U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,122,200 times

Advertisements

Here is the scenario:

There are two business partners running a business in a walmart tenant area: a man who has a dual MSW/JD degree who is also a notary public, and a woman who is a mental health nurse practitioner. The concept is that this business is located in a high-traffic area, and will provide family counseling, family mental healthcare, and family legal services. I’d picture the tagline beneath the name simply being “Family Counseling * Family Law * Mental Healthcare * Notary Public” but I could be wrong. Another way of looking at it could be a private practice social worker who can also handle the legal aspects of the family setting while the business partner handled the medical side of the family setting.

This is a hypothetical question, since I don’t plan on doing this any time soon and even if I was, by the time I would have the capital to try something like this, I may have my sights on something else.

Despite being hypothetical though, I have wondered how this would market itself, if it would be viable, and what it would be called. Obviously family clinical social work, family law, and being a public notary go together, and having a mental health nurse practitioner on staff could clear up the overlaps between family law/counseling and mental health—prescribing medications as necessary (A HIPPA waiver explaining personal health information would be communicated between the business partners could go a long way here to make sure the business is in the clear with that law).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 02:47 AM

18,866 posts, read 57,410,829 times
Licensing would likely prevent an MSW degree from counseling privately. Usual requirements are a PhD in psychology or psychiatry for private practice. Church counselors are an exception. Otherwise MSWs and others generally have to work in a supervised setting unless they somehow managed to become a LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor). Any degree less than PhD in mental health fields is of minimal value. It varies some from state to state, so details of licensing and maintaining the license have to be checked individually. Law practices are subject to similar restrictions. One cannot practice law without the required degrees, passing the bar exam, and more. Being a public notary won't cut it.

Even if licensing could be obtained, I can't imagine the clientele that would seek counseling - or have the money to pay for it - in a Walmart storefront. Most insurance doesn't cover mental health services, and those that do limit it to short term CBT or addiction recovery. I have visions of a Jerry Springer show.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:53 PM

24,655 posts, read 32,307,345 times
I suspect that Walmart customers don't pay for family counseling, or if they do, they won't do it at Walmart.

I think that a place that would write a cheap will or look over a contract or lease for a small fee might possible work, but you would have to have a licensed lawyer on staff to write a will or give legal advice.

I suspect that Walmart wants tenants who actually bring in customers for them. I'm not seeing a couple that wants marital counseling happily going shopping at Walmart together after their session. Unlike your pizza idea where I can easily see a family saying, hey lets go shopping at Walmart and then we can catch a slice on the way out the door (like Costco's little hot deli works.)

Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM

24,655 posts, read 32,307,345 times
I don't know if the licensing is possible but it might work to put in a dental place that does nothing but tooth cleaning really cheap. If you can do a mouth with a dental hygienist and do it for $25, I think you'd be busy. Cleaning can be as much as $250 at a dentist's office.

Set it up like a beauty parlor with a couple of booths.

But I don't know if state regulations would require a licensed dentist to be on site. If a dentist is required, that kills the idea. A dental hygienist will work for $25 an hour. A dentist won't.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:10 AM

20,982 posts, read 15,222,374 times
Could I get pizza and counseling at the same office within a Walmart?

Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,263,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Here is the scenario:

There are two business partners running a business in a walmart tenant area: a man who has a dual MSW/JD degree who is also a notary public, and a woman who is a mental health nurse practitioner. The concept is that this business is located in a high-traffic area, and will provide family counseling, family mental healthcare, and family legal services. I’d picture the tagline beneath the name simply being “Family Counseling * Family Law * Mental Healthcare * Notary Public” but I could be wrong. Another way of looking at it could be a private practice social worker who can also handle the legal aspects of the family setting while the business partner handled the medical side of the family setting.

This is a hypothetical question, since I don’t plan on doing this any time soon and even if I was, by the time I would have the capital to try something like this, I may have my sights on something else.

Despite being hypothetical though, I have wondered how this would market itself, if it would be viable, and what it would be called. Obviously family clinical social work, family law, and being a public notary go together, and having a mental health nurse practitioner on staff could clear up the overlaps between family law/counseling and mental health—prescribing medications as necessary (A HIPPA waiver explaining personal health information would be communicated between the business partners could go a long way here to make sure the business is in the clear with that law).
I’d call it an out of a place disaster.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:07 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,122,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Could I get pizza and counseling at the same office within a Walmart?
Why not? Lol, so long as we are exploring hypotheticals.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:08 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,399,969 times
"a business."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or