U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,955,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Just as a side note. With the e-commerce supply chain expected to grow as much as 25-30% a year for the next several years, industrial/distribution would be a great place to be.
That's a good point-Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:45 AM

24,654 posts, read 32,297,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
A completely turnkey operation rarely if ever exists, but hey who doesn’t love thinking about free money?

ATMs, laundromats, vending machines. I’m sure other posters have read about how these can work as good passive streams of income. ............

True passive money is very hard to come by. Funds invested in mutual funds or bonds, where you just turn it over to the fund manager and never check on it. Other than that, if you don't pay a lot of attention to your stocks, you will end up a loser.

you might be able to buy a large apartment building and turn it over to a management company, but if you don't pay attention to it, you aren't going to do well.

Shopping centers, turned over to management used to be an option, but, oops, they fell through the floor.

See the above? They are all huge investments. If you don't have a lot of money, you need to substitute labor investment for cash investment.

My father had coin laundries. They are very labor intensive. Patrons of coin laundries are pigs and the laundries must be cleaned many times a day. Vandalism is high, machines break because they are overloaded and abused. In this day and age of meth heads, robbery might be a concern. Laundries are in bad areas because expensive areas come with in-home laundry hook-ups and laundromats contain cash.

Vending machine must be serviced, stocked and cleaned. ATM's must be serviced, stocked and cleaned. You don't set them out on the sidewalk and forget they are there while your profits get wired into your bank account.

Perhaps leasing cell towers or gas drilling rights provide passive income. But you must own land in order to do that.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:56 PM

20,872 posts, read 5,282,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
True passive money is very hard to come by. Funds invested in mutual funds or bonds, where you just turn it over to the fund manager and never check on it. Other than that, if you don't pay a lot of attention to your stocks, you will end up a loser.

you might be able to buy a large apartment building and turn it over to a management company, but if you don't pay attention to it, you aren't going to do well.

Shopping centers, turned over to management used to be an option, but, oops, they fell through the floor.

See the above? They are all huge investments. If you don't have a lot of money, you need to substitute labor investment for cash investment.

My father had coin laundries. They are very labor intensive. Patrons of coin laundries are pigs and the laundries must be cleaned many times a day. Vandalism is high, machines break because they are overloaded and abused. In this day and age of meth heads, robbery might be a concern. Laundries are in bad areas because expensive areas come with in-home laundry hook-ups and laundromats contain cash.

Vending machine must be serviced, stocked and cleaned. ATM's must be serviced, stocked and cleaned. You don't set them out on the sidewalk and forget they are there while your profits get wired into your bank account.

Perhaps leasing cell towers or gas drilling rights provide passive income. But you must own land in order to do that.
you dont need to actually own the surface acreage or land to lease it out for drilling to a oil company in a lot of places.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:11 AM

748 posts, read 670,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
But multifamily has a host of problems. Not only do you have constant turnover in tenants, but you also have all kinds of issues with payment, property damage, and just getting the deadbeats out. It requires constant on-site staff, too.
That's probably true, but not for smaller complexes. You don't need onsite staff. And depending upon location relative to your rent, you'll always have new tenants.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,120,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
That's probably true, but not for smaller complexes. You don't need onsite staff. And depending upon location relative to your rent, you'll always have new tenants.

True. But I just don't have the time/energy to deal with it.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM

185 posts, read 106,493 times
As oregonwoodsmoke noted:

Quote:
you must own land

Buy undeveloped property and lease it along with any improvements. Pass along taxes.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:43 PM

4,004 posts, read 4,935,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What area do you invest in and what kind of cap rate do you get?
Multi family is more labor intensive, but I would imagine one hires a property manager then factors that into the cost as well as a turnover factor and looks at the overall return.
When I lived in the Bay Area in California I saw some turnover in leased spaces every few years. The long term people like myself typically owned their places.
Having a 4 unit property is way less labor intensive and more cost effective than having 4 single family homes.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 PM

7,217 posts, read 2,376,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
True passive money is very hard to come by.
Semi-passive income itself isn't hard in a digital age, some people get paid to post simple Instagram photos, blogs, and youtube videos while traveling the world all because they have the right amount of followers. My old landlord had easy passive income because the condo I stayed at never had anything wrong with it.

However, making enough passive income to actually live off of is another story. That takes years of hard work, saving, and the right investments to pull off.

Most people who do FIRE (financial independence, retire early) were making a crap ton of money and saving most of it while they were working full time.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:42 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,955,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Having a 4 unit property is way less labor intensive and more cost effective than having 4 single family homes.
Not always. it depends on the market and location.
I looked at multiplexes in the market I hold houses. The numbers don't often surpass what I get for sfh. Sometimes a sfh will have less turnover than a multiunit as the multiunits are often fewer bedrooms so you have less families and more singles and couples that are more transient. Turnover is expensive

Old 04-30-2019, 10:00 PM

84 posts, read 52,025 times
Look up 'phone farms': It's where you buy a few used cheap Androids and program them to keep running apps that pay you small amounts to do whatever. Its a very small amount, but with a lot of phones doing the same thing, it adds up after a few weeks or months.

https://thisonlineworld.com/2018/01/...assive-income/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha9HdKLg0-o&t=17s

Last edited by sunbelt57; 04-30-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or