U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
24,654 posts, read 32,307,345 times
Reputation: 50029

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
......But if you do make money from them you owe them. The government money from me called taxes therefore the government owes me.

You've got a major misunderstanding here. If we are talking about government, you are not a customer, you are a peon. Meaning you belong to the government and you work for them to generate revenue for them.


But I would be willing to bet that you are getting plenty of service in return for the taxes you pay.


Maybe you just rub everyone the wrong way, but any government employee I've ever dealt with has been polite: the people at the local building permit office, the people at the courthouse, the librarian, the snow plow crew, the DMV clerks, the military, and even the police, all of them, polite and giving me whatever service it is that I am asking for at the time.


Maybe you are expecting some sort of special treatment or expecting a lot more than you are paying for? Whatever you think the government owes to you, perhaps your expectations are unrealistic? It's hard to say since you never say what it is that you think the government is cheating you out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,717 posts, read 3,929,609 times
Reputation: 13380
Not that there is any point in further arguing with someone who's created his own closed loop of logic and seems prepared to defend it to the death, but the gist of that maxim is that a business should do all it can to please each customer.

It does NOT mean every customer gets what they demand, without question.

The OP probably blows through green lights even when the intersection is completely blocked, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 02:08 PM
 
276 posts, read 111,117 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You've got a major misunderstanding here. If we are talking about government, you are not a customer, you are a peon.
That's not the way the government in the USA is supposed to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,717 posts, read 3,929,609 times
Reputation: 13380
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
That's not the way the government in the USA is supposed to work.
It's also a fairly gross overstatement. Individuals have recourse with government, haphazard and bureaucratically-encumbered as it might be.

But we're not customers, and they're not a business, and your attempt to combine that with a rigidly dogmatic interpretation of TCIAR is... infantile babble. Take a hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 05:00 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,335 posts, read 4,018,287 times
Reputation: 2613
The point of whether someone is right or wrong does not mean an individual can be a jerk either way. A manager is there to assess the situation and decide who is right.
It may be a good strategy to give go along the customer in some matters. However, I do not think the customer is right he or she is a jerk with any of my employees. I do not allow a customer to curse or denigrate my worker. The worker is there advancing the business mission.
The reality of life is that some customer do have a huge leverage and a business owner or company would side with him or her. Fair or unfair, right or wrong, the customer may get what he wants because the business may consider that customer as a very valuable source of profits.
However, in some cases, I have denied a customer service because he or she has mistreated my employees.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 PM
 
2,499 posts, read 779,214 times
Reputation: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
The point is this, if you take money from somebody you give them what they pay for.
So how about you enlighten us as to what it is that you think you have paid for and not received?

Or, we can keep going around and around because you insist on being vague.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Im a paying customer to the government since I pay taxes therefore Im always right if I disagree with the government about something.
But maybe I agree with them, and since I'm right too, then it's okay, isn't it?

You are aware that you are not the only "customer" of the government, right? That you don't make all the rules of how the government functions? That you have the right to do this thing called "voting" if you don't agree with what the government is doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 PM
 
14,964 posts, read 6,141,329 times
Reputation: 34318
The slogan that "the customer is always right" is an ingratiating, groveling stance of business management when dealing with difficult but paying customers.

The manager smiles the used-car-salesman smile and says "Well, the customer is always right" to get a pouting disgruntled customer out the door and move on with the day.

And it's something that management tells new fledgling employees. Don't cause a scene arguing with a customer, grovel, smile, and get them to move along, out of the way of the other paying customers.

The saying doesn't actually mean the customer is always right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Around the UK!
156 posts, read 119,203 times
Reputation: 410
No stakeholders in a business are "always right". There are "good" customers and "bad" customers, like good suppliers and bad suppliers and good employees and bad employees. in many cases, the "bad" ones are often wrong trying to leverage some or other advantage through complaints or allegations.

It's managements responsibility to assess these situations and take appropriate action ... not just get walked over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 01:33 PM
 
6,925 posts, read 3,123,384 times
Reputation: 20969
Not necessarily true.



I've fired clients for being idiots, for being abusive, for not following our recommendations, and generally just being difficult to work with. I kind of enjoy the looks on their faces when I hand them their walking papers.



They are typically not missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,717 posts, read 3,929,609 times
Reputation: 13380
This thread has very little to do with the maxim or its actual meaning; the OP welded together the saying, the notion that government is a business, and thus as a customer he's entitled to whatever he wants.

Three strikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top