 is very nice to use in years with heavy tax burden (such as the year you get a severance package from former employer and start a new business, the following years will likely be bleak on the earning's front.)

Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
I routinely use straight-line depreciation [it is just simpler than the other methods].

One area where I have seen folks slam themselves is that once you have depreciated an item to zero, then you are saying it is worth zero. If you sale or trade that item, and it shows a value of greater than zero, you made a taxable profit.

Routinely re-investing improvements into that piece of property can keep it's 'cost-basis' up above zero for you. So that it still has value and you can continue to depreciate it. And so that when you finally do sale or trade the item, it does not show a profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business