U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 11:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 52,406,650 times

Advertisements

"...Those affected include maintenance staff and workers who assemble retail products.

"We are moving to third-party assemblers and facility services to allow Lowe's store associates to spend more time on the sales floor serving customers," says a spokesperson.

I don't know about you by I read this to say that "thousands" of Lowes store level employees are doing double duty. Not only are sales floor employees serving customers, but they're also the building maintenance and product assembly people???

I know that people who do commercial building maintenance are usually licensed in at least one mechanical discipline (electrical, plumbing, HVAC)- they sure as Hell don't need to work at Lowes as a floor sales person AND do building maintenance. And product assembly people just need basic mechanical skills, a few hand tools, and read at a high school level- not exactly the type of person you would hire to be a floor sales person- or shouldn't.

Or was this just a case of a spokesperson who reads at a high school level, but composition is at a 4th grade level?

...and you wonder why customer service sux!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 01:31 PM

24,633 posts, read 32,256,920 times
Hmmm..... It doesn't look to me like there are enough employees in their stores to lay off "thousands". Do they have a thousand store that they can lay off one of the three employees in each store?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:33 PM

5,840 posts, read 9,383,388 times
By allowing "Lowe's store associates to spend more time on the sales floor", this may also mean they need fewer associates for the sales floor, which may have been the real objective here.

Are cashiers next ?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 52,406,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Are cashiers next ?

At my local HD they are already gone- there is one cashier at the commercial/contractor check out; and one or two in the garden section on weekends. Everything else is self-checkout.

My local L's has a cashier at the commercial/contractor checkout in the morning until about 1. Then your lucky to have ONE cashier at any other checkout. The garden center will have one during the week/maybe two on weekends. And their business model is to cater to the H/O, consumer. As opposed to HD's leaning toward contractors.

Go figure!

Old 08-04-2019, 10:46 PM

3,890 posts, read 1,026,385 times
51 of their stores are closing as well!

Old 08-05-2019, 12:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 3,210,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
51 of their stores are closing as well!
I don't usually post here on this forum because I don't really understand economics but now I'm even more confused.I remember what happened in 2008. My youngest son had been diagnosed with severe regressive autism & I had quit my job in 2006 to care for him.

I remember the brick & mortar stores closing & in my city that relied heavily on hi tech industry; people with Masters degrees were working in gas stations & 1 of every 4 homes was in foreclosure.

by 2010, I was in a hotel room with 4 children, on EBT & down two houses & two vehicles.

I keep hearing how great the job market & economy is but watching retail shut the doors makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not one of those that filed bankruptcy & jumped into a mortgage. I am now caring for a disabled 15 year old & trying to get my twin girls into college this fall. My credit has never recovered & I'm underbanked to the point of being unable to be an online consumer.

Is it just me or is something going very wrong?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,586,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Hmmm..... It doesn't look to me like there are enough employees in their stores to lay off "thousands". Do they have a thousand store that they can lay off one of the three employees in each store?
Actually they have 2,002 stores, laying off 3,000 employees would equal 1 1/2 employees per store. Hardly a news worthy if you ask me.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,335 posts, read 58,927,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't usually post here on this forum because I don't really understand economics but now I'm even more confused.I remember what happened in 2008. My youngest son had been diagnosed with severe regressive autism & I had quit my job in 2006 to care for him.

I remember the brick & mortar stores closing & in my city that relied heavily on hi tech industry; people with Masters degrees were working in gas stations & 1 of every 4 homes was in foreclosure.

by 2010, I was in a hotel room with 4 children, on EBT & down two houses & two vehicles.

I keep hearing how great the job market & economy is but watching retail shut the doors makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not one of those that filed bankruptcy & jumped into a mortgage. I am now caring for a disabled 15 year old & trying to get my twin girls into college this fall. My credit has never recovered & I'm underbanked to the point of being unable to be an online consumer.

Is it just me or is something going very wrong?
People are still spending money and buying. In nearby Bellevue, WA the Lowe's closed and it's being remodeled as a car dealership. Their failure had more to do with the success of the Home Depot a few blocks away. Also nearby, but the other direction in Issaquah, there is a Home Depot a few blocks from the Lowes. I stopped at that Lowes recently to look for something because it's so much easier to park close and get in and out, compared to Home Depot which is always busy. That day Lowes had one cashier open, and someone was sitting at a desk in the appliance department, no sign of anyone else in the store. No other customers, no other employees. I can't imagine how they can continue to be open.

Lately many of the tools and other items found in the home stores I have bought on Amazon, including a gas powered pressure washer, cheaper and better quality with free shipping. It's just a shift in where/how people are buying. More retail workers are paid off, but meanwhile Amazon hires more and more warehouse workers (at higher pay). The real losers are the owners of the property that becomes vacant, but so far in our area, none stay vacant for long. We had a quilt shop go out of business and a chain fabric store moved in. We had a gaming store close up, and a credit union moved in.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:18 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,393,406 times
"...workers who assemble retail products."
this company will handle putting together
the displays, assembling the lawnmowers,
and resets of out-of-date set-ups:

https://www.apolloretail.com

Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 1,755,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"...Those affected include maintenance staff and workers who assemble retail products.

"We are moving to third-party assemblers and facility services to allow Lowe's store associates to spend more time on the sales floor serving customers," says a spokesperson.

I don't know about you by I read this to say that "thousands" of Lowes store level employees are doing double duty. Not only are sales floor employees serving customers, but they're also the building maintenance and product assembly people???

I know that people who do commercial building maintenance are usually licensed in at least one mechanical discipline (electrical, plumbing, HVAC)- they sure as Hell don't need to work at Lowes as a floor sales person AND do building maintenance. And product assembly people just need basic mechanical skills, a few hand tools, and read at a high school level- not exactly the type of person you would hire to be a floor sales person- or shouldn't.

Or was this just a case of a spokesperson who reads at a high school level, but composition is at a 4th grade level?

...and you wonder why customer service sux!
It sounds to me like the assemblers are people who assemble, for example, patio furniture, lawnmowers & snowblowers. Not a big value-add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or