U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 AM

729 posts, read 583,002 times

Advertisements

I'm curious where a line is drawn regarding business out of our home. My wife sells some stuff out of our home, I'd say it is 1-2 items daily, usually a piece of furniture or small patio set. I do have a neighbor who has commented on it, and if he had his way it would cease. I'd like for her to continue what she is doing, but my concern is the legality of it. I'm in California, and any feedback is appreciated. Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 07:10 AM

5,387 posts, read 3,594,165 times
Do you have an HOA and do the covenants mention anything about businesses in the home?

Have you read your local city's small business rules to see if she needs to be registered, get a license, pay taxes?

Having 30-50 strangers a month come to your neighborhood to buy things would concern many neighbors.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:11 AM

10,217 posts, read 6,580,145 times
Has she applied for a seller's permit? Is your wife collecting and remitting sales tax to CDTFA? Is her business income/loss reported on Schedule C?

I expect the answer to all these questions is No. Your neighbor can make trouble for you if he chooses to. Your wife can apply for a seller's permit online.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 AM

25,220 posts, read 33,132,889 times
If she is selling in California she needs a resale license and she should be collecting sales tax. And i recommend a fictitious business name (which must be registered with the state)

If she is selling online and collecting sales tax, she should be OK.

If she has customers coming in person to your house to buy and one of those customers gets hurt and sues you, your homeowners insurance won't cover it because you don't have commercial business insurance

If customers are coming to your house, you might be in violation of HOA rules or of local zoning laws.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 3,901,489 times
Can't say as I blame the neighbor, if we had neighbors who had folks coming/going 1-2 times/day, every day I'd probably not be real thrilled with that either.

I would have suggested a "neutral" meeting spot such as what Craigslist and some other sites offer that are well lit and are busy areas but if it's heavy furniture I'm not sure how feasible that would be for your wife. How large is this furniture?

Old 08-18-2019, 02:06 PM

82,933 posts, read 80,410,958 times
I once sent away for info on how to earn 25 bucks an hour stuffing envelopes about 30 years ago ...I saw an ad in a paper ....well I sent them money to find out about it .....they sent me instructions for running an ad in papers asking for money to learn how to make money stuffing envelopes .... it was a big scam

Old 08-18-2019, 02:16 PM
ERH

1,310 posts, read 1,838,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I once sent away for info on how to earn 25 bucks an hour stuffing envelopes about 30 years ago ...I saw an ad in a paper ....well I sent them money to find out about it .....they sent me instructions for running an ad in papers asking for money to learn how to make money stuffing envelopes .... it was a big scam
The business model proved sound, though. LOL

Old 08-19-2019, 06:01 AM

5,610 posts, read 3,901,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Freaking AWESOME!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,104 posts, read 60,114,328 times
It depends on where you are, the city/county laws and any HOA rules. When my business slowed to a crawl in the recession and my lease expired I moved it to my home for a couple of years before getting a good job and shutting it down entirely. I already had a business license, but had to get a license from the city, and follow their rules for a home based business, which they actually encourage. At the time (2008) there were over 400 home businesses in our small city. There are restrictions on signage (one, 12"x18"), customer traffic, noise, and business hours.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:04 AM

729 posts, read 583,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Having 30-50 strangers a month come to your neighborhood to buy things would concern many neighbors.
Thank you for giving me something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Has she applied for a seller's permit? Is your wife collecting and remitting sales tax to CDTFA? Is her business income/loss reported on Schedule C?

I expect the answer to all these questions is No. Your neighbor can make trouble for you if he chooses to. Your wife can apply for a seller's permit online.
Thank you for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It depends on where you are, the city/county laws and any HOA rules. When my business slowed to a crawl in the recession and my lease expired I moved it to my home for a couple of years before getting a good job and shutting it down entirely. I already had a business license, but had to get a license from the city, and follow their rules for a home based business, which they actually encourage. At the time (2008) there were over 400 home businesses in our small city. There are restrictions on signage (one, 12"x18"), customer traffic, noise, and business hours.
Thank you for talking about your personal experience. I'm going to contact the city we are in and see what the rules are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or