U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM

7,681 posts, read 11,806,117 times

Advertisements

So I called to cancel DirecTV today to cancel my account. We signed up to their service about 3 or 4 years ago and fully met our two year obligation.

They gave me the old college try to retain my business. I thanked them for the offer, but told her that I wanted to cancel as we no longer wish to use their services.

OK, so all was going well until they laid out their cancellation terms.

Turns out that they will not cancel the service until the end of the current billing cycle (in my case it is 5/28/19). No more prorating the final month of service.

My current bill from them is due on 5/17 and it covers the period of 4/29 - 528/19.

They expect me to pay for approx. 20 days of service when they have not provided it and I do not want it. Apparently it's new policy and the lady said "they sent something out back in November announcing this new change". Well, I had no clue. I guess I just must have missed this notice.

Anyway, I find this policy is unacceptable and I asked to speak to a supervisor. Well, wouldn't you know the supervisor is busy on another call and they left me on hold waiting to speak to her for 20 min's. I finally hung up as I have work to do and this was killing my morning.

Now I am exasperated and truly po'd that they can (imho) rip me off to the tune of $150.

At this point, I am thinking about sending in the pro-rated amount of the bill and let them try to chase me for the difference.

Any ideas on how to combat this?

Also, I hope this serves as a heads up for others to check termination/cancellation penalties for month to month agreements, as well as long term ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 07:50 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,367,480 times
Just pay it and call it a lesson learned. Always try to cancel 30 days in advance or call up ahead of cancellation to get the terms. This is true for most services, gym membership, Internet, etc. I know it may feel good, but it's not worth the ding on your credit to stiff them.

You may want to try on more time via phone or email to get them to waive the remaining month. Mention the fact that you've been a loyal customer for many years and that you would consider returning to DirecTV in the future. Be respectful.

Good luck

Last edited by flamadiddle; 05-06-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 AM

206 posts, read 93,052 times
I'd just cancel on their terms, never having expected pro rata reductions.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 AM

27,836 posts, read 33,014,656 times
id probably deem this not worth the fight and dont start up any new service until 5/29/19 and keep watching directv until 5/28/19.

sure, you can pay the prorated amount but they will probably just turn it over to collections and now you will have to deal with it there. you may walk away from it not paying the additional 2/3 of a month but it will take more of your time than it is probably worth.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 AM

17,653 posts, read 6,028,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
So I called to cancel DirecTV today to cancel my account. We signed up to their service about 3 or 4 years ago and fully met our two year obligation.

They gave me the old college try to retain my business. I thanked them for the offer, but told her that I wanted to cancel as we no longer wish to use their services.

OK, so all was going well until they laid out their cancellation terms.

Turns out that they will not cancel the service until the end of the current billing cycle (in my case it is 5/28/19). No more prorating the final month of service.

My current bill from them is due on 5/17 and it covers the period of 4/29 - 528/19.

They expect me to pay for approx. 20 days of service when they have not provided it and I do not want it. Apparently it's new policy and the lady said "they sent something out back in November announcing this new change". Well, I had no clue. I guess I just must have missed this notice.

Anyway, I find this policy is unacceptable and I asked to speak to a supervisor. Well, wouldn't you know the supervisor is busy on another call and they left me on hold waiting to speak to her for 20 min's. I finally hung up as I have work to do and this was killing my morning.

Now I am exasperated and truly po'd that they can (imho) rip me off to the tune of $150.

At this point, I am thinking about sending in the pro-rated amount of the bill and let them try to chase me for the difference.

Any ideas on how to combat this?

Also, I hope this serves as a heads up for others to check termination/cancellation penalties for month to month agreements, as well as long term ones.
I can chime in here as I had a similar experience with these crooks, many years ago. Had the service only about a year and a half and decided to return to cable instead. Canceled the service. They said that we owed a $200 cancellation fee and that it was a two year agreement. Well, I am certain I never signed anything with them -- perhaps it was a verbal agreement - who knows. They sent the bill for the $200. I actually decided to pay them half of it, and to see what would happen with the rest. Collection agencies were still coming after me for the $100, many years after the fact. I guess by now it's finally been written off. My credit is sterling -- so I don't care about this small amount on my report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business