U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 06:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,499,968 times

Advertisements

The article below claims that dollar stores (Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Dollar General) are bad for the poor because they tend to cluster too many in small areas and thus force out grocery stores, which carry fresh foods (They undercut the grocery stores on processed foods and other nonperishables, and the margins on fresh food are razor-thin.) I live in a town with a population of 29,000, just under 10 square miles and there are 6 Dollar st0res that I can think of- it always seemed to be a lot. We do have poorer demographics than other nearby suburbs- higher % who didn't finish college, higher % below the poverty line, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...Z2F?li=BBnbcA1

And yet- we have 4 traditional grocery stores. All are local chains- not a single Mom and Pop, but not Kroger or Albertson's, either. One Dollar Store is in the same shopping center as a full grocery store.

So... is it that bad to have that many Dollar stores in an area? I see a lot of soccer-Mom types using them for party favors and supplies, cheap toys for the grandkids, etc. I've never been in one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 PM

12,644 posts, read 17,712,153 times
Then go and see.

I still have 2 screwdrivers we bought from Dollar Store in 1994. They still work.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:28 PM

36,765 posts, read 11,765,248 times
Strange how you know who shops at dollar stores--right down to describing them as "soccer mom types"--yet you say you've never been in one. Okay.

Beyond that, the answer to your question is right in the article. Dollar stores aren't bad for poor "communities." They're bad for the bottom line of competing stores.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:28 PM

507 posts, read 159,021 times
1. All dollar stores are not the same. Dollar Tree is a true dollar store (all merchandise is $1). Family Dollar and Dollar General are just modern, low-end general stores.

2. I like all of these for convenience and occasional bargains, but in general the food prices aren't great. Walmart or Aldi are usually quite a bit cheaper, so are the big supermarket chains if you shop the specials. I am lucky to live in an area with these options.

3. I don't know much about grocery pricing, but there may be some truth to this. However, if the real issue is food deserts without a market to support fresh goods, I don't see marking up shelf items as the fix. So I don't fault the dollar stores for competing in that space.

4. If you think about it, the modern American grocery store with a wide selection of perishable goods (and spoilage to match) is pretty extravagant. I see Aldi's model as a good middle ground.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:32 PM

36,765 posts, read 11,765,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Then go and see.

I still have 2 screwdrivers we bought from Dollar Store in 1994. They still work.

I hear ya!

I picked up one of those Insta-Slits years ago (DH calls it "that thing), then went back for more. We're still using the first one lol.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,138,070 times
I tend to buy my greeting cards there. Paper plates and their 6 packs of water.
And the plastic flowers for my parents at the cemetery.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:03 PM

356 posts, read 196,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The article below claims that dollar stores (Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Dollar General) are bad for the poor because they tend to cluster too many in small areas and thus force out grocery stores, which carry fresh foods (They undercut the grocery stores on processed foods and other nonperishables, and the margins on fresh food are razor-thin.) I live in a town with a population of 29,000, just under 10 square miles and there are 6 Dollar st0res that I can think of- it always seemed to be a lot. We do have poorer demographics than other nearby suburbs- higher % who didn't finish college, higher % below the poverty line, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...Z2F?li=BBnbcA1

And yet- we have 4 traditional grocery stores. All are local chains- not a single Mom and Pop, but not Kroger or Albertson's, either. One Dollar Store is in the same shopping center as a full grocery store.

So... is it that bad to have that many Dollar stores in an area? I see a lot of soccer-Mom types using them for party favors and supplies, cheap toys for the grandkids, etc. I've never been in one.
How about Wal-Mart? Or McDonalds located near Black Angus Steakhouse?

Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 AM

5,881 posts, read 2,562,599 times
They are a part of paradigm which is frightening.

I have a BP monitor, made of assembled components, including a switch. A suppler sells them switches for 5 cents each. They find another supplier with 4c switches. They buy those and save 1c. But that adds a new weakest link, the switches break, and an otherwise serviceable article is now useless. Retailers refuse to reorder and the remainders are sold to Dollar Stores, which pop up everywhere because there is now an endless stream of junk,.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 AM

3,649 posts, read 1,499,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Strange how you know who shops at dollar stores--right down to describing them as "soccer mom types"--yet you say you've never been in one. Okay.
My SIL and the women in my garden club have told me they go there. So, yes, my statement was based on observations unless for some reason they were lying. I buy very little processed food and I get good prices on non-food items at Costco so I don't have any reason to shop in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
They are a part of paradigm which is frightening.

I have a BP monitor, made of assembled components, including a switch. A supplier sells them switches for 5 cents each. They find another supplier with 4c switches. They buy those and save 1c. But that adds a new weakest link, the switches break, and an otherwise serviceable article is now useless. Retailers refuse to reorder and the remainders are sold to Dollar Stores, which pop up everywhere because there is now an endless stream of junk,.
I totally agree with you on that. A tiny piece of plastic fails on something, it can't be fixed, it goes into the landfill and you buy another because they're cheap. And this hits the poor the hardest because they're looking for the lowest prices.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,411,641 times
I really can't imagine a dollar store forcing out a grocery store.

I think they do serve a good purpose, I know that besides soccer moms, there are plenty of senior citizens that shop there to pick up shampoo, cleaning goods, etc to save money. Then they have money to buy food at the grocery stores.

And I like that they place them out in the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or