Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 PM

270 posts, read 210,469 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking to start a Chinese take out. Does anyone have experience with this or work in one? How much do I need, what is the average income? I'm in the researching process now with location search, equipment. When it say need 100k, is that 100k to start a business overall from start to opening or is how much to have in hand for 1 year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 11:07 AM

10,711 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I'm thinking to start a Chinese take out. Does anyone have experience with this or work in one? How much do I need, what is the average income? I'm in the researching process now with location search, equipment. When it say need 100k, is that 100k to start a business overall from start to opening or is how much to have in hand for 1 year?

How long have you worked in the restaurant industry in general, and specifically in Chinese takeout restaurants?

Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 PM

740 posts, read 455,774 times
Location and great food means everything. And even with that, the profits may be very thin. My uncle had a Chinese restaurant before and it wasn't worth the effort. Get to the place at 5 am in the morning and left at 1 am in the morning. Had all his kids working for him too.

I told my uncle that if he let his kids go work elsewhere and he close shop, they would be better off. And that's what he did after 2 years in the business.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:53 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't even know where to start. If you don't know how to add up the costs to start a restaurant, I don't see how an Internet forum can teach you how to start up a business.

Plan on a minimum of two years before a new restaurant will support itself.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Location and great food means everything. And even with that, the profits may be very thin. My uncle had a Chinese restaurant before and it wasn't worth the effort. Get to the place at 5 am in the morning and left at 1 am in the morning. Had all his kids working for him too.

I told my uncle that if he let his kids go work elsewhere and he close shop, they would be better off. And that's what he did after 2 years in the business.
If the margins are so thin why do so many continue to do it?

Here in Queens, NY a restaurant opens up every minute. Even the bad restaurants in general get consistent traffic and not necessarily from new patrons either. There is just a plethora of lazy people that want cheap quick food that taste even somewhat good and have virtually no standards.

You're talking one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world and people managed to operate low quality establishments based on laziness and foot traffic alone. The foot traffic you would think would not balance out the lack of repeats over time, but somehow these places remain afloat

Old 07-02-2018, 03:40 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
If the margins are so thin why do so many continue to do it?
There are plenty of "restaurants" that make their money doing things other than selling food. A big chunk of the local economy in most small towns revolves around stuff that is off the radar. The local police are either in on it or often just clueless.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:16 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I used to own a small restaurant. How much is needed to start depends on a whole bunch of factors like rent, any premium paid for the space, any other income you have, etc. I have no idea what the average income is, but I do know many restaurants never make money before they close down. Unless you have experience in OWNING a restaurant, are partnering with someone who does, are filthy rich, or live in a very low cost of living area, I'd very strongly suggest against opening a restaurant as a way of making money. It really is one of the toughest jobs out there, and unlike other tough jobs, if you have no experience you'll probably lose money, maybe a lot of money.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:27 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
There are plenty of "restaurants" that make their money doing things other than selling food. A big chunk of the local economy in most small towns revolves around stuff that is off the radar. The local police are either in on it or often just clueless.
Drugs???

Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Stay far away from the restaurant business. However, for those that insist on getting into it anyway read this book by Anthony Bordain Kitchen Confidential first at least twice. I worked in the resturant business before (not as an owner) and everything is this book is gospel.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confi...YQJ5398SXNSQ9S

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM

185 posts, read 143,182 times
1.) Work for a Chinese "Take-Out" restaurant that you like for six months.
2.) Establish a great relationship with the owner.
3.) If after an additional six months, you still like the idea, offer to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business