Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,349,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Legally cash needs to be accepted.

If a company wants people to pay with credit they can do two things

Offer a discount if they pay with CC

Or

Have a additional charge if they pay cash (most places have a discount if you pay cash)

I usually ask if there us a discount if I pay cash. I don't care about the method if payment because in a case where I use a cc I pay it off when the bill comes.
There's no law that says retailers need to accept cash at point of sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,349,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I use a combination of cash and credit for my purchases, but if a business chooses to refuse cash, I will no longer be their customer. Using cash is a way to ensure privacy, which, in certain situations, I value more than convenience.
Bitcoin also ensures privacy.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,316,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Bitcoin also ensures privacy.
Fair enough, and Bitcoin's use is definitely expanding, but for the time-being, cash is still the more convenient option for ensuring privacy of transactions.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 6,509 times
I avoid places that are cash or even debit card only! I have been using credit card for the last 20 years and perhaps had to walk out from a store 5 times during that time cause they wouldn't take a credit card; however, I can see this to be still a problem in smaller cities or "in the middle of nowhere", but in big cities, it is very uncommon for a business to not take a credit card.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:34 PM

4,016 posts, read 3,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I once purchased a 6 cents Lime at Walmart with American Express Card. The guy at the till was not amused as it caused more loss to them.
I try to use Cash most of the times unless it is Online shopping or stuff like Hotel / Flight booking. Once we go Cashless, next sep will be to cheat customers by charging them transaction fees and Banks will start implementing Negative Interest Rates, processing fees for every transactions, Monthly charges for Credit Cards. We are digging our own graves by turning Cashless. Cash is one thing saving both Businesses and Customers.

Why would a cashier at Walmart care that the transaction caused a loss?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've never seen anyone put a can of soda on their credit card.
I've seen an acquaintance swipe his debit card for a 20 oz bottle of Coke after leaving the theater for an after-dinner movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Pilot project to see if it's more efficient for wait staff and if 99% of diners charge their dinner already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I'm already cashless for the most part and often refuse to do business with retailers that do not accept credit cards. So this has little impact on me.
But did you pay in cash when you could have written a check instead? I've written out checks to friends to pay back my portion of the tab. The main reason I still keep checks is because of the annual car registration at the Tax Assessor-Collector's office. Until credit card payments were introduced a couple years ago, they only accepted cash or check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I once purchased a 6 cents Lime at Walmart with American Express Card. The guy at the till was not amused as it caused more loss to them.
I usually pay in cash if the transaction is $10 or less. I try to pay cash for small amounts especially if it's a small business. But at a big-box store, I just charge it since they have sweetheart deals with the card processor anyway due to their daily transaction volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
GB is liquidating certain bank notes and EU is liquidating 100 e bills I believe.
Nixon got rid of all bills above $100 back in 1971 due to his "War on Drugs" that still continues to wreak havoc on minority communities up to the present day.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM

125 posts, read 81,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
A large credit card company is planning to offer businesses a ten grand bribe to start refusing to accept cash. If you don't have a credit card they don't want your business. What if, like me, you prefer to pay cash for everything? I don't want strangers using my personal information to target me with ads. Not accepting cash would be the beginning of the end of personal privacy. I can just see a person at the checkout with a trolley full of groceries. The cashier tallys the order and says "swipe your card". The person says I don't have one but here's cash. "Sorry, we don't take cash." An argument erupts and the angry customer walks out empty handed while the frozen food in the trolley begins dripping onto the floor.
If you agree such a situation isn't good for the average person you might want to let some know. Who, I don't know but the V**a credit card company might be a good place to start.
Just due to the education we have now about ID Theft, it blows my mind people use their cc cards/bank cards for everyday purchases instead of cash.

Way more risk for ID theft and fraud using a card than using cash. Hardly anyone counterfeits cash nowadays though they'd try to get you to think diffferently.

They want to track us all. You cannot, so far, track cash. And as long as they track you, means they are privy to way too much info about you. Smartest thing is to NOT take any CC or bank cards whatsoever.

There are a few stores within a few hours of here who do this. One actually calls itself "The Cash Store"

We also get a money order or cashiers check sometimes in place of checks.

We pay the water bill in person each month via cash. PG&E is paid with a check

Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,481,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Just due to the education we have now about ID Theft, it blows my mind people use their cc cards/bank cards for everyday purchases instead of cash.

Way more risk for ID theft and fraud using a card than using cash. Hardly anyone counterfeits cash nowadays though they'd try to get you to think diffferently.

They want to track us all. You cannot, so far, track cash. And as long as they track you, means they are privy to way too much info about you. Smartest thing is to NOT take any CC or bank cards whatsoever.

There are a few stores within a few hours of here who do this. One actually calls itself "The Cash Store"

We also get a money order or cashiers check sometimes in place of checks.

We pay the water bill in person each month via cash. PG&E is paid with a check
How can you say hardly anyone counterfeits? That's absolutely not true and I don't care if someone clone's my credit card and uses it, report it, get a new card and move on. Debit cards are another issue and why I don't use one. Using all cash opens yourself up for loss due to theft or simple misplacement

Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM

125 posts, read 81,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How can you say hardly anyone counterfeits? That's absolutely not true and I don't care if someone clone's my credit card and uses it, report it, get a new card and move on. Debit cards are another issue and why I don't use one. Using all cash opens yourself up for loss due to theft or simple misplacement
Yes, this has happened to us. But once they have your SS#, DL address and such, it's much more dangerous.

Also though I am an anonymous person on this website, I will say that once I went into a national car insurance website. To snoop upon what kind of car an enemy had. I had her address, phone, age, just enough info. THe make of her car came up (and probably still would_

What surprised me is....I also got their Social Security Number. Then I typed in other people, including myself, it was breach across the board. I thought of what I could do with her SS#. Luckily, this brief thought fizzled out and fear about people's ss numbers being exposed caused me to cancel my auto insurance. I hardly ever drive now. Mostly cycle. Yes, I contacted that website but it took FOREVER to actually get a contact to speak to someone. First I was dismissed as being a crazy, second guy at least looked for himself. He was shocked.

ID theft is not that simple where you get to just order a new card. Since i Hardly drive, I knew where i got gas and where the breach was regarding us. Someone with a semi type truck got gas. More gas at once than could ever fit into any of our vehicles at a particular gas station.

I am surprised you are not more educated on this topic.

Here is a really good, entertaining movie on the topic. It is a high quality movie, with real actors. Most lifetime movies are just ok but this one and the Craigslist killer are great high quality movies if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQiINjlAadE

Old 08-08-2017, 01:55 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,481,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Yes, this has happened to us. But once they have your SS#, DL address and such, it's much more dangerous.
Well all that doesn't happen just because someone gets your credit card or the card number

Quote:
Also though I am an anonymous person on this website, I will say that once I went into a national car insurance website. To snoop upon what kind of car an enemy had. I had her address, phone, age, just enough info. THe make of her car came up (and probably still would_

What surprised me is....I also got their Social Security Number. Then I typed in other people, including myself, it was breach across the board. I thought of what I could do with her SS#. Luckily, this brief thought fizzled out and fear about people's ss numbers being exposed caused me to cancel my auto insurance. I hardly ever drive now. Mostly cycle. Yes, I contacted that website but it took FOREVER to actually get a contact to speak to someone. First I was dismissed as being a crazy, second guy at least looked for himself. He was shocked.
What does this have to do with credit/debit/cash? Not a thing really

Quote:
ID theft is not that simple where you get to just order a new card. Since i Hardly drive, I knew where i got gas and where the breach was regarding us. Someone with a semi type truck got gas. More gas at once than could ever fit into any of our vehicles at a particular gas station.
And ID theft isn't something you get simply by having my credit card so why you are conflating the two is beyond me

Quote:
I am surprised you are not more educated on this topic.
Don't worry about my education levels rather you should be more concerned with your ability to comprehend what was being discussed

Quote:
Here is a really good, entertaining movie on the topic. It is a high quality movie, with real actors. Most lifetime movies are just ok but this one and the Craigslist killer are great high quality movies if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQiINjlAadE
I'm not watching your silly lifetime movie as it has nothing to do with the topic of card vs cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business