U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 AM

24,638 posts, read 32,276,528 times

Advertisements

If rural folks want shops, they have to support those shops by spending money in those shops. No shop is staying open without paying customers.

That's the bottom line.

Flip side is that shops, in order to stay in business, must offer goods that locals want and will pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 05:41 AM

6,899 posts, read 3,114,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If rural folks want shops, they have to support those shops by spending money in those shops. No shop is staying open without paying customers.

That's the bottom line.

Flip side is that shops, in order to stay in business, must offer goods that locals want and will pay for.
This is true. Consumers are willing to pay a little more if they are getting good quality and good service.

People talk about Wal-Mart as if it's the devil, how it devours mom and pop stores in small markets. In truth, it does. But if the mom and pops delivered for their customers, they'd still be in business.

It's kind of like hardware stores. You have the Home Depots of the world and you have your corner hardware stores. If I'm just picking up some light bulbs or new numbers for my mailbox, off to Home Depot I go. I can find what I need quickly, pay, and leave.

On the other hand, if I have a question or don't want to drive 20 minutes further to Home Depot, I head to the local guys. They can answer my question and usually have what I need.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,338 posts, read 58,955,542 times
I don't know how one would expect a mall to survive in a rural area, in fact why would they even build one there?

The "countryside" is not going to have the kind of population and incomes to support a mall, even before the competition from internet sales. The two successful malls near us are in Bellevue, WA with a population of 141,000 and growing, median household income $104,839. They also draw in people from other nearby cities

of population of 40-65,000 with similar or higher incomes. In the article's featured example, Ottumwa, there are only 24,000 people, median income only $38,095.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or