Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:43 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,573,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That software has been available for years.
The software to collect sales tax from any state you want is built in every website, but I'm talking about the labor involved afterwards to break down the sales by state from all sources, then get licenses from every state, report and file 50 different forms. Not an easy task at all if you sell over several websites, phone orders, checks, etc.

I haven't seen the $100,000 minimum per state as an official number anywhere. If it's true, that would be great, maybe that would encourage people to buy from more small businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM

1,406 posts, read 791,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's a good point. The sales tax varies within a state by county, and even city. Within a few weeks I think we'll see companies offering sales tax software for websites, for a big fat price.
"Don't mind the crazy regulatory burden, just buy a complex and unnecessary third party product that someone will eventually make" is a stupid argument.

If I walk into a physical store and buy their product, they don't have to know where I live. They just charge sale tax based on where I bought the product. Same should be true in the online world.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 PM

5,012 posts, read 2,949,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
"Don't mind the crazy regulatory burden, just buy a complex and unnecessary third party product that someone will eventually make" is a stupid argument.

If I walk into a physical store and buy their product, they don't have to know where I live. They just charge sale tax based on where I bought the product. Same should be true in the online world.
The difference is the small online business that sold and delivered the product to you is not located in your state. To get legal with your state, they have to open a tax account, fill out a bunch of forms, perhaps pay a fee. Then every month or quarter they have to file a return and pay whatever tax is due. What a pain in the a$$, especially for areas where the order volume is low and the profits won't even cover the overhead cost to deal with the tax paperwork.

I'm sure some sharpies will pop up to offer a service, probably a flat rate fee where they set you up in all 50 then skim a percentage off the top on sales.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:29 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,796,466 times
Now that states will have the power to impose taxes on retailers in other states, I expect California now to impose an additional Carbon Tax on those retailers in other states... And to audit retailers in other states for compliance with CA Prop 65... and of course those audits will be required to be in-person in Sacramento...

Let Ten Thousand Regulators Bloom...

Old 06-25-2018, 06:44 AM

9,795 posts, read 7,065,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The software to collect sales tax from any state you want is built in every website, but I'm talking about the labor involved afterwards to break down the sales by state from all sources, then get licenses from every state, report and file 50 different forms. Not an easy task at all if you sell over several websites, phone orders, checks, etc.

I haven't seen the $100,000 minimum per state as an official number anywhere. If it's true, that would be great, maybe that would encourage people to buy from more small businesses.
I'm sure that the software suppliers have the option to handle that for you.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post

That's right! Amen.

I actually have 2 retail licenses with our state, one for our brick & mortar that we pay monthly and one for the internet/phone sales side that we pay quarterly.

The brick & mortar one takes no more than 5 minutes, print a monthly sales report from the register and put the total in the state website, boom.

The other one takes several hours to compile the data, pull out our in state sales from each source, determine the total sales for each county, putting it all on a spreadsheet then filing the info on the state website.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Now that states will have the power to impose taxes on retailers in other states, I expect California now to impose an additional Carbon Tax on those retailers in other states... And to audit retailers in other states for compliance with CA Prop 65... and of course those audits will be required to be in-person in Sacramento...

Let Ten Thousand Regulators Bloom...
They are already on it!

Got a call Thursday from one of our CA wholesale suppliers. They are being audited by the FTB. Most of our orders are shipped to us in another state, but occasionally we will have them drop ship to our CA customers.

They were instructed that they needed to charge sales tax on wholesale orders from their resellers that are being drop shipped to any CA address, or we could get a permit with CA so we could collect/pay the tax.

I honestly don't think this is a law. For example:

CA customer buys $100 worth of merchandise from us and our website doesn't charge them tax because they're out of state.

We buy the merchandise from our wholesaler for $60 and have them drop ship because it's better for the customer, they get the items faster. They have our reseller license on file, but FTB wants them to charge us tax. We aren't the retail customer, they don't know the retail price because WE are the seller, not the factory we buy from. They are reaching here. If this is true, we will have to change how we ship and the customer will have worse service.

One of our other suppliers was audited by FTB in 1996. We also had them drop ship to our customers. FTB required us to send them all our CA customer invoices to prove that we were the seller. We did, everything was done correctly and they still drop ship for us.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
All in all... this whole drama seems to be yet another example
of how we have outgrown our 18th century organization model for governance.

What do we need with 50 separate sets of rules and laws?
Let alone the addition divisions within each of the 50?

Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM

5,012 posts, read 2,949,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
All in all... this whole drama seems to be yet another example
of how we have outgrown our 18th century organization model for governance.

What do we need with 50 separate sets of rules and laws?
Let alone the addition divisions within each of the 50?
So get started with your Constitutional amedment(s). Easy-peasy right?

Maybe, just maybe, the correct answer is less taxes and regulations. The bloodthirsty bastards that populate state governments produce nothing of value, but they constantly want more for their "work".

Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So get started with your Constitutional amedment(s). Easy-peasy right?
Not in the least... but the first step is always about getting more agreeing.

Maybe, just maybe, the correct answer is less taxes and regulations.
I think so. I like the term streamline. Local administration of the same statutes everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business