U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:04 PM

45 posts, read 18,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm sure your concern is sincere, but you haven't established much besides the fact that you really don't like this person and think they're a poor choice to be involved with this charity network. Since this kind of effort does involve a certain degree of official application, approval, oversight and cooperation from city and state authorities, you are either overstating the person's 'evilness' or understating how he's bamboozled everyone except you.

No way to know which from subjective posts.
that's fine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 PM

8,717 posts, read 4,073,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiRetiredAt60 View Post
that's fine
Was just an observation. It does mean, IMHO, that you need to choose a path: either you're right, and should find a way to talk to responsible authorities to make sure they haven't been scammed or faked into approving this guy...

...or you need to not let your prejudices, appropriate or not, color your view of the situation.

I lived in a small town for a while and there were a few people heading committees and public groups that I didn't think should be running a family picnic, but there was enough mutual oversight that they never did any harm.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Was just an observation. It does mean, IMHO, that you need to choose a path: either you're right, and should find a way to talk to responsible authorities to make sure they haven't been scammed or faked into approving this guy...

...or you need to not let your prejudices, appropriate or not, color your view of the situation.

I lived in a small town for a while and there were a few people heading committees and public groups that I didn't think should be running a family picnic, but there was enough mutual oversight that they never did any harm.
IN a town of 10 poor people, total population of 60, who receives food bank services already in abundance (last stop means keeping ALL the food) what would be a reason someone would start a food bank for this tiny town?
The only reason I see is they are soliciting cash and/or donations. Not something he would do but as stated, his only friend in the town is plenty smart enough.
Just spoke with our neighbors (though we haven't built yet) who receive food bank services and are the heads of accepting the food, doling it out, etc They are the organizers for this town.

She knows nothing of any other food bank and started laughing when I asked about it.

Sorry but this is shady, period.

I also don't find it my obligation to get involved, anymore, to be honest.

Whatever they are doing.... they can do.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:14 PM

9,872 posts, read 8,365,309 times
You shouldn't post stuff from other web sites that you can't answer to. It's poorly written and full of suspicions without anything to back it up. It already sounds as if you spoke to someone who thinks you don't know what you're talking about. Other charities in the same line of work would know best.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You shouldn't post stuff from other web sites that you can't answer to. It's poorly written and full of suspicions without anything to back it up. It already sounds as if you spoke to someone who thinks you don't know what you're talking about. Other charities in the same line of work would know best.
1. I didn't post anything from any other website(s)
2. I have no reason to answer to something that wasn't posted in the first place
3. Suspicions are justified
4. That someone is a friend, hence why she laughed. She knows I know the answer and she knows something is up.
5. The only OTHER charity in that line of work, our County Food Bank, has been mentioned already. They come up and drop off massive amounts of food already so there is no need for a second food bank.
6. Please do not post further to hyjack the thread with expectations your multiple errors will be corrected by me.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 PM

8,717 posts, read 4,073,401 times
I suggest that no solution or resolution will be found by asking on an online forum. If you don't know of a local authority who would be interested in your assertions, there is likely no one at all who can affect this situation.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I suggest that no solution or resolution will be found by asking on an online forum. If you don't know of a local authority who would be interested in your assertions, there is likely no one at all who can affect this situation.
As stated already, I've chose to do nothing. And resolution was found just fine with your suggestion to contact the Attorney Generals office if I choose, out of curiousity, to do such. No one creates a non-profit organization aka a food bank for a town which has only 10 food bank participants unless there are other motivations

Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM

27,836 posts, read 33,008,350 times
i dont trust the OP's motivations here.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:20 PM

9,872 posts, read 8,365,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiRetiredAt60 View Post
1. I didn't post anything from any other website(s)
2. I have no reason to answer to something that wasn't posted in the first place
3. Suspicions are justified
4. That someone is a friend, hence why she laughed. She knows I know the answer and she knows something is up.
5. The only OTHER charity in that line of work, our County Food Bank, has been mentioned already. They come up and drop off massive amounts of food already so there is no need for a second food bank.
6. Please do not post further to hyjack the thread with expectations your multiple errors will be corrected by me.
You claimed you posted from at least two other web sites.
They are full of suspicions.
There are a lot of food pantries around in the same jurisdictions, often serving a wider area than the immediate town.
They may not even be a charity or a food pantry as you claim.
That is why your "friend" may be humoring you because you've let your suspicions run wild.
Activity consistent with a food pantry should be observable.
There should be flyers and other notices announcing their presence.
They would be active with restaurants and grocers soliciting donations if they ran a pantry.
I used to bike across from a food pantry and people would line up on Saturday mornings first-come-first-serve.
The possibility also exists that a charity has failed and closed.
I highly doubt that the other "legitimate" food bank is run for only 10 recipients. It may be a co-op with limited participation.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM

3,034 posts, read 6,769,298 times
Let me get this straight..

The ex con started a food bank on paper in which he listed the address of the only actual food bank run by the county. The ex con does not appear to be involved with the food bank operations.

Unless the food is stolen or there is money involved I don't see the scam.

My guess is the ex con is on parole or probation or something and has to show some kind of community service. If he is not actually participating that may be the scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or