U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,335 posts, read 58,927,575 times

Advertisements

I have never been in a dollar store and don't know where there is one. Our city has 65,000 people and no dollar store, just a Safeway, 2 Krogers (QFC), Trader Joe's and Metropolitan Market, which is anything but cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 AM

503 posts, read 156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never been in a dollar store and don't know where there is one. Our city has 65,000 people and no dollar store, just a Safeway, 2 Krogers (QFC), Trader Joe's and Metropolitan Market, which is anything but cheap.
https://www.dollartree.com/locations/wa/

There are quite a few Dollar Tree locations in the Puget Sound region. I think you are correct that there are fewer of the general stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar).

Old 07-22-2019, 01:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,335 posts, read 58,927,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
https://www.dollartree.com/locations/wa/

There are quite a few Dollar Tree locations in the Puget Sound region. I think you are correct that there are fewer of the general stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar).
From that link, the closest would be Issaquah, about 7 miles away. We are there often for other reasons but I don't recall seeing it, but it looks like it took over a vacant market building, in the last year or so. The next closest is Renton, about 20 miles away.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 PM

27,563 posts, read 10,409,403 times
If one wants to buy a lot of cheap candy and cookies, go there. I do NOT. I learned after our first Dollar store opened here. I have purchased a couple good things over the years but threw out a sponge mop the first time I used it...you get what you pay for.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:25 PM

2,656 posts, read 3,144,977 times
YMMV
no one answer fits all.

There are Dollar stores in rural areas all over the country. I suppose having a Dollar store somewhat near a poor area is better than not having one convenient to rural residents in isolated areas at all. At least many can drive to a place close by to get a few items. Most rural residents have a Walmart to buy healthy foods but there are also plenty of isolated areas that would not support a somewhat local Walmart.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:56 AM

75,834 posts, read 88,700,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The article below claims that dollar stores (Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Dollar General) are bad for the poor because they tend to cluster too many in small areas and thus force out grocery stores, which carry fresh foods (They undercut the grocery stores on processed foods and other nonperishables, and the margins on fresh food are razor-thin.) I live in a town with a population of 29,000, just under 10 square miles and there are 6 Dollar st0res that I can think of- it always seemed to be a lot. We do have poorer demographics than other nearby suburbs- higher % who didn't finish college, higher % below the poverty line, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...Z2F?li=BBnbcA1

And yet- we have 4 traditional grocery stores. All are local chains- not a single Mom and Pop, but not Kroger or Albertson's, either. One Dollar Store is in the same shopping center as a full grocery store.

So... is it that bad to have that many Dollar stores in an area? I see a lot of soccer-Mom types using them for party favors and supplies, cheap toys for the grandkids, etc. I've never been in one.
Typical msn.com bit of information or BBnbc as well.

first of all, though there may be many in any one area, they are not all that cheap or they don't have good selections: Most of those we know use $ general for convenience, but certainly not their main shopping. The prices are not that much cheaper or maybe not cheaper at all then many grocery stores. $ Tree has a lot of good, fun items, but almost no food and what they have isn't anywhere the quality of reg stores. Remember nothing is any price except a $. We love to stop and pick up a few things from time to time: great for things like Easter basket fillers, birthday cards, little things, but nothing else. I have no idea how they can hurt the poor or the grocery business.

I would suggest you stop in and check them out yourself. You might agree, the information you have read s strictly "fake news"

Old 07-27-2019, 07:10 PM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times
I think dollar stores are a bad consumer choice. I'm a bit conflicted as a free market oriented person about them.

I would like to see the impoverished have access to fruits, vegetables, and food without a ton of processed items. It could be argued that dollar stores are part of the cycle of poverty. If the impoverished are eating junk food like that, their minds and bodies will not work as well and they will not be able to lift themselves out of poverty. At the same time, there is demand in a market for their product offerings.

I think dollar stores are a symptom of declining education. It's not that much more expensive to eat fruits, vegetables, and good quality food that can be bought at a place like Kroger or even Walmart Supercenter. Not understanding this economic concept is what keeps the demand for dollar stores in place.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 1,487,361 times
For those of you who listen to podcasts, Planet Money has an excellent one called "Lettuce vs. the Dollar Stores". It covers a crusading councilwoman in N. Tulsa, OK who was trying to get a grocery store in N. Tulsa. Life expectancies in N. Tulsa are 15 years shorter than in S. Tulsa and she was convinced that a lot of the reason was that there was no grocery store in N. Tulsa- but there were TEN Dollar stores (for a population of 10,669 according to CD). They also interviewed a small-town grocery store owner in KS who closed his store two years after a Dollar Store opened up- his sales plummeted 30% and never recovered. He was selling Campbell's soup that cost him (wholesale) $1.50/can, delivered. The Dollar store sold larger cans for $1. It was a size/version made especially for that chain and they had a lot of leverage.

The councilwoman was able to get a grocery chain to agree to build but only after they passed a low saying that no Dollar stores could be built within a mile radius of any other, which essentially meant no new ones could be built.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:33 AM

5,106 posts, read 3,401,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
For those of you who listen to podcasts, Planet Money has an excellent one called "Lettuce vs. the Dollar Stores". It covers a crusading councilwoman in N. Tulsa, OK who was trying to get a grocery store in N. Tulsa. Life expectancies in N. Tulsa are 15 years shorter than in S. Tulsa and she was convinced that a lot of the reason was that there was no grocery store in N. Tulsa- but there were TEN Dollar stores (for a population of 10,669 according to CD). They also interviewed a small-town grocery store owner in KS who closed his store two years after a Dollar Store opened up- his sales plummeted 30% and never recovered. He was selling Campbell's soup that cost him (wholesale) $1.50/can, delivered. The Dollar store sold larger cans for $1. It was a size/version made especially for that chain and they had a lot of leverage.

The councilwoman was able to get a grocery chain to agree to build but only after they passed a low saying that no Dollar stores could be built within a mile radius of any other, which essentially meant no new ones could be built.
I don't think the North Tulsa area is a fair example, it is an extremely high crime area which is probably more responsible for the lower life expectancy.

As for the small KS grocer, I guess he should also complain about Target, Walmart, Sam's Club and all the other retailers that sell Campbell's soups for 99 cents or less.

I just don't like taking away families' choices, especially when they are being frugal with their grocery budget. Save money on soup and have extra money for the trip to the next neighborhood for other groceries.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,836,286 times
My city is full of dollar store and ethnical grocery store. That is all we have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or