U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 03:51 PM

3,998 posts, read 1,067,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

I keep hearing how great the job market & economy is but watching retail shut the doors makes me very uncomfortable.
Lowe’s, Gap, JCPenney, Lord & Taylor, Target, Macy’s, Tesla, etc. etc. - the economy is changing and brick-and-mortar stores will continue to downsize and/or close, not only because of E-commerce but in response to rising wages for cashiers and other retail positions as well. It’s difficult for some low-margin companies (who are already suffering from the competition of online retailers) to stay afloat. Many bring in management consultants to explore restructuring options prior to, or part of, employee cuts. That said, home improvement retail has remained fairly steady while there has been increases in consumer spending related to travel, hotels, airlines, and bars/restaurants.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 04:59 PM

80,906 posts, read 79,033,206 times
I used to manage a branch for an electrical wholesaler ...Home Depot opened up down the block ...we thought we would end up closing the location...it actually increased business many times over ...between their lack of knowledge and small breadth of product compared to us it was the best thing that happened

Old 08-05-2019, 07:46 PM

951 posts, read 321,491 times
As some others have said. They are eliminating a critical step in gaining knowledge about products. The more time you spend with a tool the more knowledge you have about it. Now people will be speaking with someone that is as ignorant as they are.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:19 AM

18,912 posts, read 57,631,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"...Those affected include maintenance staff and workers who assemble retail products.

"We are moving to third-party assemblers and facility services to allow Lowe's store associates to spend more time on the sales floor serving customers," says a spokesperson.

I don't know about you by I read this to say that "thousands" of Lowes store level employees are doing double duty. Not only are sales floor employees serving customers, but they're also the building maintenance and product assembly people???

I know that people who do commercial building maintenance are usually licensed in at least one mechanical discipline (electrical, plumbing, HVAC)- they sure as Hell don't need to work at Lowes as a floor sales person AND do building maintenance. And product assembly people just need basic mechanical skills, a few hand tools, and read at a high school level- not exactly the type of person you would hire to be a floor sales person- or shouldn't.

Or was this just a case of a spokesperson who reads at a high school level, but composition is at a 4th grade level?

...and you wonder why customer service sux!
I'm not sure customers ever see those workers anyway. It sounds more like this is the standard outsourcing of janitorial and grunt work to outside contractors. It happened in theatres back in the 1980s. Before that, janitors were on staff and often on salary because no one could monitor them and the work load varied tremendously. Office cleaning contractors then came in, bid, and did the work better with a crew of a vanload of workers in minutes, and had a supervisor who checked in as needed for inspections and correction by management. No more worries that Joe was bringing wife and kids to "help" and do his work and let them get injured or get caught, with a resultant underage labor debacle. What Lowes did was likely overdue.

There are conditions and part of the life cycle of a business where employee costs get intense examination. Traditionally, one of those times is when business drops off from a peak and the ratio of employees to customers, or employee cost to revenue starts to go pear shaped. Other costs may be fixed or impossible to reduce.

The command to cut employee cost has to come from above. Most management teams can't hack a manager who cuts hours, seemingly capriciously and with no thought of the welfare of the employees.

Lowes has a good performing CEO, but the economics of big box stores is shifting. Just like they squeezed the old hardware stores who overcharged, they are now getting squeezed by the more efficient Harbor Freight and Aldi types of small boxes. Online and fast delivery are another squeeze.

For me, one of the reasons to even visit a store like this is to buy nails or screws. Lowes lost a lot of my presence as a customer when some beancounter decided to premium price fasteners. You don't overprice your milk and eggs and hope to keep regular shoppers. Every grocery store learned that years ago.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,549 posts, read 43,295,876 times
Our Lowe's is having a Hiring Event tomorrow.... I dislike Lowe's, so I seldom shop there. They don't value my time or money. (Few. Contractor's can hang around and wait when your high paid staff is back on the job waiting too! )

Lowe's can fold, no loss. A REAL building store would be nice! Or old fashioned hardware store.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:21 PM

5,685 posts, read 4,295,441 times
I stopped in my local Lowes today and they had a big sign next to customer service that read "Now Hiring"

Old 08-07-2019, 07:37 PM

18,094 posts, read 15,267,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Actually they have 2,002 stores, laying off 3,000 employees would equal 1 1/2 employees per store. Hardly a news worthy if you ask me.
That is most likely even below their turn-over rate. Only question is if this is on top of the turn-overs, and they are also including not filling open positions/eliminating positions once a person leaves as part of the turn-over rate.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:05 AM

6,349 posts, read 3,646,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't usually post here on this forum because I don't really understand economics but now I'm even more confused.I remember what happened in 2008. My youngest son had been diagnosed with severe regressive autism & I had quit my job in 2006 to care for him.

I remember the brick & mortar stores closing & in my city that relied heavily on hi tech industry; people with Masters degrees were working in gas stations & 1 of every 4 homes was in foreclosure.

by 2010, I was in a hotel room with 4 children, on EBT & down two houses & two vehicles.

I keep hearing how great the job market & economy is but watching retail shut the doors makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not one of those that filed bankruptcy & jumped into a mortgage. I am now caring for a disabled 15 year old & trying to get my twin girls into college this fall. My credit has never recovered & I'm underbanked to the point of being unable to be an online consumer.

Is it just me or is something going very wrong?
You are a reflection of your own choices. You decided to have 4 children while knowing darn well the cost of raising 1 child. The cost of college is out of control and I would argue for most a poor investment. If you choose to fund the college and all these activities that is your choice but don’t complain about your financial conditions if you get laid off in 4 years.

Start making better financial choices!

Old 08-10-2019, 09:19 AM

3,998 posts, read 1,067,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
You are a reflection of your own choices. You decided to have 4 children while knowing darn well the cost of raising 1 child. The cost of college is out of control and I would argue for most a poor investment. If you choose to fund the college and all these activities that is your choice but don’t complain about your financial conditions if you get laid off in 4 years.

Start making better financial choices!
For most, it is making the choice not to attend college (of any kind) that is a poor investment in one’s future. Those who attend college are less likely to end up in jail, make more money, have a higher net worth, and have more opportunities (in the face of layoffs) than their high-school graduate counterparts.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:52 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,229,544 times
When I was living in Tucson, I went to Ace Hardware more often than either big box home store. I love the selection of fasteners at Ace, where you can buy the exact amount that you want, and your store visit could be completed in a few minutes. If I only need one or two of a particular fastener, why buy a bag of 8 or 10? Most Ace stores also have at least a few helpful and well trained associates available to help customers find things or give some tips.

Retail is a killer competition business these days. They have to fight to stay relevant and stay alive. It sounds to me like Lowes is making some adjustments to cut some costs and to get more focused on the customers in the stores. Like Harry said above, their competition is not just Home Depot or online, it is popping up all over the place.

I hope Lowes is able to hang on, because it helps to have a big box competitor to HD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or