Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 11:31 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Film is an art, and art is subjective, therefore what constitutes "good" is in the eye of the beholder.

Just admit you're clueless and we'll move on.

Obviously, this is not an investment or business opportunity for you, because you don't understand the first thing about it.

Perhaps you can enlighten us with your acumen and explain why not every one of the 128 Million households in the US owns a Chevy Malibu.

Very obviously, the Chevy Malibu is a massive failure since not every single one of the 128 Million households in America owns one and Chevrolet should immediately cease production.

Except Chevrolet hasn't ceased production. Why is that?

Could it be that there is a market for the Chevy Malibu?

Wow....consumer market....what an extraordinary concept.

Apparently such an extraordinary concept is out-of-place on a Business & Economics Forum.
You ever hear of the phrase about artists whose paintings only become valuable after they die? Sure art is subjective, but only to a certain point if you look at it from a business point of view.

As to why dont 128mil own a Malibu. Well there is a lot of quality competition out there. Any car that hits the road does its job. Its utility is absolute. Any car model with defect gets recalled. That does not happen in the B movie industry or else, all B movies be recalled.

And you make a poor analogy using abstract art whose utility is all in the emotional spectrum, and a tangible object use utility lies in accomplishing physical tasks.

Do better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

What? The casting couch? I admit I was going off topic, and rambling in my last post.
100% of it showed a lack of any basic understanding on how media gets made.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:03 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Restaurants in general go out of business all the time. The fast food places that survive, and become franchised chains owned by Wall Street are more equated to a bad A list movie like Con Air, or Resident Evil 1 through 20 and even Ridley Scott newest Alien franchise entries like Prometheus/ Covenant.

And that filler requirement must be a huge setback for streaming services. At some point, the services are going to have to increase the quality of even their lowest content. As more and more streaming service pop up, the top quality will become more and more wide spread. Your service will look like a ripoff if only has one or two content worth watching, and the rest is total garbage.
Restaurants go out of business, and not every movie makes money either. Nice, expensive restaurants go under as surely as Taco stands. Taco Stands can be profitable as surely as a fine French Restaurant.

Are grocery store romance novels good? No. But some people have a guilty pleasure of reading them.

B movies are the grocery-store novels cinematic equivalent.

B Movies, Grocery Store romance novels, Daytime Soap Operas, the crappy Pizza place that's cheap and delivers at 1:00 AM, clothing stores like Hot Topic that sell cheap clothing that their customer demographic likes to wear, boxed wine...

"Good" is subjective. The product doesn't have to be good, it has to deliver. People don't rent or watch B-Movies expecting Citizen Kane. They watch expecting a campy slasher film, or a slapstick comedy movie.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
And you make a poor analogy using abstract art ...
Film is not abstract art. Just admit you don't understand and we'll move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Are grocery store romance novels good? No. But some people have a guilty pleasure of reading them.

B Movies, Grocery Store romance novels, Daytime Soap Operas, the crappy Pizza place that's cheap and delivers at 1:00 AM, clothing stores like Hot Topic that sell cheap clothing that their customer demographic likes to wear, boxed wine...

"Good" is subjective. The product doesn't have to be good, it has to deliver. People don't rent or watch B-Movies expecting Citizen Kane. They watch expecting a campy slasher film, or a slapstick comedy movie.
On the other hand, you understand completely.

It isn't necessary to capture 100% of the market to be profitable.

If you can capture 8% of the market and turn a nice profit, that's super.

If you want to produce a B-film, you need excellent managerial skills, because you're effectively a CEO. You handle all the pre-production, production and post-production right up through distribution and that includes the accounting (and payroll) and all the administration.

If you wanna invest, and like I said, there are Millions of people with $100,000 to $500,000 burning a hole in their pocket who would love to brag and boast to their circle of friends that they were in on a movie, make sure you have a clean script.

What I mean by "clean script" is there's an enforceable contract that says in no uncertain terms they have the legal right to use a copyrighted work to produce the film.

You know the film The Purge? John Demanco stole it from a guy named Douglas Jordan-Benel (it was originally titled Settler's Day) which is why Demanco got sued. You don't want your profits eaten up by legal costs.

You should get a treatment to read (50 to 80 pages), which is more than a synopsis but not a script.

It's proper to ask what experience the producer.

It's also proper to ask where they are in pre-production. If they got bupkis, tell them to come back when the got something.

The locations should already be nailed down and permits available, even though they don't actually have permits (if permits are even necessary).

They should have a director or at least a short-list and they'll usually show you a short of something the producer or director have already done (and they sometimes have worked together on previous projects).

Ask about insurance. Yeah, they got insurance just for making a single film. If the producer doesn't have it or can't get it, that's a red flag.

Ask how they'll handle cost over-runs. That goes back to locations and locations are usually the cause of cost over-runs. You were supposed to shoot at a certain location at a certain time and you cannot for whatever reason and it may be some time before you get a chance to shoot there.

Yeah, actors get paid weekly whether they work or not. Day-players get paid daily if they work (that's why they're called day-players).

Producing or investing in B-films can be a lot of fun and it ain't like a 20-year promissory note. You usually recoup your investment within 1-5 years after completion even if it's only marginally successful.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
100% of it showed a lack of any basic understanding on how media gets made.
This is not about how something is made. Is the thread title, how to make B movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Restaurants go out of business, and not every movie makes money either. Nice, expensive restaurants go under as surely as Taco stands. Taco Stands can be profitable as surely as a fine French Restaurant.

Do those supermarket romance novels even exist anymore? I dont see Fabio's face anymore on shelves.

Thing is it's much much cheaper to make a book, than a movie at any level of quality. Its pretty much just pen and paper or nowadays MS Word. Feasibility is easier since your costs are lower to begin with even back in the day when both had to be printed or recorded onto tape/DVD.

Some things are just more simple. Quality can be achieved at lower costs. A taco stand is what it is. Its not bad at all. While certain other items require higher levels of input just to achieve the lowest minimum acceptable standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Film is not abstract art. Just admit you don't understand and we'll move on.
The utility of art is always abstract. That is what I mean. You cant make analogy involving reasons for why physical tools are purchased in this amount against entertainment being purchased in said amounts.

And why do you keep writing all that adulatory exposition about what the workers are doing, and office politics. We know B movies are made cheaply, and even at that level, there is some ego tripping. Do you make B movies yourself or know someone?

Old 11-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
This is not about how something is made. Is the thread title, how to make B movies?
Yawn.

So-called B-movies make money (not all the time, of course) because they're small-ball. Genre flicks. A bankable star. And, most of them don't even get made until they're already under a distribution agreement.

I suppose my 21 years in the entertainment biz will be dismissed in favor of your arguments about tastes and aesthetics.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:22 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:

Do those supermarket romance novels even exist anymore? I dont see Fabio's face anymore on shelves.

Thing is it's much much cheaper to make a book, than a movie at any level of quality. Its pretty much just pen and paper or nowadays MS Word. Feasibility is easier since your costs are lower to begin with even back in the day when both had to be printed or recorded onto tape/DVD.

Some things are just more simple. Quality can be achieved at lower costs. A taco stand is what it is. Its not bad at all. While certain other items require higher levels of input just to achieve the lowest minimum acceptable standards.

The utility of art is always abstract. That is what I mean. You cant make analogy involving reasons for why physical tools are purchased in this amount against entertainment being purchased in said amounts.

And why do you keep writing all that adulatory exposition about what the workers are doing, and office politics. We know B movies are made cheaply, and even at that level, there is some ego tripping. Do you make B movies yourself or know someone?
Sure they do. On the shopping forum of this site there is the long running thread of the books Amazon gives away to entice you to own their Kindle and Prime service. It is not just for the romance crowd but the equivalent for every genre.

With only so many A list movies spread out among the many services and playing for "free" with advertising the B movie today fills the libraries of all those competitors. Since there are only so many A list stars and movies with the plucky humans defying science to beat the technology of the alien overlords if I want to see other stories in that vein the B movie fills the niche and provides the extra on the streaming service after I have seen their share of the big name movies and TV.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Yawn.

So-called B-movies make money (not all the time, of course) because they're small-ball. Genre flicks. A bankable star. And, most of them don't even get made until they're already under a distribution agreement.

I suppose my 21 years in the entertainment biz will be dismissed in favor of your arguments about tastes and aesthetics.
And for someone with that many years, all you have to add is "yawn".

Old 11-07-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
And for someone with that many years, all you have to add is "yawn".
Oh c'mon kid, even what you quoted of me had more than 'yawn.' I GAVE you the answer!

Old 11-07-2020, 11:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
The utility of art is always abstract.
You get an "A" for constantly moving the goal posts.

Abstract art makes no attempt to represent an accurate depiction of a visual reality. Instead it relies on the use of shapes, colors and forms to achieve its effect.

This is an example of abstract art...

Quote:
This is not about how something is made. Is the thread title, how to make B movies
Your grade of "A" for moving the goal posts has been increased to an "A+."

You asked: "Do B movies actually make money."

I explained how to make a B movie to demonstrate how they actually make money.

Your grade for Art is an "F" since you don't understand what abstract art is and you can't even connect the dots like a child in pre-school.

If you asked, "Do restaurants actually make money?" I would explain how a restaurant operates in the hope that you might understand how they do make money, but I'm guessing you wouldn't understand.

Quote:
Do those supermarket romance novels even exist anymore?
Yes, in the form of B-movies. How is it you're incapable of understanding that?

A film is simply a novel in a different medium.

Quote:
You cant make analogy involving reasons for why physical tools are purchased in this amount against entertainment being purchased in said amounts.
Irrelevant and immaterial.

Do Broadway shows make money? We have local theater troupes here. One does only Shakespeare, another does really bizarre theater and another does what you would call "A-list" plays, you know, like Fences, or Give 'em Hell Harry. They make money.

B-Television. Yeah, that's Amazon and Netflix and all the non-major networks, you know, like A&E and The Walking Dead.

How is it you don't understand that?

How is it you don't understand markets?

There are markets for a variety of forms of entertainment and they all make money.

Quote:
I've been involved on the periphery.

I know half a dozen people who have invested and made money on B-films.

Obviously, you don't understand that people enjoy being entertained, even if it's nothing more than a mindless hack-and-slash thriller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business