U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 AM

3,682 posts, read 2,047,380 times

Advertisements

Prices are still a bit low but I need the cash and more stuff to do. I have a strong 4WD truck, electric winches, and a few stout trailers.

Of course I would also deal in copper and lead. Its just that prices are comparatively low compared to metro areas and previous pricing inducements.

Would be pretty easy to run a Craigslist ad and see what happens. Thought there might be a few CD souls with some experience is such an adventure.

A few weeks ago I was wondering about rural chainsaw work. Decided that would be too dangerous plus very high insurance costs. City chainsaw work would make more sense. Rural folks would likely do it themselves unless they feared dropping a tree on a house etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:51 AM

5,221 posts, read 2,954,806 times
Technically, any scrap yard the pays any vendor (that's you) more than $600 in any year is supposed to issue you a 1099 for those purchases. That may or may not cause the IRS to reach out to you.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 PM

4,757 posts, read 6,432,876 times
I gave a buddy a ride down to the local scrap yard. He had just pulled a dead battery out of his car. They handed him $13 bucks for it. I had no idea you could do that.

Made me wonder where the hell can I find a bunch of old batteries.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 AM

11,791 posts, read 13,670,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Technically, any scrap yard the pays any vendor (that's you) more than $600 in any year is supposed to issue you a 1099 for those purchases. That may or may not cause the IRS to reach out to you.
I have never heard of that happening.......visit a scrap yard and see the "clientele' and you will quickly realize these folks aren't 1%r's

Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Prices are still a bit low but I need the cash and more stuff to do. I have a strong 4WD truck, electric winches, and a few stout trailers.

Of course I would also deal in copper and lead. Its just that prices are comparatively low compared to metro areas and previous pricing inducements.

Would be pretty easy to run a Craigslist ad and see what happens. Thought there might be a few CD souls with some experience is such an adventure.

A few weeks ago I was wondering about rural chainsaw work. Decided that would be too dangerous plus very high insurance costs. City chainsaw work would make more sense. Rural folks would likely do it themselves unless they feared dropping a tree on a house etc.
#2 Copper was almost $2.80 a lb, I think last year it sunk to $1.60ish.

I don't scrap much but do run a trip annually which nets me $300-400+/- on stuff I need to throw away anyway. I stockpile everything in the corner of my warehouse and usually pay a kid $10 an hour to strip/sort it.

I don't bother with steel (nickel a pound) as it is usually too bulky to store. The local scrappers I see certainly don't seem rich so I can't see driving around trying to accumulate scrap for much more than beer money. One guy was a school bus driver so he frequently "saw stuff" while doing his route then after work he would run over and pick it up in his truck.

I like the recycling angle but to me it is a dirty business that I would not want to do daily.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 AM

5,221 posts, read 2,954,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have never heard of that happening.......visit a scrap yard and see the "clientele' and you will quickly realize these folks aren't 1%r's
Oh I know they aren't the blue bloods, but the IRS still requires that it be done. The scrapyard I use has loyalty cards they use to track you with. No card, no cash.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Oh I know they aren't the blue bloods, but the IRS still requires that it be done. The scrapyard I use has loyalty cards they use to track you with. No card, no cash.
If a scrap yard asked for my SS# I wouldn't give it......place is sketchy enough!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 831,177 times
We used to scrap or "Mongo" in NYC. Back then copper was $3/pound, aluminum was high, as well as stainless steel. Back then 2005-2008 or so, you could easily pull in $1000 per month.
Good times, and no one was taking ss numbers.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,220 posts, read 43,010,343 times
Since you are in Southern Colorado... start a 'defensible Space' business (chainsaw + more)

There are sometimes federal and local funds to help people protect their homes from Wildfire.

While you are cleaning up their places... you will find LOTS of 'free' Scrap iron. (with your chainsaw )
http://www.readyforwildfire.org/Defensible-Space/
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...p_737_fs_4.pdf

Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM

3,251 posts, read 1,096,075 times
Understand that there are criminals and thieves who go breaking into homes and ripping the copper pipes out of them, reselling them to the scrap yards. Other metals are also stripped from houses (like aluminum siding).

As a result, laws were passed that placed heavy regulation on the scrap yards.

Come into a scrap yard with lots of metal, and you'll be asked for ID, and be required to sign an affidavit that you obtained everything legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business