U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-19-2019, 11:06 PM
 
2,690 posts, read 2,508,176 times
Reputation: 5112

Advertisements

I was once in a professional association meeting where the key note speaker was a guy who started a business, franchised it, and was pretty successful at it. He basically talked about his story, history, success, how it all happened etc....

One thing really caught my attention though. He started talking about how they needed funding, didn't want to be held to VCs, so in the beginning they purposely over expanded just for the cash flow and then would resell the locations that failed for more cashflow. Now of course he was talking in a way of this is what you are not suppose to do, don't do what we did, this was one of our mistakes etc... but I was surprised he would even mention it.

After reading some of the posts here, and my experience listening to this guy, the franchise game can be pretty hardcore.

Chose wisely, research and do your due diligence.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 PM
 
11,280 posts, read 8,708,673 times
Reputation: 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
For taste try Charleys. Health food it is not, but they make a decent grilled subs. I like the buffalo chicken. It is addicting. Unlike most sub concepts, Charleys actually demonstrates a brand preference with consumers.

We talking the Charley's Philly Steaks? They replaced the Great Steak and Potato in our mall with Charley's a number of years ago now.. I honestly kinda preferred Great Steak. But Charley's wasn't bad or anything.

Back in the 80's there was a chain up in the NoVA/DC/MD area called Jerry's Pizza and Subs.. Those places were just opening on every corner. They have 28 units now.

Sort of like Roy Rogers.. But, that was a totally different situation as to why they dropped so many units. And that is a long story that we don't want to get into most likely, but.. They seem to be doing well in their current geographical niche.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 11:42 PM
 
Location: VA, IL, FL, SD, TN, NC, SC
1,367 posts, read 395,752 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We talking the Charley's Philly Steaks? They replaced the Great Steak and Potato in our mall with Charley's a number of years ago now.. I honestly kinda preferred Great Steak. But Charley's wasn't bad or anything.

Back in the 80's there was a chain up in the NoVA/DC/MD area called Jerry's Pizza and Subs.. Those places were just opening on every corner. They have 28 units now.

Sort of like Roy Rogers.. But, that was a totally different situation as to why they dropped so many units. And that is a long story that we don't want to get into most likely, but.. They seem to be doing well in their current geographical niche.
Yep that is the Charley's I mean.

And yep, the Roy Rogers story was sad. As it seems you know, it was a financial, poor site selection issue with a bunch of MUFs that slammed them(at least as I recall - so many concepts to remember).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 03:02 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,001 times
Reputation: 13
I know of a successful subway franchise. He was clever enough that he provided extra protection to prevent theft. He used to breathe once or twice but it never made much money. It is one of those franchises that can operate in a socialist economic system.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 05:18 AM
 
216 posts, read 86,673 times
Reputation: 584
My husband used to mange a Subway (which by the way, I DON'T recommend for anyone with a family!). I remember when they rolled out the whole $5 footlong thing. UGH is all I have to say...it dredges up memories of him having to work 50-60 hr weeks. And from then on out that's what he did...prior to that he was usually in there 40-45 hrs a week. In fact prior to the -08-'09 Recession it wasn't that bad of a job...after that it became hell on earth!

I'm not entirely sure how successful his owner was or wasn't...the guy inherited his 3 stores from his parents. He seemed really invested in them and would even work in them if they were busy. He moved his stores' locations and opened bigger newer buildings with drive-throughs. He opened a 4th location as well. He just sold them all this past year. I think it had to do with never being able to find decent staff and constant turnover in the management area. He did manage to hang on to a few people for quite a while. One lady had been there since the 80s! My husband had been a manager for about 10 yrs then stepped down and was basically a highly paid floor staff person for the last 5 yrs. He went back to school during that time. It was super stressful with him as a manager...He NEVER seemed to make his food costs and labor costs so he never got his full commission bonus. He had insurance but to add his family it would have been insanely expensive. He was basically on call all the time...I have pretty much boycotted subway at this point...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Mogadishu, MN
7,444 posts, read 1,991,746 times
Reputation: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
My husband used to mange a Subway (which by the way, I DON'T recommend for anyone with a family!). I remember when they rolled out the whole $5 footlong thing. UGH is all I have to say...it dredges up memories of him having to work 50-60 hr weeks. And from then on out that's what he did...prior to that he was usually in there 40-45 hrs a week. In fact prior to the -08-'09 Recession it wasn't that bad of a job...after that it became hell on earth!

I'm not entirely sure how successful his owner was or wasn't...the guy inherited his 3 stores from his parents. He seemed really invested in them and would even work in them if they were busy. He moved his stores' locations and opened bigger newer buildings with drive-throughs. He opened a 4th location as well. He just sold them all this past year. I think it had to do with never being able to find decent staff and constant turnover in the management area. He did manage to hang on to a few people for quite a while. One lady had been there since the 80s! My husband had been a manager for about 10 yrs then stepped down and was basically a highly paid floor staff person for the last 5 yrs. He went back to school during that time. It was super stressful with him as a manager...He NEVER seemed to make his food costs and labor costs so he never got his full commission bonus. He had insurance but to add his family it would have been insanely expensive. He was basically on call all the time...I have pretty much boycotted subway at this point...
That's a lot of managerial postitions...even "supervisor" positions.


My old job wanted to make me a supervisor but I had heard about the 90hr weeks and not-so-good pay so I stayed below a supervisor position.


The supervisors of my job now are miserable as heck as well - probably work 14hr days on salary (probably equals out to like mid-teens per/hr if they did the math, if not less).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 10:12 AM
 
216 posts, read 86,673 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
That's a lot of managerial postitions...even "supervisor" positions.


My old job wanted to make me a supervisor but I had heard about the 90hr weeks and not-so-good pay so I stayed below a supervisor position.


The supervisors of my job now are miserable as heck as well - probably work 14hr days on salary (probably equals out to like mid-teens per/hr if they did the math, if not less).

oh definitely....I used to think that being a salaried employee was something to strive for...what a crock! no thanks! Husband is now employed in a govt position and he's hourly which means he gets time and half for overtime and double time on holidays. I work on commission solely but if I don't have a client I'm not in at my job unlike some commission employees who wait around for clients.

Salaried + commission is what the subway my husband used to work for offered it's managers...it was the worst of both worlds
the turnover at fast food places (and indeed a lot of franchises) is ridiculously high. I used to work for a non food franchise...horrid.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Mogadishu, MN
7,444 posts, read 1,991,746 times
Reputation: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
oh definitely....I used to think that being a salaried employee was something to strive for...what a crock! no thanks! Husband is now employed in a govt position and he's hourly which means he gets time and half for overtime and double time on holidays. I work on commission solely but if I don't have a client I'm not in at my job unlike some commission employees who wait around for clients.

Salaried + commission is what the subway my husband used to work for offered it's managers...it was the worst of both worlds
the turnover at fast food places (and indeed a lot of franchises) is ridiculously high. I used to work for a non food franchise...horrid.
I work with a lot of immigrants (and even Americans) who work two jobs - some of them two FT jobs. They aren't really working 8 hrs at both jobs. They tell me they "work" 4 hrs but will get paid for 8 hrs, things like that.

I would rather pester my supervisor for more time-and-a-half (OT) than to work another job grinding for regular hourly wage.


It's better to work "smarter", not harder.


Why work two FT jobs at regular wages, when you can have one job and just get paid time and a half (OT)? It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess maybe these jobs don't offer OT, so they feel like they need to take two FT jobs?


I don't know, my sanity/free time is more valuable than money can buy.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 01:55 PM
 
1,537 posts, read 314,936 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The cheapest franchise to open is a Chick-fil-A. Franchise cost is only $10,000 and they pay ALL startup costs: real estate, construction, equipment, everything. Then they lease it to you. So much higher on-going costs. Sound good? They get about 20,000 applications per year and select between 70-80.
The screening for Chic-fil-A operators is very intense. They want to know all about your personal life and financials.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 02:02 PM
 
1,537 posts, read 314,936 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Dominos is the same way..........you have to buy the ingredients from the parent company (cha ching!) even though you could source better stuff locally at a cheaper price. Dominos also charges you per box, so if they sold you 30,000 boxes then you made 30,000 pizzas so the franchisee has to pay the "per pizza" money back to the parent company. They don't care if you had 1000 boxes get wet, infested with bugs and had to through them out. They want to be paid as if you sold 1000 pizzas in those boxes!
When I choose a Dominoes pizza, I want it to taste the same regardless of what city or state I am in. You can only get that by controlling the ingredients.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top