Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 32,716 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need some advice. My friend is owner of a small business (only 2 employees). He recently just found out that his secretary, who he has been friends with for almost 10 yrs, has been stealing from the company. He has verified this with copies of cancelled checks made out to Verizon, Bank of America (with different account numbers than his) and some duplicate "salary checks" made out to the secretary.

He is in the midst of gettting all his bank statements from 2007 to see how long it's been going on. Unfortunately, he gave total autonomy to the secretary to pay all bills and write out all checks, and even to sign his name on the checks.

In addition, her husband is my friend's accountant. The secretary has all the 2007 bank statements and gives the excuse that her husband needs them for tax purposes.

Also, there are two little caveats. She has always been paid cash (checks made out to cash) and my friend's wife has been put "on the books" as an employee (I believe due to health care).

Here's my question. What does he do??? He is definitely going to confront her, show the proof, give her an opportunity to admit that she did it, and try to find out how long it's been going on and how much she has taken.

What if she threatens to "tell" on him regarding paying her cash and keeping his wife on the payroll? What if her husband does something to his taxes/paperwork? Should he press criminal charges?

Please advise. Thank you very much.

*** I understand that my friend was not the smartest guy in the world to give all this autonomy to this woman and he has learned his lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,086 times
I always say "Do it once, you were ignorant(didn't know any better); do it twice and your stupid".

He trusted a good friend, who doesn't? I'd suggest getting a lawyer and check'n out all options of how to do this. He should not "act" as if he knows.

How much money are we talk'n here? 100's, 1000's ?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. We're talking 1000's. Considering the fact that just since 1/1/08, she has stolen over $4000, it's scary to think how long this might have been going on and how much money was taken.

He pretty much had to confront her today. He has a lot of trouble hiding his emotions. And besides, she will know something's up when she comes into work and sees all the checks gone from her desk.

I'm still awaiting a callback from him to see how it went, but I'm nervous for him.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
1. Rule # 1: Never hire friends or family. If you have a friend or family member that needs a job, help them find one elsewhere.
2. Rule # 2: Always sign your own checks. Oprah Winfrey has a huge organization yet she still signs each check. Like she said "when you don't sign your own checks, you are not incontrol of your business anymore"

Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 AM

He's definitely not hiring any more friends and is signing all his checks. Of course that doesn't help him with what has gone on, though.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
A lawyer might be able to make it seem as if the Accountant knew of it all and participated AND I'm guessing he has alot too loose. I would get a lawyer and tell the people if they pay the money back with reasonable interest, I wouldn't press charges. If they give trouble then I would bring it all out.

They don't have any interest in bringing Uncle Sam into it, they would have to pay back taxes on the money, they have alot more to loose then he does.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Lindsey, thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone would say that. I dont want this situation to escalate into a "well, if you go after me, i'll have the government go after you..." Then again, if the secretary is desperate enough, she may do anything.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
If she tells on him about paying cash, she will still be liable for those income taxes won't she? The owner might get a fine for not paying them, but I think the secretary would still have her own penalties for not claiming income. She'd be an idiot if she went that route, and her husband would probably wind up facing penalties for bad accounting practices up to losing his certificated status.

Just fire her, quickly and without discussion.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
He should talk to a lawyer. I doubt there is a problem with his wife being on the payroll and his bookeeper could be regarding as providing a bookeeping service without the need for payroll taxes.

However, if she's taken that much money he'd better be mentally prepared that she won't be able to pay it back and he may have to send her to jail. No one wants to hire a thief so getting her off the job market will be doing everyone a favor. He may be able to put a lien against her house or maybe her husband can come through with repayment.

A sad situation. Oh, and he needs to notify the bank asap that she can no longer sign.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 03-10-2008 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Hire an attorney, terminate the relationship, press charges, pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business