Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
I have 12 rental units and have flipped a few houses. Do you realize the up front costs to even getting into flipping. I have bought a few houses on the court house steps. You must bring cashier check for the entire price of the foreclosed home. Lenders are requiring such an insane percentage down for rental property I thought my lender was pulling my leg. The last flip I did (last year) I didn't make one penney in profit, I did sell and get what I put into it (and was very thankfull) but 3 months of work for nothing. Unless one has a lot of cash to inverst and sit on for a few years, I wouldn't even entertain the idea in this crazy economy.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
If you don't know anything about the business, now is DEFINITELY not the time to get in to flipping houses. Experienced house flippers are getting pummeled by the declining housing market right now. No need to jump in as a novice. I halfway think your post is a joke because I cannot imagine that anyone living in the U.S. is not aware of how bad the housing market has gotten. To make money flipping houses, you would be best off doing it in a robust market.
What a foolish comment. Certain areas in the U.S. have come close to bottoming. Where I'm from in Ohio, you can find some decent finds for under $15,000 and even one for $9,000. In certain areas here in California, I expect the experienced to wait it out a bit more - I expect to see it dropping 10-20% more percent. It really depends on where you're looking, but now is the BEST time to start looking into buying or at the very least, learning how to get into the business. You'll have to hold on to your purchase a bit, but if you have the capital to do so, buying now could lead to major fortunes when we're all out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business