U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:50 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
24,684 posts, read 32,363,193 times
Reputation: 50134

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Do you know of a Wal-Mart that's going to let in an independent pizza joint that's owned/operated by a neophyte restaurateur?

Who knows. I've never asked, having no interest in running a restaurant. I don't think Walmart would care as long as the business plan is sound and the new restaurant can make the rent payments.


pizza is one of those foods where the independents can do better than the chains. Franchise fees take a lot of your income and you are required to buy their products instead of price shopping and getting either better products or less expensive products, or maybe both better and cheaper ingredients.


The Walmart here just put in a pretzel place that I've never heard of before. If it is a franchise, it isn't a wildly successful one with any sort of national reputation.


Neophyte restaurateurs can hire experienced managers to make up for their lack of experience. Although, no one should open a restaurant or any other type of business without doing a lot of research first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
24,684 posts, read 32,363,193 times
Reputation: 50134
Adding that the Walmarts I've been in have hot delis that sell hot pizza. It would have to be a Walmart that didn't sell hot pizza at their deli and it would have to be a Walmart that didn't already have a restaurant.


I can see Walmart customers buying a slice, as long as the price wasn't too high. Walmart customers are economy shoppers so price is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,717 posts, read 3,941,797 times
Reputation: 13386
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Neophyte restaurateurs can hire experienced managers to make up for their lack of experience. Although, no one should open a restaurant or any other type of business without doing a lot of research first.
That's such a massive understatement. The idea that anyone should open any kind of business without being thoroughly familiar with both the 'product' and the necessary nuts and bolts of management is lunacy. A business that takes a large amount of starting capital and a substantial operating fund, like almost any restaurant, triply so. The only "neophyte" who should go anywhere a major business or restaurant is someone with a lot of money they can afford to lose, who hires the very best person they can to run it for them. Not someone who's a great home cook and hires a bookkeeper who used to work for another restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Walmart customers are economy shoppers so price is important.
Really!

I suspect most would consider $2.24 for a frozen pizza a better deal than $1.50 for a hot slice, and that's about the price floor for such a setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 PM
 
533 posts, read 280,081 times
Reputation: 989
Doesn't Walmart SELL pizza already? Not by the slice, but how are you going to compete with a $5 hot pizza from the deli section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Shreveport, LA
1,430 posts, read 1,123,506 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Doesn't Walmart SELL pizza already? Not by the slice, but how are you going to compete with a $5 hot pizza from the deli section?
Actually, that’s Sam’s down the road. This Walmart does Chicken instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 PM
 
533 posts, read 280,081 times
Reputation: 989
Oh. We get both Fried Chicken and Hot Pizza here. Maybe this isn't such a hick town, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 09:07 PM
 
6,346 posts, read 3,614,126 times
Reputation: 11658
All I can tell you is sbarros is disgusting and pricey. Look into a Marco’s Franchise instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
 
3,597 posts, read 2,273,511 times
Reputation: 8141
I’m not sure I’d want to ride with a 2x bankrupt franchise in a business like pizza. You might as well start your own for the “value” they bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 12:07 PM
 
10,578 posts, read 14,096,698 times
Reputation: 16272
Another important thing to consider whenever you are operating within another establishment is the rules of that establishment.

Consider that you may not be able to pick your hours of operation as the establishment may require you be open and functioning even during hours that would not have sufficient business to warrant being open.

Consider there may be a minimum staffing level you must meet so as not to cause delays. You could end up having to hire staff just to accommodate some short duration consumer spikes.

There could be visual requirements that would limit your frontage marketing.

You may be required to have a maintenance schedule that increases cost without improving anything.

I'm sure there are more, so know what can become an expense you would not have if independent in your own location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Shreveport, LA
1,430 posts, read 1,123,506 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Another important thing to consider whenever you are operating within another establishment is the rules of that establishment.

Consider that you may not be able to pick your hours of operation as the establishment may require you be open and functioning even during hours that would not have sufficient business to warrant being open.

Consider there may be a minimum staffing level you must meet so as not to cause delays. You could end up having to hire staff just to accommodate some short duration consumer spikes.

There could be visual requirements that would limit your frontage marketing.

You may be required to have a maintenance schedule that increases cost without improving anything.

I'm sure there are more, so know what can become an expense you would not have if independent in your own location.
Good point. I have mall nostalgia, but these are probably the reasons malls are failing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top