Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 PM

174 posts, read 217,783 times

Advertisements

Hello CD,

I've been trying to set up business bank accounts for my loan broker business and banks have been denying my account strictly because of the type of business i will be doing (since they are doing loans also). I'm wondering if anyone knows about this issue and where I can get a business accounts set up for this business? Would a credit union work or am i likely to run into the same issue there?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 05:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
Hello CD,

I've been trying to set up business bank accounts for my loan broker business and banks have been denying my account strictly because of the type of business i will be doing (since they are doing loans also). I'm wondering if anyone knows about this issue and where I can get a business accounts set up for this business? Would a credit union work or am i likely to run into the same issue there?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
What? Banks offer accounts to other financial companies all the time. Do you have all of your paperwork in order? Tax IDs, LLC, or other incorporation filings, etc?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
...strictly because of the type of business i will be doing
I doubt that.

Is your business registered with the State you are in?
Incorporated?
Are you licensed and in compliance with the regulatory requirements that apply?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
It's not because your competition, it's because your considered a MSB or a money services business, get ready to call hundreds of banks before you "maybe" find one. Make sure you have an AML policy, a review of said policy, make sure you get whatever license is relevant for your state, and be prepared to keep a large balance with the bank basically as a bribe to accept you, to make it worth their while.

Not sure what your business is but if your thinkingi this is something you can get setup fairly easily think again, if that's the case maybe do lending club or some Bitcoin lending thing. To actually setup a real business in this space is nearly impossible because banks and processors blackball you.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM

174 posts, read 217,783 times
Well i managed to get an account at another bank. I'll probably end up moving my personal accounts from the first bank to the next one eventually to keep everything together.

To add more information, the banker at the first bank couldn't get past an internal validation because the name of my business had the word "Capital" in it. She suggested i change the name of my business which i didn't want to do, and was kind of insulted that was even suggested like they would open an account with me if i do the same business but don't have that one word in it? How does that make a difference? Perhaps if i talked to a different banker they would have figured something out but i i was never particularly attached to the first bank anyways.

When i talked to the other bank i was more specific upfront that i'm only a broker, not a lender, and the banker was kind of hesitant because of the money service business deal but set up the account anyways.

I do have all of my paperwork in order. I think part of the problem was also that i showed my license to the first bank, but the second bank i only showed my DBA with the intent of showing my license only if asked for.

Anyways, i did get an account so problem solved. Hope this was at least interesting to some of you!

Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Well i managed to get an account at another bank. I'll probably end up moving my personal accounts from the first bank to the next one eventually to keep everything together.

To add more information, the banker at the first bank couldn't get past an internal validation because the name of my business had the word "Capital" in it. She suggested i change the name of my business which i didn't want to do, and was kind of insulted that was even suggested like they would open an account with me if i do the same business but don't have that one word in it? How does that make a difference? Perhaps if i talked to a different banker they would have figured something out but i i was never particularly attached to the first bank anyways.

When i talked to the other bank i was more specific upfront that i'm only a broker, not a lender, and the banker was kind of hesitant because of the money service business deal but set up the account anyways.

I do have all of my paperwork in order. I think part of the problem was also that i showed my license to the first bank, but the second bank i only showed my DBA with the intent of showing my license only if asked for.

Anyways, i did get an account so problem solved. Hope this was at least interesting to some of you!

Well there is that huge bank with the same name (Capital One), so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business