Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:58 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I doubt that would be legal. Federal law says that our money is legal tender which basically means it has to be accepted.
Federal statutes do not require that someone who is not a pre-existing creditor must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses may formulate their own policies on whether to accept cash unless state law requires otherwise.

Accepting banknotes in payment involves some risk and bother to the restaurant owner. Normally, in the USA they are willing to take that risk as it may alienate some of their customers. But in other countries, business owners find that they can live with alienating some customers so they don't have to deal in cash.

Apartment owners generally will not take cash. Stores in Denmark are petitioning the government to allow them to remove cash registers so that paying via cash is not an option.

Sweden has reduced their cash in circulation by more than 50% since the peak in 2007. All six denominations of banknotes in Sweden are worth about US$540 per capita. In comparison in the US we are circulating roughly $540 per capita in just the $20 denomination.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-08-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I go to McDonalds in the morning for an iced tea - $1.06. I always charge it (or debit card). I want to retain whatever cash I have and keep easy records of expenditures so I can track spending if desired. The cash is for machines usually or tips or buying lotto ticket. Cash disappears too quickly so I hang on to it when I have it.

Some parking meters do not take credit cards, the formerly free air and water at service stations now requires quarters, the snack machine at work and our Kiwanis club meal contribution all require cash, so I hold onto the cash. Anything else if I can buy it with a card, I do.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't care if I store excepted credit cards only. I'd just pay with my credit card. I already go to stores except cash only, and I just pay cash. Mostly it's the small businesses at the beach that except cash only. Including some of my favorite restaurants there. I will say it would be a good idea for such businesses to put their policy on the front door before people go in and try to use cash or credit only place or credit and a cash only place.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:38 PM

125 posts, read 81,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well all that doesn't happen just because someone gets your credit card or the card number

What does this have to do with credit/debit/cash? Not a thing really

And ID theft isn't something you get simply by having my credit card so why you are conflating the two is beyond me

Don't worry about my education levels rather you should be more concerned with your ability to comprehend what was being discussed

I'm not watching your silly lifetime movie as it has nothing to do with the topic of card vs cash
Yes, and ID theft isn't something you get by just having car insurance either. WRONG per my own experience above.

And ID theft isn't something you get by just having a mortgage. OOPS wrong again per the Michelle Brown Story.

It's clear you just want to argue

We all know using Cash is the wisest option.

The less you use any electronic means to complete a transaction, the safer you are. You lower your risk of ID theft

Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Yes, and ID theft isn't something you get by just having car insurance either. WRONG per my own experience above.

And ID theft isn't something you get by just having a mortgage. OOPS wrong again per the Michelle Brown Story.

It's clear you just want to argue

We all know using Cash is the wisest option.

The less you use any electronic means to complete a transaction, the safer you are. You lower your risk of ID theft

What was your previous username before making this new account of yours?

How do you get my ss#, drivers license number etc just by finding my credit card I dropped? Oh that's right you don't so again you are completely conflating issues.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
There was a time when Apple refuse to accept Cash, but I don't remember the outcome.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

How do you get my ss#, drivers license number etc just by finding my credit card I dropped? Oh that's right you don't so again you are completely conflating issues.
How do I get all of that info you listed above by just applying for an online quote?

Old 08-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Back when windows 95 existed, you could go into the cookies to get people's email passwords.

Also when I worked for the county 20 yrs ago, Computer was messing up so I went into the back of the computer by just right clicking into folders looking for something. Found a list of employees in a folder called PERSONEL which included all of this info. SS, DL, Addreses, phone numbers. Really simple. I thanked my lucky stars I was hired by a temp agency and declined applying for my position when it opened with the County. Specifically looking in that folder to check whether privacy was an issue. It was.

Also alerted County Counsel who alerted the computer guy. He informed me it had been that way for years, he knew, but they needed to upgrade the computers. Nothing changed, I checked and it remained that way.

They've updated their computers since then

Never demand proof of how something is done in order to believe it is done. You will never know every step criminal uses to commit id theft. Nor will I.... so don't bother asking me.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Not all digital currencies equate to more control...
Then how about this: TPTB would love a cashless society because it removes anonymity in transactions and, more importantly, allows banks to impose "negative interest rates" without the possibility of depositors withdrawing their [physical] money.

These people who can't see past their noses because it "doesn't affect" them should wake up. The elimination of cash will have ramifications that affect everyone. Believe it.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Then how about this: TPTB would love a cashless society because it removes anonymity in transactions and, more importantly, allows banks to impose "negative interest rates" without the possibility of depositors withdrawing their [physical] money.

These people who can't see past their noses because it "doesn't affect" them should wake up. The elimination of cash will have ramifications that affect everyone. Believe it.
True!
Follow the money is such a way for govt to control the purse.

I've handed cash to the impoverished and not once cared to claim it as a tax relief or to track my budget. It was there to aid.
Most banks as previously mentioned will fee a person into debt just with the use of plastic. Our retail business lives on the cash is king mantra. Losing 2-4% of its profit adds up! Sounds meager til you are taxed 4% for a convenience to exist.

I feel sorry for folks..The devil is in the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business