Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM

1,063 posts, read 690,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Since you are a message therapist why aren't you starting a business that relates to this?
Too much liability in terms of civil and criminal penalties from false allegations. Can't imagine any insurance company that would insure them at a semi-decent rate these days.

MassageEnvy/MassageAnywhere and the other one have terrible reviews. Mostly from people who don't speak English and miscommunication. You shouldn't be allowed to use that service or be a masseuse if you are unable to speak and understand intermediate English, to avoid complications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM

330 posts, read 247,309 times
Papa Johns or Marcos Pizza.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
I once went to a trade show where the franchisor for a competitor of my family business had a display. They advertised that "anyone can run the business." Having developed the expertise and skills over several years at my business I knew this wasn't true. Fast forward a couple of years, and one of that franchise opened up just two blocks from my business. About 6 months later, their landlord called to see if I wanted to buy any of their equipment or supplies. They had walked away and just left everything.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,573,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Aside from loans aren’t there grants for 1st time business startups? Am I comparing this to getting a home too much?
Honestly? There's no loans or grants for starting a business.

You fund it yourself from your own savings, credit cards, second mortgages, inheritance, working a second or third job, whatever.

It is nothing like getting a loan for an existing asset like a house, which the bank can take back.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 3,809 times
I was actually considering opening a gym this way. There are gym franchises for opening a decent gym with a smaller membership cost so you can actually fill it up with users. I've been researching for a while and I feel that this is the only option for me and my owning a business I really want to own.

You need a great research, that is right, but nobody knows your abilities and your bank balance better then you. So... If you decide to do this - I wish you all the best!

Old 07-19-2018, 04:31 PM

233 posts, read 228,907 times
OP, this video might be helpful. I am a big fan of Dan and his teachings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGenV2sVkBE

Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM

185 posts, read 142,351 times
Word of caution from the above...

No such thing as a 'free lunch.' Absolutely no way that a business with any value will be passed to a stranger for no money. Ain't happening....

Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 AM

233 posts, read 228,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Word of caution from the above...

No such thing as a 'free lunch.' Absolutely no way that a business with any value will be passed to a stranger for no money. Ain't happening....
If that's your takeaway from the video.... well.

The main points are that you need to be thinking about outside the box, and that "money" or funding can be had as result of creating deal making.

He is not advocating any particular path but to be creative in your deal makings.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,249,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
If that's your takeaway from the video.... well.

The main points are that you need to be thinking about outside the box, and that "money" or funding can be had as result of creating deal making.

He is not advocating any particular path but to be creative in your deal makings.
This is what I got from the video! I’m currently working on this. And there are financing services and/or grants for new businesses. Like the AmberGrant for women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business