U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 03:10 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,141,944 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, so feel free to move it mod if there's a better place.

Here's my predicament...

I'm building a website for my dad's business. He registered a domain and has a hosting acct. through HostMonster. I built him webpages using DreamWeaver more or less for me to learn it b/c I didn't know it before. Well, neither one of us want to spend the $600+ to buy Dreamweaver, so now the trial has run out. Within the trial time, I have created a new site (similar to the old one) on BlueVoda. I thought it was a free website building tool. I downloaded it and easily created a website. I was pretty excited. Well, to publish, you have to be hosted by them. My dad just recently paid $200 for HostMonster and BlueVoda would be another $200. I feel bad and don't want to ask him to do this but don't know of another good webpage building tool that is actually free, really don't want to build a 3rd website (about 20 pages), but don't want to get taken by this company. I read about them and some people say they're not good to use. Someone said I could get around it by naming my sites .html and publishing to my ftp.

If anyone has any suggestions at all - I'm so lost!!

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 PM

4,295 posts, read 13,750,187 times
Some ideas...

1. You could buy Dreamweaver at a discount if you're a student or if you know someone that is a student maybe they can do it for you. Just type in Google student software discounts for places to buy.

2. If you saved the site on your computer, you can buy Frontpage probably cheap right now or borrow it from someone and just copy what you already created and publish with the site your dad already paid for. You can probably even use notepad.

3. If you do have the site on your computer or have access to it and can copy it, you can save it on a disc and have someone with the proper software take it from there and recreate, then publish.

4. Call you dad's hosting company, hopefully they have good customer service and tell them your situation. They might be able to suggest something.

If you don't have the site saved anywhere and don't have access to them unless you pay, then I'm not sure what to tell you. You might have to start over or maybe your dad can call and ask for a refund from the company he used? I know the company I use will refund money and only charge from the time I ordered the plan until when I asked for my account to be deleted.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:59 PM

2,952 posts, read 12,488,962 times
Hold on there - if you built the site in Dreamweaver, then Frontpage is going to really create problems.

Have you tried yahoo and google? You might be able to utilize one of their on-line tools - building websites is changing and you may not have to use an application to achieve your goal. Good luck!!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM

16,482 posts, read 22,087,892 times
Be careful! You cannot make any money on making a webpage with the student version of Dreamweaver. Yes, you can buy a student version cheaper but you are not allowed to make any type of website that can make money or bring business which thus makes money.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks everyone. I was able to create the website using BlueVoda and it's working great. Well, pretty good for a beginner like me, I guess! Still have A LOT of work to do. Any suggestions are WELCOMED!! Thanks again.

Last edited by Global Friend; 03-30-2008 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: sorry, can't advertise it here

Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Hold on there - if you built the site in Dreamweaver, then Frontpage is going to really create problems.

Have you tried yahoo and google? You might be able to utilize one of their on-line tools - building websites is changing and you may not have to use an application to achieve your goal. Good luck!!
I just meant he can copy the content w/o recreating everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Be careful! You cannot make any money on making a webpage with the student version of Dreamweaver. Yes, you can buy a student version cheaper but you are not allowed to make any type of website that can make money or bring business which thus makes money.
I never heard that before, that's true with every site? I have a friend that's a graphic designer and buys all of her software that way and can use it for whatever she wants. Including Dreamweaver, Flash, Adobe...Maybe she knows some way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
Thanks everyone. I was able to create the website using BlueVoda and it's working great. Well, pretty good for a beginner like me, I guess! Still have A LOT of work to do. Any suggestions are WELCOMED!! Thanks again.
That's great! Good luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 AM

i didn't know that was considered advertising... ):

Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 PM

We're not permitted to post personal or (our) business web sites on here. That was in the TOS when you signed up on the site, sorry. You can put the site as your home page in your profile for others to view if you like.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM

It's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business