U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 10:36 AM

358 posts, read 599,000 times

Advertisements

I would never consider opening a pizza place, restaurant or any food service facility. Too many headaches with health inspection, employee turnover, long hours, etc. Consider starting a service business as a side hustle that you can work up to full time to replace your current income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 03:26 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,126,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
I would never consider opening a pizza place, restaurant or any food service facility. Too many headaches with health inspection, employee turnover, long hours, etc. Consider starting a service business as a side hustle that you can work up to full time to replace your current income.
My mother has run several of those, but always with a business partner. I’m unsure how I’d run something like that solo.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:02 PM

358 posts, read 599,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
My mother has run several of those, but always with a business partner. I’m unsure how I’d run something like that solo.
I had partners for several years and after many disagreements we finally just decided to separate the bricks and mortar locations and move on. I then soloed for over 27 years. Almost lost my shirt three times, but was determined to show that I could carry on alone. After selling out two years ago I've partnered up with one of my old employees, something I swore I'd never do again after being on my own so long. Now after a year I have my days when I think I should've listened to my gut feelings to never go into business with anyone again. But just because I haven't had the best luck doesn't mean you will too. Just make sure you go into a partnership with eyes wide open and a good lawyer to advise you.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 PM

13,008 posts, read 5,331,028 times
Sbarro serves salads and the typical Wal Mart customer doesn't eat salad. You'd have more success opening a restaurant at Wal Mart that serves mostly fried foods.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:41 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,126,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
I had partners for several years and after many disagreements we finally just decided to separate the bricks and mortar locations and move on. I then soloed for over 27 years. Almost lost my shirt three times, but was determined to show that I could carry on alone. After selling out two years ago I've partnered up with one of my old employees, something I swore I'd never do again after being on my own so long. Now after a year I have my days when I think I should've listened to my gut feelings to never go into business with anyone again. But just because I haven't had the best luck doesn't mean you will too. Just make sure you go into a partnership with eyes wide open and a good lawyer to advise you.
It probably helped her she was married to her business partner.

Honestly, my approach to business will be getting certified in something with a high barrier to entry so I can set up a shingle in a niche that has little competition and where there is a shortage. The shortage of psychiatrists is so horrible here that that route is becoming more attractive the more I think about it. It's so bad that a psychiatrist here can charge 175 dollars a visit and still have a waiting list over a year long for people trying to get help. I'd likely adopt a concierge model where I had a number of psychiatric outpatients on retainer and I'd provide premium personalized service for those people. I'm surprised the shortage has been this bad this long. I'll still save for 4 years of living expenses so I'm not borrowing versus living expenses, but the demand for psychiatrists is so high, I could probably pay off a student loan for med school in a few years assuming I don't throw living expenses on top of the loan principle. I'm nervous to pull the trigger, though. I'd need to complete a postbaccalaureate programs and get accepted into a med school, preferably one close to my house, and saving enough to not work for 4 years will be daunting, at least saving that much within the next 8 years or so.

The funny part here is to start this business, I almost need to start another business to pay the initial overhead, but that's the point--I'm doing what nobody else wants to do and I'll be well paid for it.

I have time to think about it while I save money, at any rate.

I've heard rumors of a "pay as you go" 20 year loan that takes 10% of your pay, thus reducing the risk of default, but I'd still want to pay off my house first since I will either be living in it during med school or renting it out and putting a property manager in charge of it to produce income for other living arrangements if I don't get into the close school.

The close school doesn't offer a joint MA in counseling and MD, which is a shame, since I'm envisioning doing both psychotherapy as well as prescribing psychotropics as needed for each individual patient.

I have lots of ideas for making money, its just a matter of saving up from my 3 current jobs so I can invest in a "big idea" instead of just nickel and diming all the time.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 9,754,625 times
I realize the O.P. has been dissuaded from a Wal-mart based restaurant but I would like to add this. Our local Wal-mart has had three attempted restaurants and none of them made it including a McDonalds. The latest one is an overpriced burger place "Wayback burgers" and it won't be long til they close.

This is in a town of 25 thousand people and a county population of around 45 thousand. I used to go to the Wal-mart during my lunch breaks to shop for things I couldn't get at the grocery stores. I never saw many people in any of the restaurants they've had there. At best you could hope that the wal-mart employees might eat there BUT when you are making 10 bucks an hour it's hard to justify a 10 dollar lunch.

People that are stopping buy to shop have so many other choices nearby. I am amazed at the number of places to eat in this tiny town. Just a quick count on Google maps shows around 50 restaurants in this town or 1 per 500 people in town/ 1 per 900 people in the county. Way too many places for the amount of people.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:49 AM

950 posts, read 490,363 times
Check into to Krispy Krunchy Chicken. Low buy in good business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business