Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Obviously, its operating costs are greater than its ability to operate.

There's nothing at Toys "R" Us that you can't get at Amazon (for less) or some other web-site (for less).

I haven't been in a Toys "R" Us in more than 25 years. I went there to buy a handheld electronic baseball game for my nephew who was in hospital and to buy a handheld electronic football game (made by the same company), which I was very fond of, and which was destroyed when we crashed and burned in the Harz Mountains coming out of Wolfenbüttel.

Sells for $429 on E-bay. Imagine that.
Why do so many posters on this board make references to toys, movies, television shows, etc. from 30 plus years ago?

The thing is, Toys R Us was a place where parents and kids could see and touch the toys before ordering. It was kind of fun. What will be funny is if Amazon opens a toy store like they are doing now with book stores in malls after putting so many book stores out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
I used to LOVE browsing in Toys R Us as a kid. I was obsessed with the Barbie aisle.

Oddly enough, I've only ever been twice myself since having kids- once to Babies R Us and once to Toys R Us. Our local TRU was looted during the Ferguson riots and closed for good shortly after. Even before that though, the one time I went I found it to be dead of customers, dirty, poorly stocked and not organized.

For toys that I need immediately (ie, last minute birthday gift or potty training reward), Wal-Mart and Target are more convenient. For gifts that don't need to arrive immediately, Amazon is my go to. I'm sure most other parents are the same nowadays.

I'm kind of sad, but not at all surprised.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed.

And I suspect that more of those big box stores will be going down. I needed some crabgrass preventer for my yard. Did I go to Lowes or Home Depot? Nope. Few clicks on Amazon and it was here the next day for less money than I would have paid in the BB stores.
True. We only go to the hardware/home improvement stores if we need something now and it can't wait even a day. The same with Auto parts stores.

My husband and I usually just order on Amazon for cheaper if it is something we can wait a couple of days for. Obviously we can't do that for everything- unexpected projects do pop up... but we do it for most things.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
What about Babies R US? They do good there. Wonder if they are shutting that down. Babies R Us is targets main competitor in the baby world .
Both Babies R Us locations near me (St. Louis County) are closing for good. Their closure announcements actually came in January.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 PM

39 posts, read 37,140 times
Netflix is what killed Blockbuster. Amazon is what's killing Toys R Us. Xbox Store, and Steam is what will kill Gamestop.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why do so many posters on this board make references to toys, movies, television shows, etc. from 30 plus years ago?

The thing is, Toys R Us was a place where parents and kids could see and touch the toys before ordering. It was kind of fun. What will be funny is if Amazon opens a toy store like they are doing now with book stores in malls after putting so many book stores out of business.
yes it was fun for us decades ago

TRS is going the same place as 'Playworld", 'Childworld', 'KB-Toys' , 'Zainy-brainy', 'Noodle-kadoodle', 'circus-world', 'FAOSchwarz", 'kiddie-city', 'natural-wonders', WBstore, discoverychannel store, Imaginarium,

circusworld was sold to KBtoys, which TRS bought...TRS also boughtout FAO and Imaginarium

Target is barely staying afloat...

Amazon will win the retail wars

Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 AM

My genuine feeling for Bricks and Motar stores in the vein of TRU is that they need to offer something, an experience beyond shopping/browsing that you cannot get online.

If I owned a toy store like TRU, I would dedicate half the space to a pay-to-play area with toys, an exceptional indoor adventure playground, and coffee/snack seating area for parents. You can't do that for your kids online.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Their points program was screwy, never got anything for the hundreds I spent there. I stopped going there a couple of years ago. I refuse to shop at Amazon, I will order from Target of Walmart though. Get a lot of my toys from neighborhood shops, even Barnes and Noble.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
The UK subsidiary of Toys R Us is also closing.

'Toys R Us' ran in to trouble due to a leveraged buyout which led to lots of debt, the company itself would still be making a profit if it weren't for the debt racked up by the buyout.

The whole sad saga is explained here.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-10-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Well, I guess kids don't like toys anymore. Just hand them a tablet.
Pretty sad. I'm glad my DD and SIL don't allow my grandsons have electronic devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business