U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM

999 posts, read 723,415 times

Advertisements

I’m a seller on eBay based in the US and a customer inquired asking if he bought an item for $9.00 if I could ship to a military base where he is serving in South Korea. He said he’s done it before and that sellers usually just have to fill out a custom form to send it to him, but he doesn’t seem to know which one.

I tried looking into it a little but am kind of confused by all the different custom forms there are. I offer free shipping on US purchases, but would pass the cost onto him as I’m only making about $5.00 in profit as it is. He hasn’t bought the item yet nor have I agreed to do it, but was wondering if anyone has experience with this, what exact form needs to be filled out, and how much it costs?

He says without filling out customs and having it shipped there it costs an arm and a leg, but with customs it can be much cheaper. I’d like to help him out if possible and think it would be good to know about this process in case instead of $9.00, I end up selling something for $9,000 to a guy on a military base some day.

Thank you in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,239,437 times
From my experience it should be just sending it to an APO / FPO address. Just get his address and ship it to him. If you are sending it to a US military base its just like sending it to an American address.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
From my experience it should be just sending it to an APO / FPO address. Just get his address and ship it to him. If you are sending it to a US military base its just like sending it to an American address.
He gave me the address and it is indeed an APO one. So I don’t have to fill out a customs form on top of it?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,239,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
He gave me the address and it is indeed an APO one. So I don’t have to fill out a customs form on top of it?
Spent three years in Okinawa. Received plenty of packages and never heard anything about a customs form. If you still wonder then ask at the post office.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Spent three years in Okinawa. Received plenty of packages and never heard anything about a customs form. If you still wonder then ask at the post office.
Sounds good, thank you for your insight. I've researched it a little more and it looks like it should just be like shipping to a non-military US address like you said. I'm going to go to the post office tomorrow to find out for sure

Old 01-09-2019, 11:18 PM

10,620 posts, read 14,150,781 times
If its just a small package by first class or priority mail, use form 2976.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,439,263 times
Here is what the PO says re shipping to APO/FPO in a foreign country:
"
Click-N-Ship for APO & FPO

Sending Overseas. Click-N-Ship® allows you to print Priority Mail® and Priority Mail Express® postage and address labels. When you send an international package through military mail, follow that country's restriction policies and include customs forms. Click-N-Ship will show you the right customs forms."

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm

Old 01-10-2019, 02:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 694,114 times
Word of advice. Ship only to the address registered on the eBay account. If you ship elsewhere, you are on your own for recourse.
Have them update the shipping address in their account and eBay's system will walk you through everything you need to do to ship there.
I have shipped to APO's without a problem, but that was the address listed for the buyer in their account.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 567,429 times
APO is the same as if you were shipping within the US, to select a state or prevent an address error, you may have to select "US territories/ Pacific" if using a stamps software for labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business