U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 PM

2,780 posts, read 1,465,856 times

Advertisements

I saw from the article they stopped selling CD's in 2015 and thought, "Really, was it that long ago?"
Good for Starbucks, get rid of the clutter. My purpose for the occasional stop is quickness and convenience.
I like coffee, drink it every day but I don't understand it being more than that a cup of joe or latte (outside of quick food items).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 PM

23,423 posts, read 16,124,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Right? Sounds like it was a bad decision to try.

New York (CNN Business)Starbucks will stop selling newspapers and a number of food items to declutter stores and remove products customers aren't buying.
Well yes and no.

For decades or ages reading a newspaper or other printed media while enjoying a cup of coffee (or other beverage) went hand in hand. Diners, restaurants, trains, desk at work, etc....

What has changed over last decade or so is the adaption of new technology causing print media to decline if not slowly dying out. People still read, but much of it these days is online (phone, tablet, PC, laptop, etc..), and or they download things onto Kindle or whatever.

For generations small corner convenience stores and other places did a brisk business (especially in mornings) selling coffee and newspapers/printed media.

Cannot speak for other areas of the country but at least here in NY area it wasn't uncommon for people to mosey into a SB or any other coffee place say on a Sunday morning to read the paper and get their coffee fix. Now of course that is largely all over which is likely why SB is taking this action.

As another poster stated have not seen anyone actually purchase a newspaper in SB for years. They help themselves to reading a "free" issue, then put the thing back or leave it scattered where they were sitting. Worse some pick out sections to take with them meaning the paper was now incomplete and thus couldn't be sold. Others simply waited outside on Sunday nights at least for employees to throw out unsold NYT and then helped themselves.

Newspaper vendors can receive credit for unsold issues by taking off front page (usually) and sending it back as proof. Local Starbucks at least in our area seemed never to do this and threw out sometimes one or two stacks of unsold NYT (especially the highly coveted Sunday issues) still bundled together.

Over years had noticed many local SB locations either stopped selling NYT, and or cut back how many issues they received daily so less was thrown away. At least two SB one knows of actually holds unsold Sunday issues until Monday or later in week before throwing out. They know people want them, so this messes with their heads.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Buying SB bagged coffees at their retail locations is a rip off, so not surprised it is getting the heave ho as well.

Can buy SB coffee any nearly every supermarket, store 24, and other places in our area. Both bagged and K-cups also go on sale so you can stock up. Either way things are far cheaper than at SB stores.

Then there is always eBay and other online places (such as Amazon) that have tons of SB bagged and K-cup coffees.

Those pre-packaged SB sandwiches, baked goods and meal kits (not sure if they are getting the heave as well), often aren't the best things nutrition wise, nor tasty either.

Again SB throws away tons of those goods every other day, and homeless/dumpster divers know it. Besides newspapers those foods are number one reason you see people going through SB garbage.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,401,830 times
"Off the bat know of many homeless/dumpster divers that aren't going to be happy."

well, we will be.
our Adopt-A-Highway group (volunteers who pick up litter on the highways)
has noticed the INCREASE of certain categories of trash on our route.

1. Diet Coke cans. been #1 for this millennium and growing.
2. lottery tickets. not one or two, but a bunch (30+) at a time.
3. newspapers. free/subscription/etc. worse than styrofoam.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:35 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,931,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Buying SB bagged coffees at their retail locations is a rip off...
Buying it anywhere is a ripoff, IMVHO. The dirty little far-from-a-secret is that SB has fairly lousy coffee unless you order it half ice cream.

But it is a testament to brand power. "...the dogs just won't eat it!"

Old 07-14-2019, 06:08 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,411,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well yes and no.

For decades or ages reading a newspaper or other printed media while enjoying a cup of coffee (or other beverage) went hand in hand. Diners, restaurants, trains, desk at work, etc....

What has changed over last decade or so is the adaption of new technology causing print media to decline if not slowly dying out. People still read, but much of it these days is online (phone, tablet, PC, laptop, etc..), and or they download things onto Kindle or whatever.
Of course, for decades I subscribed to two newspapers, but for the last 10-15 years I've read news online.

It's just an old way to get old news, not something typical Starbucks customers want.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 AM

Well apparently people have mixed feelings; some saying SB should not only keep newspapers, but up their game and expand the offerings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/b...ewspapers.html

Some of those comments echo my own findings, not every SB sells newspapers. In fact for our area think only two or three out of ten or so have printed media.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 AM

16 posts, read 6,657 times
Don't care, I don't spend my money on nasty bitter coffee that cast 6 bucks. The whole concept is over-rated in my book, but people are fools anyway. Get a decent not great cup of coffe at Dunkin' or freekin Mcdonalds, and LEAVE.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 AM

6,085 posts, read 1,787,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There's a hundred places around to get a decent cup of black (and IMVHO, SB is not one of them). You lie down with the fru-fru crowd, you get up with whipped cream on your... cup.
Oh I'm in violent agreement with you on all counts. Sadly, sometimes I'm merely a passenger among those who are not yet Coffee Woke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or