U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM

5,388 posts, read 3,606,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post

One warning, when taking a prepaid USPS package to the post office be sure to ask for a receipt, that forces the counter guy to scan it into the tracking system right then and the package does not go into the 'steal me' pile. Learned this the hard way twice.
You are correct!! Our post office is horrible and we have been more successful getting our carriers to pick up our outgoing packages, scan them, and then they leave the same day.

I've had 4 overnight Priority Express packages NOT leave the building when they were taken in and either dropped in the correct slot or laid on the counter where they tell you to lay it, HOURS before closing.

I've actually heard them tell another customer, "how do you know you left it on the counter before 5 yesterday?" "Because you lock the doors at 5!!" They are horrible.

If we have something that must go out, we'll stand in line and get that receipt that they scanned it in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 AM

28,313 posts, read 21,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
Don't ever take something to a UPS store or some such independent to box up (or even just ship) something.
They have a high markup to cover their costs.
Where else do you take it? I know there is going to be some markup, but like I said, I don't do this enough to warrant keeping a bunch of shipping supplies on hand. If the post office marks it up by a buck or two, I'm fine with that.

Two more items sold last night. Should bring about $60. One guy paid, but has -1 feedback

Basically what I need to do is..

1) Never attempt to sell a big item like that case again. If it cannot fit into a USPS priority box, it's probably not worth the effort unless it is very expensive.

2) Do more "buy it now" listings with a listing 13% above what I actually want to cover eBay/Paypal fees.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:33 PM

13,378 posts, read 18,365,411 times
I ran ebay store for 3.5 years. Had direct supplier from China. Nothing major. RC FPV kits.
I shut it down after that period of time.
Reason was simple.
You can't compete with a China man. Competition was always there, with always something new, better, and CHEAPER. yes, it'd take them a bit longer to ship from China or HK, but they were CHEAPER. My supplier would go cheaper only when bought in much larger quantities and I'd not invest that much into it. And I was buying from direct manufacturer.
So I finally waved my hand at it. Reason I shut it down after 3 years was pragmatic. IRS wants you to show profit after 3 years. Otherwise, it helped quite a bit with taxes. "small business expense".
That's about it. I'd rather be selling on craigslist, to be honest.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:34 PM

22,374 posts, read 21,446,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Where else do you take it? I know there is going to be some markup, but like I said, I don't do this enough to warrant keeping a bunch of shipping supplies on hand. If the post office marks it up by a buck or two, I'm fine with that.

Two more items sold last night. Should bring about $60. One guy paid, but has -1 feedback

Basically what I need to do is..

1) Never attempt to sell a big item like that case again. If it cannot fit into a USPS priority box, it's probably not worth the effort unless it is very expensive.

2) Do more "buy it now" listings with a listing 13% above what I actually want to cover eBay/Paypal fees.
Somewhere within your ebay settings there's an option to not accept bids/sales from anyone without a certain number of feedback. There are all sorts of settings within your ebay preferences.

You can use Best Offer if you want to but just price it higher in the first place. Yes, use Buy it Now. That protects it from selling for the opening bid. If you want to use auction, then price it at a "happy" price, a price that you would be happy with. Because so often it will only go for opening bid.

If I'm selling something big and heavy like a sewing machine, it will go on CL, not ebay.

When pricing, check around and see what comparable items sold for--type in a similar item to yours and then hit Completeds. That shows you what things actually sold for as opposed to what people are just trying to get for them.

It's always a good idea to have a few USPS boxes and envelopes on hand. They fold flat and don't take up that much room. Also, wide tape and maybe some bubble wrap. Print the labels yourself out of ebay to get a discount. It's a good idea to put a wide strip of clear tape over the label so it won't get wet and smear.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,404,869 times
Quote:
$18 included tax and additional insurance for the $300 the camera is worth. I think the box was $13.50. No, I'm not getting the prepaid labels. If you do, do you just take the label to the post office and then they give you the box?

The problem I'm having with the shipping is that I had not done this in so long, that everything I knew was well out of date.

I have a couple of items going out tomorrow and a book going out before the end of the week. They'll be going out in flat rate boxes and are not large, so the listed shipping costs should be fine.
When I sold items on ebay, I would always charge extra if the buyer wanted insurance.

Also, for the book, ship it media mail.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:46 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,404,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I ran ebay store for 3.5 years. Had direct supplier from China. Nothing major. RC FPV kits.
Reason was simple.
You can't compete with a China man. Competition was always there, with always something new, better, and CHEAPER. yes, it'd take them a bit longer to ship from China or HK, but they were CHEAPER. My supplier would go cheaper only when bought in much larger quantities and I'd not invest that much into it. And I was buying from direct manufacturer.
So I finally waved my hand at it. Reason I shut it down after 3 years was pragmatic. IRS wants you to show profit after 3 years. Otherwise, it helped quite a bit with taxes. "small business expense".
I remember buying a headphone splitter many years back. Shipped from China, the final bid (and only bid) was a nickel. Yes, I paid 5 cents to buy a headphone splitter and have it shipped from Hong Kong. It lasted roughly 3 years before I finally tossed it. Best 5 cents I've ever spent.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 PM

28,419 posts, read 67,546,433 times
My brother did this for a while. He bought things at auctions and local yard sales. He was really good at recognizing things that would sell for more money and he was good at doing the write ups. He netted about $70k a year after expenses. Not a great living, but not terrible.

It wa amazing the things he knew would be worth a lot. A wheelchair motor controller for example, or three electric ford Rangers (I think he made about $25K on those alone).

Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM

28,313 posts, read 21,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My brother did this for a while. He bought things at auctions and local yard sales. He was really good at recognizing things that would sell for more money and he was good at doing the write ups. He netted about $70k a year after expenses. Not a great living, but not terrible.

It wa amazing the things he knew would be worth a lot. A wheelchair motor controller for example, or three electric ford Rangers (I think he made about $25K on those alone).
A net of $70k would likely be into the lower-mid $100k range around here. That's a corporate director/possibly VP salary at local wages. It's a damn fine living by local standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Reason was simple.
I'm mostly liquidating household junk. I love going to yard sales, flea markets, junk stores, etc., and if I felt I could reasonably make a profit, I would do so. When I lived in a wealthy suburb of Indianapolis, you could often get really nice stuff at yard sales, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. I found an industrial HP Laserjet printer that was around $1,300 at retail back in 2005 (when it came out) for $10 out. I fixed a few parts in it, kept it a year or two, the power cord's insulation started smoking, and I fixed that too. Thing is still going strong after several change outs of ~$10 parts. I could probably get $100 out of it, but it's worth more to me for my own personal use. Ten years ago, I'd be more willing to buy stuff to try and turn a profit, but that door seems mostly closed now.

I live in a poor community now. The odds of finding anything useful or valuable locally are probably slim to none. The market seems to have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
When I sold items on ebay, I would always charge extra if the buyer wanted insurance.

Also, for the book, ship it media mail.
I was at the PO today and looked for media mail. No longer exists on their signage. I'll ask. I think they still have a parcel post option.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM

280 posts, read 432,270 times
Default re: pick ups on eBay

Quite frankly though, if you're getting a number of eBay sales with local pickup, you're "doing it wrong".
(Well, unless you're selling huge quantities of things on there.)

For local sales where people want to pick my things up in person, I still have no cost options to advertise them like Craigslist, Facebook, or even those iPhone based apps like "Quikr" or "letgo". It's a shame to give eBay that much of your sale price on those.

I like eBay for all the things I can't sell in a reasonable time-frame by only advertising to an audience who lives near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
You don't charge them for picking up. You give BOTH options if you so choose to. Some things cost alot to ship so if people live nearby, it used to be they could save money by picking it up.

Offer that option along with shipping and it will be taxed just as the price of the item is. Ebays shipping is more expensive anyway....without the extra fees...versus amazon.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:44 AM

3,214 posts, read 3,010,870 times
Quote:
I was at the PO today and looked for media mail. No longer exists on their signage. I'll ask. I think they still have a parcel post option.
USPS does not publicize media mail because it is cheap. It exists and, if you sell on ebay, should be one of the shipping options you can use (all your mailing labels, with postage, should be printed through ebay because you receive a small discount on some services).
https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c059
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business