U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 AM

73 posts, read 41,629 times

Advertisements

My parents run a hair salon, but they are not the best business people. They are dedicated to their work but they don't really plan ahead and they usually come to me after they screw up.

They used their business credit card for an online purchase of

6 barber stations at $600 each
1 receptionist counter at $1,500
Total of $5,100

The reception counter granite was damaged. They had to glue some parts together cause a few customers cut themselves on the counter. There were also little chips here and there and a large crack.

The stations also had chips here and there and have cracks. It looks like the merchant tried to cover up the cracks and chips with paint. 2 of the station's granite has a small crack but it goes through the whole table. Each station has a granite top. Many of the stations were missing parts like the cabinet handles and some other pieces that. I'm not too familiar with what a barber station is supposed to include but my parents have been waiting for 2+ weeks for these parts.

My parents tried to call the merchant to get replacement/refund for a 2 barber stations my parents were really unhappy with but the merchant refuses. The merchant said if we send the reception counter, they "may" approve a refund and apparently the merchant was rude and refuse to refund/replace anything else.

So now I'm trying to help them out of this mess. I read on the merchant website on their policy "No returns will be accepted unless processed through our Customer Service department" If they would have shown me where they were going to buy that stuff I would have told them 100% not at this place. My parents contacted the manufacture but they don't make that model anymore.

The only other thing I could think of is using the credit card purchase protection. It states:
"What is Covered
The Plan will pay a benefit for an item up to $1,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents per Card Member Account during a calendar year for
1. The lesser of:
a. the cost to repair the item;
b. the cost to replace the item; or
c. reimbursement for the item."

"Covered Incident means the theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account."

I'm confused on the wording. Basically will the credit card company refund back $1000 for the reception and $600 for each barber station? I know only 2 stations are what I would considered damaged but my parents bought a matching set of 6. They paid a lot of money for all of it new and we can't just return 2 and have a mix match.

Thank you for reading and any help would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM

30,243 posts, read 66,805,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william07 View Post
1 receptionist counter at $1,500 ... Total of $5,100

The reception counter granite was damaged.
The stations also had chips...
Many of the stations were missing parts...
How much would those items have cost from the local stocking distributor?
How much were the freight charges involved?

Quote:
The only other thing I could think of is using the credit card purchase protection.
I'm confused on the wording.
You need to ask THEM

Old 01-24-2019, 09:42 AM

9,243 posts, read 17,650,142 times
I agree, call the credit card's customer service department for clarification of the policy. Since the items were received with damage a chargeback might be the more appropriate way to go.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 AM

1,095 posts, read 681,875 times
Go through the credit card company. That will get the merchant's attention.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:26 AM

84,558 posts, read 77,728,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Go through the credit card company. That will get the merchant's attention.
This. Plus, it gets you out of the way. The CC company will handle it; all you may have to do is provide documentation (photos of damage, perhaps). The CC company will advise you on what they need, if anything. If they require that you have contacted the vendor and been declined a refund before they proceed, they'll tell you that.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM

500 posts, read 162,637 times
Credit Cards for the most part will side with their customer and if you show evidence of damage items being sold to you. Good chance you'll win your case and get your money back. That is the best thing about buying things with credit cards. I have won several cases against the sellers who did not deliver what was promised.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:36 PM

987 posts, read 409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william07 View Post
My parents run a hair salon, but they are not the best business people. They are dedicated to their work but they don't really plan ahead and they usually come to me after they screw up.

1 receptionist counter at $1,500
Total of $5,100

The reception counter granite was damaged. They had to glue some parts together cause a few customers cut themselves on the counter. There were also little chips here and there and a large crack.

The stations also had chips here and there and have cracks. It looks like the merchant tried to cover up the cracks and chips with paint. 2 of the station's granite has a small crack but it goes through the whole table. Each station has a granite top. Many of the stations were missing parts like the cabinet handles and some other pieces that. I'm not too familiar with what a barber station is supposed to include but my parents have been waiting for 2+ weeks for these parts.

My parents tried to call the merchant to get replacement/refund for a 2 barber stations my parents were really unhappy with but the merchant refuses. The merchant said if we send the reception counter, they "may" approve a refund and apparently the merchant was rude and refuse to refund/replace anything else.

So now I'm trying to help them out of this mess. I read on the merchant website on their policy "No returns will be accepted unless processed through our Customer Service department" If they would have shown me where they were going to buy that stuff I would have told them 100% not at this place. My parents contacted the manufacture but they don't make that model anymore.

The only other thing I could think of is using the credit card purchase protection. It states:
"What is Covered
The Plan will pay a benefit for an item up to $1,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents per Card Member Account during a calendar year for
1. The lesser of:
a. the cost to repair the item;
b. the cost to replace the item; or
c. reimbursement for the item."

"Covered Incident means the theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account."

I'm confused on the wording. Basically will the credit card company refund back $1000 for the reception and $600 for each barber station? I know only 2 stations are what I would considered damaged but my parents bought a matching set of 6. They paid a lot of money for all of it new and we can't just return 2 and have a mix match.

Thank you for reading and any help would be appreciated
Two words come to my mind:

https://www.judgejudy.com/

Old 01-25-2019, 03:54 PM

5,651 posts, read 4,258,132 times
You're barking up the wrong trees.

Document everything, call the credit card company and tell them that you want to initiate a chargeback. If you have been wronged, they will refund your money. They'll open a case to investigate and you will likely need to return the equipment on your own dime (make sure to document all shipping/tracking w/signature verification), but the credit card company will side with you 90% of the time!

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:31 PM

987 posts, read 409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You're barking up the wrong trees.

Document everything, call the credit card company and tell them that you want to initiate a chargeback. If you have been wronged, they will refund your money. They'll open a case to investigate and you will likely need to return the equipment on your own dime (make sure to document all shipping/tracking w/signature verification), but the credit card company will side with you 90% of the time!

Good luck!
This is another way to dispute a purchase gone wrong.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:44 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,411,641 times
I think shipping is a huge key to all of this, how were the items shipped? Did your parents pay for shipping? Did they take photos right away in case the items were damaged in shipping and that's where the claim lies?

When did this happen? You say that several customers have cut themselves on the counter, that makes it seem like they may have had the items for awhile.

Are these items new or refurbished? The prices seem very low to me.

How much would it cost to ship everything back?

I think you need to be very specific with the merchant about the flaws/damages and not just say you want a refund on everything. A lot of things are fixable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or