Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:12 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
That’s just being overly conservative. I can’t imagine learning much in year 20 that you didn’t already learn in say, year 5.
You're reading me a little narrowly. I said the couple I knew that were successful had 20 years of experience between them - which is generous but proved useful.

I don't say that someone should have 20 years in specifically running a fast-food place, but I'd bet that all things considered there are very few restaurateurs/fast-foodies who are (1) successful by any standard measure and (2) under about 40 with (3) about 20 years of experience in relevant fields, with "business" being the least of those but neither irrelevant nor a sole skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 04:18 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
This forum is good for shooting down any and every business idea anyone brings up.

How is it that there are so many Subway stores worldwide if they're such a horrible investment?
Nah......Subway stores are just great at franchising!

A friend owned 20, then 30 Domino's pizzas. They were killing it but lots of franchise non-sense, they sold the chain and swore if they ever re-opened it would be non-franchise/ Bob's pizza!

Think about it: Subway sells sandwiches cheap. Why put up with all the rules/fees just to sell a cheap sandwich? They aren't really great sandwiches anyway, not like they have a secret recipe or something super unique on the menu.

Franchises are for dummies that don't know how to make cheap sandwiches!

Old 07-15-2019, 04:21 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
IMO, the $5 footlong failed because they skimped on the fillings, and never even gave you $5 worth of value. There's NO WAY that $5 footlong cost the franchise person $4 to make.

More like $1 from what I've seen at our local Subway places...
So if you think the sandwich cost a dollar.......what did you figure your labor rate was per sandwich?

How about overhead figured in? Rent $3000, utilties $800 = $127 a day, so if you are open 12 hours a day, it is $12.70 per hour in overhead. If you make 10 sandwiches an hour (average slow day) then overhead cost you $1.27 per sandwich that day.

Do you realize that local food distributors won't tell you about cost increases until after they deliver? Tomatoes $20 a box, oops now they are $28 but it is just a line item on the bill. What do you do? Skip offering tomatoes? Raise prices 29%? You do neither but they just cost you 29% more this week.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Once you start making your bread out of yoga mats your franchise is doomed.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:17 PM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
Not to mention the number of customers who choked to death trying to chew their way through a slightly stale Tuna sub.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Always knew it was too inexpensive to last, from a business standpoint.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:07 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
This forum is good for shooting down any and every business idea anyone brings up.

This is the one forum on C-D that deals in stone cold reality, not flights of fancy.

I find it refreshing. Most business ideas are terrible, anyway.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:05 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This is the one forum on C-D that deals in stone cold reality, not flights of fancy.

I find it refreshing. Most business ideas are terrible, anyway.

If the criticism is coming from successful business owners... or maybe even business owners period, then fine. But I don't know that to be the case here.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 AM

1,417 posts, read 734,205 times
Quote:

How is it that there are so many Subway stores worldwide if they're such a horrible investment?
It is simple, read the FA. It is the personal guarantee, the right of first refusal, and the need to approve any subsequent franchisee. If you cannot understand how those factors tie together you should not consider franchising.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:35 AM

1,417 posts, read 734,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
IMO, the $5 footlong failed because they skimped on the fillings, and never even gave you $5 worth of value. There's NO WAY that $5 footlong cost the franchise person $4 to make.

More like $1 from what I've seen at our local Subway places...
A Subway zee is not a allowed to source their products(last time I read the FDD and FA, which has been a long while) so the zee has no control over the cost of the goods sold. Every Subway zee I spoke to indicated they could source for far, far less locally (and at higher quality). But that is not how it works at Subway, you buy at a mark-up from the zor. Understand that the sandwiches are audited by mystery shoppers who will weigh out the ingredients and fine the zee for being on either side of the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business