U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 3,158,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Move your business to Vermont. Pay there has always been low, as there are few employers and many jobs are tourist service scut jobs. There are people so enamored with the state that they will accept being underpaid just to live there. Something similar happens in Key West.

Basically in lots of tourist burgs. We were in Jackson Hole a few years ago, and the woman who was our driver to the rafting drop off literally worked four jobs so she, her husband, and three kids could live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 AM

26,932 posts, read 32,505,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Move your business to Vermont. Pay there has always been low, as there are few employers and many jobs are tourist service scut jobs. There are people so enamored with the state that they will accept being underpaid just to live there. Something similar happens in Key West.
i just need to figure how to convince my employees that working for me is the patriotic thing to do.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:15 PM

3,877 posts, read 2,905,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Business Owners: Is it true that most business owners like to underpay their employees?

I notice this is the common trend in job ads.

What are your thoughts?
Not all, some of us see our businesses as more than just a traditional business, but an opportunity to invest in American neighborhoods, and inspire the employees, and future generations of business leaders.i pay my employees great salaries, automatically put 10% into 401k, and offer tons of prizes that those who contribute the most can receive every month. I demand a lot of work, and will power from my employees, but they are making 40%+ than others in the same Field. This has actually saved me money . When you invest in people they are willing to give their all and work together more effectively winch.

Community is very very important to me everything you have no matter how hard you "worked" for it is a result of community. It's 100% understandble that many businesses won't have substantial amounts to give, but I personally give as much as I can. A business that doesn't try to give at all are a disgrace I.M.O. flat out parasitic.

I think when businesses go public 50% of the company should be owened by the employees who collect dividends. It's much more motivating when you see a direct correlation between your work and adding value to the company you work for.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 PM

6,226 posts, read 9,747,334 times
I am not a business owner. My thought is business owners need to set compensation as a balance. Pay enough to retain employees whilst also maintaining profitability. Life is an auction process in ALL matters involving money. Where you buy groceries, where you live, what you drive and even what you accept as compensation for time.

You may not like what your employer considers adequate compensation for your labor. You are free to seek compensation befitting your skills and experience elsewhere. If your skills fail to lift the offer chances you're being paid fairly.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 AM

5,156 posts, read 3,431,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Not all, some of us see our businesses as more than just a traditional business, but an opportunity to invest in American neighborhoods, and inspire the employees, and future generations of business leaders.i pay my employees great salaries, automatically put 10% into 401k, and offer tons of prizes that those who contribute the most can receive every month. I demand a lot of work, and will power from my employees, but they are making 40%+ than others in the same Field.
Sounds awesome. Curious, what field are you in?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 PM

21,006 posts, read 5,331,769 times
Quote:
Business Owners: Is it true that most business owners like to underpay their employees?

I notice this is the common trend in job ads.

What are your thoughts?
I am a business owner and I am not going to pay my workers anymore than is needed to retain them.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:27 AM

30,344 posts, read 66,978,814 times
Quote:
Business Owners:

Is it true that most business owners like to underpay their employees?
No... it's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or