Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 AM

748 posts, read 820,343 times

Advertisements

If you are broke, but come from a wealthy family. Would you ask your family for money to start a business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
I have no interest in running a business no matter who funds it. I'd rather run a fantasy football team.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
If you are broke, but come from a wealthy family. Would you ask your family for money to start a business?
i would say that it depends. who is this family? parents, uncle, cousin, sibling?

the only people who can come to me for money for something like this would be my children. but then you are open up to my input on your business plan.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Never. Do you enjoy having other people telling you how to run your business? I'd rather smash my thumb with a hammer.

Why do people always seem to think you need a chunk of money to start a business? And for some reason they never have it.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
If you have family money your probably not broke in the first place

Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If you have family money your probably not broke in the first place
someone has to gift you "family money" if you are going to be "not broke." it isnt like money just magically appears in your bank account just because there is a ton of money in your parents' bank account.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Unless your warren buffet, said non of his kids will get anything from him.. Smart man if you ask me. .But just having a name Buffet and knowing who your daddy was, is good enough for the banks to approve loans without any backings. Just wish today parents that is loaded, teach your kids how to earn a living instead of giving it to them.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Unless your warren buffet, said non of his kids will get anything from him.. Smart man if you ask me. .But just having a name Buffet and knowing who your daddy was, is good enough for the banks to approve loans without any backings. Just wish today parents that is loaded, teach your kids how to earn a living instead of giving it to them.
where do people get this stuff from? buffett's kids will inherit a lot of money from him. he may be giving a large % of it to charity but that still leaves billions for his kids. also, how exactly is a bank going to approve a loan simply based on your last name? if warren cosigns that is one thing but absent assets or income; the bank wouldnt approve a loan purely based on a last name.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
where do people get this stuff from? buffett's kids will inherit a lot of money from him. he may be giving a large % of it to charity but that still leaves billions for his kids. also, how exactly is a bank going to approve a loan simply based on your last name? if warren cosigns that is one thing but absent assets or income; the bank wouldnt approve a loan purely based on a last name.
"People get this stuff from" Buffett's repeated statements over the years that he doesn't want to ruin his kids' lives by leaving them money.

His wife Susan left each of the children $10 million.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
If I had a business
- A Plan
- Partners
- A reasonable probability of making enough money to give investors a return on their investment
- An experience and skill set making execution probable

If I needed capital
- Because I had specific uses for the capital that were necessary to launch the business
- Because raising equity was best for the company
- Because I can leverage the contributed capital to leverage there remaining costs, and have a banker willing to work with me
- Because reasonable people other than my family would, and are investing in it

Then...yeah, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business