Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 09:01 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
My husband used to mange a Subway (which by the way, I DON'T recommend for anyone with a family!). I remember when they rolled out the whole $5 footlong thing. UGH is all I have to say...it dredges up memories of him having to work 50-60 hr weeks. And from then on out that's what he did...prior to that he was usually in there 40-45 hrs a week. In fact prior to the -08-'09 Recession it wasn't that bad of a job...after that it became hell on earth!

I'm not entirely sure how successful his owner was or wasn't...the guy inherited his 3 stores from his parents. He seemed really invested in them and would even work in them if they were busy. He moved his stores' locations and opened bigger newer buildings with drive-throughs. He opened a 4th location as well. He just sold them all this past year. I think it had to do with never being able to find decent staff and constant turnover in the management area. He did manage to hang on to a few people for quite a while. One lady had been there since the 80s! My husband had been a manager for about 10 yrs then stepped down and was basically a highly paid floor staff person for the last 5 yrs. He went back to school during that time. It was super stressful with him as a manager...He NEVER seemed to make his food costs and labor costs so he never got his full commission bonus. He had insurance but to add his family it would have been insanely expensive. He was basically on call all the time...I have pretty much boycotted subway at this point...
No offense, but 60 hours a week doesn’t seem excessive to me. Then again, I spent years working 70+hour work weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
No offense, but 60 hours a week doesn’t seem excessive to me. Then again, I spent years working 70+hour work weeks.
Maybe if you knew they were going to promote you to district or regional. 60 is too much for me.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
I can recall (1990s?) when a sub was $1.69.
Can't remember if it was a Subway or not.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I can recall (1990s?) when a sub was $1.69.
Can't remember if it was a Subway or not.
Back when I was just out HS (late '90s) I could get a massive cold cut foot long for like $4.00 at Subway.

I was appalled at how little meat was in my cold cut sub. I got from them a year ago. They pretty much lost my business forever.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:41 AM

307 posts, read 255,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

It depends on the salary...60 hrs a week and barely making 35k a year plus no real benefits at all.... and THAT was his good year!

I used to say that to him all the time....his hours wouldn't have mattered that much if he actually had a decent salary. Thankfully we live in a low COL area but we still struggled all the time...quality of life was definitely pretty low then.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:44 AM

307 posts, read 255,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Maybe if you knew they were going to promote you to district or regional. 60 is too much for me.

Yeah if there was a latter to climb it MAY have been worth it...also depended on the salary and other perks, which as I mentioned, were negligible. You basically were expected to be on call constantly. It was extremely stressful.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
adjusting for inflation,less meat is a way to keep price low,you figure labor,rent,insurance have all gone up.
BTW,IT BRAGS IT bakes its own bread,I dont care much for their bread,you can get the same from supermarket,
Once I ate one of their sandwiches at the airport,by the time I get home,I am hungry again.
Spend your money on 1/2 lb of deli meat and make your own sandwich. ,

Old 12-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
adjusting for inflation,less meat is a way to keep price low,you figure labor,rent,insurance have all gone up.
BTW,IT BRAGS IT bakes its own bread,I dont care much for their bread,you can get the same from supermarket,
Once I ate one of their sandwiches at the airport,by the time I get home,I am hungry again.
Spend your money on 1/2 lb of deli meat and make your own sandwich. ,
I'm well aware of that.

It's called "clipping" or whatever it is.

But I shop with my feet and money - the fact that they put their profit above giving their customers a (semi)quality product that they were used to just means they lost me as a customer (and hopefully others who caught on to their scheming).

They're not the only place to do this, I get that, but their product I guess never meant that much to me anyways then.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
When I choose a Dominoes pizza, I want it to taste the same regardless of what city or state I am in. You can only get that by controlling the ingredients.

That's new, at least compared to when I worked for them back in the 90's.

Royalties were just a flat.. 4%(?) of sales. But.. Again, this was back in the 90's when all paperwork was being done by hand, so.. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that people were cheating the system.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
I frequent LUBY Cafeteria sometimes,they do give your money worth,but their vegetiables look rather sloppy.
Do the cashiers still ask if you want some cash so you can leave a tip??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business