U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 PM

51 posts, read 31,682 times

Advertisements

I own a business. It's small. I net around 180k a yr. A solo operation. I have about 430 recurring customer that make up that net. That's my back ground

I often think when customers go in other directions and won't say why what is the real reason.

Tonight me and family went to a pizza place. Full capacity. They tell me 20 min wait. No worries. We wait 40. They stick us at a table that we can't fit at. I politely say look we can't sit here and eat how about that back room where nobody is? She said that's reserved at 8:30 for a party for the live music band. It's 6:45 at this time. I said if we can just order we will eat and leave. They move us. After the move....

I get my own silverware. My own napkins. My own drinks. Own refills. We order and never see the waitress until the check comes.

I'm not picky at all. I own a business. I get you get busy. I don't want any money off the bill. But something like geez guys I'm sorry would be nice. My wife got drinks at the bar and empty cups sat there and she even asked, did you get that at the bar? Ok I just wanted to make sure because it's not on the bill. I won't go back to this popular place because I have a bad taste

How many people have left me for this and I don't even know? How many of you with businesses ever stop to wonder. How much revenue is flying out the window over a years time.

Customer service is key. Don't get comfortable. Stay thirsty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 07:07 PM

987 posts, read 433,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdman88 View Post
I own a business. It's small. I net around 180k a yr. A solo operation. I have about 430 recurring customer that make up that net. That's my back ground

I often think when customers go in other directions and won't say why what is the real reason.

Tonight me and family went to a pizza place. Full capacity. They tell me 20 min wait. No worries. We wait 40. They stick us at a table that we can't fit at. I politely say look we can't sit here and eat how about that back room where nobody is? She said that's reserved at 8:30 for a party for the live music band. It's 6:45 at this time. I said if we can just order we will eat and leave. They move us. After the move....

I get my own silverware. My own napkins. My own drinks. Own refills. We order and never see the waitress until the check comes.

I'm not picky at all. I own a business. I get you get busy. I don't want any money off the bill. But something like geez guys I'm sorry would be nice. My wife got drinks at the bar and empty cups sat there and she even asked, did you get that at the bar? Ok I just wanted to make sure because it's not on the bill. I won't go back to this popular place because I have a bad taste

How many people have left me for this and I don't even know? How many of you with businesses ever stop to wonder. How much revenue is flying out the window over a years time.

What type of business do you operate? Why do you feel the customers are not being truthful to you when they go someplace else?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
What type of business do you operate? Why do you feel the customers are not being truthful to you when they go someplace else?
Because just like me I will go elsewhere without saying a word. If I'm unhappy it's saying something. It takes alot. The business I'm in it irrelevant

Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM

31,158 posts, read 67,984,889 times
Quote:
I own a business. It's small. I net around 180k a yr.
I have about 430 recurring customer that make up that net.
$180,000 ÷ 430 = an avg of $418 per customer per year. More likely half as many. Close?
Fire some of your customers. Eliminate the products/services the slackers go for.
Focus on the people/products that earn you money.

Quote:
Chevy dealer slogan I like: "people like to do business where business is good"

Quote:
Tonight (busy Friday) me and family went to a pizza place. Full capacity. They tell me 20 min wait.
Like that. In your example you fired yourself. They'll get along without you just fine.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-26-2019 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 AM

358 posts, read 605,285 times
Women will usually let you know if they feel they've been done wrong in a business transaction. So definitely pay attention and correct it. Because if you don't, and you're a business serving the public, they'll leave a long bad review on google for all the world to see. Men usually don't bother to complain. They'll vent about it to their friends or family and then never return. So if you have a satisfied customer you are lucky to get a referral or two out of them. If they're unsatisfied they generally tell 4-5 people (word of mouth) and if really upset get on google and do their best to damage your reputation.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Fire some of my customers that make me money and don't complain . That's sound advice mr. Rational

Old 01-27-2019, 07:00 AM

31,158 posts, read 67,984,889 times
Quote:
Fire some of my customers that make me money and don't complain . That's sound advice mr. Rational
Happy to help.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 AM

729 posts, read 582,846 times
Quote:

Great story! I relate to your way of thinking. I sometimes wonder how I can continue to retain people and make their experience a little better. This may seem stupid, but I sometimes simply GIVE them a little extra item. The item isn't expensive, so it doesn't really cost me money (Other than the couple bucks I could get if I sell it), and it puts a smile on their face.
For me, I'm lucky that I am hungry. Occasionally I slack for a day but the hunger bounces back very quickly.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:07 PM

10,192 posts, read 6,574,864 times
Quote:

Have you ever called an ex-customer and asked? They might surprise you.

I pay another entity to do customer service because they’re better at it than I am. Personally I have close to zero customer contact. Not even as much as one email a month on average. Mine is a product business rather than a service business, at which I would fail utterly.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM

8,717 posts, read 4,067,203 times
I'm having trouble finding an answerable question in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or