Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,432 times

Advertisements

Ever think that there are certain types of businesses that would clean up if they became 24/hour operations?

A few examples would be:

1. dentists (that back tooth never cracks mon-fri between 9AM - 4PM, nope it always seems to happen on Friday night during dinner at around 8PM or Saturday night while eating corn nuts at the local bar).

2. garages (car never break down Monday - Saturday 10AM - 6PM)

also plumbers, electricians and any other types of services that you may need at the most inopportune times.

What are some of your examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 02:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,270 times
According to me,

This is the top most types of business that would clean up if they became 24/hour operations & their related examples are:

1. Mobile Businesses: Consumers are increasingly looking for businesses that come to them, rather than vice versa.

2. Child-oriented Businesses: Parents are spending more and more on their children as school budgets continue to dwindle.

3. Sharing Economy Businesses: Applying the Uber and AirBnB model to other industries could land you a seriously profitable small business.

4. Online Education Businesses: Little overhead cost and easy distribution make the online education industry ripe for entrepreneurs looking to earn a profit and help others at the same time.

5. Freelance B2B Services: Ride the post-recession wave by offering your business acumen to other companies as an independent contractor.

I hope my these examples will helpful for all the members who grow our business.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:36 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Ever think that there are certain types of businesses that would clean up if they became 24/hour operations?
I can't think of any that could who aren't.
Few employee's want it regardless.

Maybe you should focus on all the businesses that SHOULD be 9-5 ...but changed.
Try to get them back

Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP, I totally agree with your premise. BUT there has to be enough population and demand to support the business.
There are plenty of people who work odd hours...the question is are there enough?

For decades, I worked 4p-midnight, or 3:30a until noon......I would have loved to have a 24 hour supermarket where I could shop on the way home to to work, or to have been able to have a dentist appointment at 1 a.m. The one supermarket that was open 24/7 went to closing at midnight.....manager said there was too much theft overnight. People would just run in, pick up stuff and run out the door.

In major population areas there are a very few all night daycare centers. And parents really use them.
And there is a 24/7 supermarket but not really near me.

I think the need is there, there's just not enough of it. We have some excellent convenient stores that are 24/7. BUT they're only convenience stores.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:

also plumbers, electricians and any other types of services that you may need at the most inopportune times.

Most skilled trades need access to a supply house of some sort, and those aren’t open 24x7. The trades carry a limited supply of parts, and they can’t always determine what’s gonna be needed at any given repair job. Even if a trade has a 24 hour service, they’re not gonna be able to perform every repair or service at night.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Dematologists.

We have a friend who is one. She says, "In my line of work, there are no dermatological emergencies."

Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Most skilled trades need access to a supply house of some sort, and those aren’t open 24x7. The trades carry a limited supply of parts, and they can’t always determine what’s gonna be needed at any given repair job. Even if a trade has a 24 hour service, they’re not gonna be able to perform every repair or service at night.
So basically the only way for say mechanics or electricians, to operate 24/7, it would have to be a parts supplier that decided to Branch out, meaning one company that had the warehouse surrounded by a lot of satellite shops throughout the city. Like an Amazon type operation. It would probably have to start off in a large densely populated major city and spread out from there.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:39 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^^ It depends on what the job is.
Just because we're talking about 24 hour appointments, doesn't mean we're talking about non-scheduled, emergency or last minute calls.....for example like being locked out unexpectedly.

There's no reason at all that Pep Boys can't be 24 hours maybe for only certain services where they already always have parts and equipment on site -- like oil changes, tune ups, tire installation, etc. I'm not saying there'd be enough business to make it worth their while. But just offer that as examples that not having parts isn't necessarily the reason certain services can't be provided. Also so what if a part needs to be ordered. They could order it, and still offer overnight installation...so people could drop the car off at night, and pick it up in the morning.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ It depends on what the job is.
Just because we're talking about 24 hour appointments, doesn't mean we're talking about non-scheduled, emergency or last minute calls.....for example like being locked out unexpectedly.

There's no reason at all that Pep Boys can't be 24 hours maybe for only certain services where they already always have parts and equipment on site -- like oil changes, tune ups, tire installation, etc. I'm not saying there'd be enough business to make it worth their while. But just offer that as examples that not having parts isn't necessarily the reason certain services can't be provided. Also so what if a part needs to be ordered. They could order it, and still offer overnight installation...so people could drop the car off at night, and pick it up in the morning.

Actually like I said in the OP "car never breaks down during regular business hours" and with the death of unions in this country many people are scared to take a day off work to deal with "car issues" dentist appointments etc etc....

So for the first company in a typically 9-5 business that does something like this will clean up.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Actually like I said in the OP...
And as I said ... your premise is whack.

Car breaks down Sunday at 1am? Tow it to your preferred repair shop.
The tow, the service you need at 1am, is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business