Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 AM

134 posts, read 118,753 times

Advertisements

I recently tried to create a separate account from my own just for the purpose of selling. While I seem to be able to get approved for the same individual selling groups I belonged to under my original account, I wasn't able to access Facebook Marketplace getting a message about not belonging to the audience (something like that). I had all my settings set to public. I contacted Facebook about the issue and now, after a couple of days, not only can I no longer report issues with Marketplace (that as a reporting issue topic seems to have disappeared), but I also no longer have the Marketplace icon to click on to take me to the Marketplace site. What's going on and it seems a deliberate act by Facebook to not allow me access to Marketplace? I have no problems reaching Marketplace from my original account.

Now I know I'm not going to get rich from Marketplace (in fact, I only sell about 1 out of 10 items I list there), I still don't like the fact that it has totally disappeared from an account I created specifically for selling.

Any ideas what's going on? Was Facebook's response to my initial problem inquiries to proceed with the aforementioned actions? By the way, they never have responded in writing.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
I recently tried to create a separate account from my own just for the purpose of selling. While I seem to be able to get approved for the same individual selling groups I belonged to under my original account, I wasn't able to access Facebook Marketplace getting a message about not belonging to the audience (something like that). I had all my settings set to public. I contacted Facebook about the issue and now, after a couple of days, not only can I no longer report issues with Marketplace (that as a reporting issue topic seems to have disappeared), but I also no longer have the Marketplace icon to click on to take me to the Marketplace site. What's going on and it seems a deliberate act by Facebook to not allow me access to Marketplace? I have no problems reaching Marketplace from my original account.

Now I know I'm not going to get rich from Marketplace (in fact, I only sell about 1 out of 10 items I list there), I still don't like the fact that it has totally disappeared from an account I created specifically for selling.

Any ideas what's going on? Was Facebook's response to my initial problem inquiries to proceed with the aforementioned actions? By the way, they never have responded in writing.

Thank you.
I'm no expert, but I believe Facebook doesn't allow "secondary" accounts. They ideally want every individual to have their own account, and no more. Some couples have joint facebook accounts which is actually against Facebooks T&C, but they get away with it. I wouldn't expect them to help you if you told them that you created a separate account. Why not use your original account if you're not doing anything shady?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
This is facebooks answer to ridding spam and scam accounts. I believe only personal accounts are allowed to sell on Facebook marketplace, but some Facebook selling groups seem to allow business pages to also sell.

I have seen some local thrift stores promote their business pages on marketplace through their personal accounts, a few local stores have really thrives doing that.

I personally like how Facebook has it setup. Otherwise it would be similar to craigslist where every 10th post is a scam or spam.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Selling groups are different than the marketplace. The marketplace is a Facebook created featured, and on paper, I think any account should be able to use it. I'm not that familiar with it though.

Selling groups are generally private, invitation only groups run by an admin that isn't affiliated with Facebook, and generally serve a local area or special interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business