U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM

16,254 posts, read 28,125,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'm curious where a line is drawn regarding business out of our home. My wife sells some stuff out of our home, I'd say it is 1-2 items daily, usually a piece of furniture or small patio set. I do have a neighbor who has commented on it, and if he had his way it would cease. I'd like for her to continue what she is doing, but my concern is the legality of it. I'm in California, and any feedback is appreciated. Thanks,
I,m also in California. We have operated a business out of our home. We don't see anyone at the house though. Others I have known had a similar situation. Depending on your city, In our area, the city wants to limit the amount of traffic coming to the home. In a residential area we are limited by how many customers can be at the home at the same time and on the same day.

Another guy I know owns a home remodel and painting business. As his company grew he added trucks to his driveway and parked on the road. Someone did complain because of all the trucks. The city said he could only have so many company vehicles on his property. Turns out the house across the street was for sale, so he bought that house and parked half of his trucks at one and the other half at the other. He received another visit from the city. He showed the city representative what he did. The city representative laughed, said he was in compliance and left.

On a side note, he continued to grow and did buy a lot with an office to run the business out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 10:59 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,182,142 times
If your wife is in CA, realize the huge can or worms you open if you go legit.
- Permits
- Licenses
- Zoning
- Tax collection
- Disclosures/DBAs
- Insurance

If you're planning on growing something...then yes. Once sales are consistent, you need to work towards getting legit. If this is a side hobby, work on pacifying the neighbor and address the grievances. Like most things in California, the power is tilted towards the power to stop someone, not to get something done.

Small can be very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or