Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

I am planning to file a pattern on my own.

I've always assume that I needed a Pattern Attorney to help me file, but then I was told that I could do it on my own?

Was wondering what is the best approach? Any experience you can share working with Pattern Attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Was wondering what is the best approach?
Any experience you can share working with Patent Attorney.
The patent attorney I knew (top drawer guy btw) gave me this bit of advice:
Just build your better mousetrap then sell enough of them at enough of a margin to afford an attorney
to represent you through the various processes. Or not. But use product income to pay for it.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Just build your better mousetrap then sell enough of them at enough of a margin to afford an attorney
to represent you through the various processes. Or not. But use product income to pay for it.
Thanks for the spelling error correction! What was I thinking? LOL

Old 08-23-2019, 02:33 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I’m not a patent attorney, but this is a huge mistake. Most would file for a provisional patent first while the idea is developed further or to ‘test’ the market (in order to protect against potential competitors/redesign). It will also make the nonprovisional application (within 12 months) easier - provided, of course, the provisional has been completed correctly and thoroughly as an interim step.

OP - I’d recommend a patent attorney as opposed to doing it yourself; shoddy advice and applications which don’t provide enough detail are common mistakes that may jeopardize your protection.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m not a patent attorney, but this is a huge mistake. Most would file for a provisional patent first while the idea is developed further or to ‘test’ the market (in order to protect against potential competitors/redesign). It will also make the nonprovisional application (within 12 months) easier - provided, of course, the provisional has been completed correctly and thoroughly as an interim step.

OP - I’d recommend a patent attorney as opposed to doing it yourself; shoddy advice and applications which don’t provide enough detail are common mistakes that may jeopardize your protection.
Thank you. FYI, I have filed the Provisional Patent and now moving toward the next step.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you. FYI, I have filed the Provisional Patent and now moving toward the next step.
You’re welcome (though I still recommend a patent attorney)!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’re welcome (though I still recommend a patent attorney)!
Roger. Any idea on what that's going to cost?

Old 08-24-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Roger. Any idea on what that's going to cost?
Again, I’m not a patent attorney (nor do I know the city you live or your circumstances) - it’s going to depend the amount of time required i.e. how thorough the provisional was (keep in mind mistakes are common when people file on their own, and it can be more expensive/time consuming to undo mistakes than if it had just been filed correctly from the start, if that’s the case).

I’m guessing you’ll pay $400-500 per hour for a patent attorney - but you’ll need a consultation to determine the amount of time needed for your situation. Most secure an attorney for the entire process rather than coming in midstream.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,293 times
I used to work with a previous employer's patent attorney that handled the small company's patent library. He was charging around $300/hour This was in mid 2000s in LA County, I'm sure the prices have gone up. If you are in the early start of your invention, I would go to USPTO.Gov and start to search on that site for some tips. You should document your record of invention and also conduct a prior art search. I believe USPTO.GOV has some resources for prior art searches. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Thank you teqp.

I have previously filed for a provisional patent with the USPTO. I have found a local IP lawyer that charges a flat rate so I think I will go with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business