Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,675 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts in this forum about the legitimacy of MLM companies, most recently Primerica. If you're interested in network marketing or MLM / multi-level marketing companies, then here are the best five resources to use when researching them.

* The Better Business Bureau (if they are US based or have headquarters in the US).

* The Glassdoor rating and reviews given by current and former employees (including distributors) of what it is like to work with the company.

* The website itself to learn about the company and its products.

* The Facebook page of the company to find out if you have any friends who may be employees, distributors, or customers of the company.

* The LinkedIn page of the company to see if you have any friends who may be employees or distributors of the company.

If you're looking for your first direct sales or MLM opportunity, then I suggest using these sources for the company you are researching to find out if it is a good fit for you.

I hope this helps in your research!

Last edited by vter; 02-17-2016 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: can't post links yet-you are too new of a user
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM

214 posts, read 139,522 times
Annual reports are the best source! The BBB, Glassdoor etc can and are manipulated by fake posts or membership fees, and websites and FB pages are mostly hype.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 PM

http://investors.primerica.com/Cache...T=&IID=4245322

compare from year to year and look at turnover #'s etc.

An analysis of Primerica's 2011-2015 annual reports reveals the number of people who left their Opportunity each year, and includes the percentage to their total sales force, or total numbers recruited. As well, it indicates the yearly averages of policies sold and recruitment performance average per rep for each year;

Year Reps Leaving (1) Recruits Leaving (2) policy avg(3) recruit avg
2015 31,280 (29%) ... 150,807 (79%) ........ 2.44 .. ... 2.14
2014 31,031 (32%) ... 152,428 (82%) .. ..... 2.25 .. ... 1.94
2013 30,962 (32%) ... 157,597 (82%) .. ..... 2.25 .. ... 1.95
2012 33,228 (36%) ... 210,331 (86%) .. ..... 2.41 .. ... 2.08
2011 37,385 (41%) ... 197,679 (85%) .. ..... 2.61 .. ... 2.68

Totals 163,886* (34%) 868,842*(83%) ....avg 2.39 .... avg 2.16

(1) As a percentage of their total force at year end
(2) Previous years recruits not licensed by this years end
(3) In each given year, there were at least 130,000 individual reps with them at some point, therefore the policies per rep figure is actually optimistic.

*OVER THAT 5 YEAR PERIOD 1,032,728 PEOPLE LEFT THE OPPORTUNITY! (1.5+ MILLION SINCE 2009 ALONE!)

Old 03-26-2016, 05:41 PM

4,145 posts, read 3,873,818 times
My opinion is to avoid all network marketing opportunities.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Then you Sir, are one intelligent person!!!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM

151 posts, read 194,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
you sir! are no kiyoSaki!

Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWeenie View Post
you sir! are no kiyoSaki!
Do you mean the author who makes a living writing books to motivate those failing in the MLM industry, because they represent a huge captive audience?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 7,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristihines View Post
I see a lot of posts in this forum about the legitimacy of MLM companies, most recently Primerica. If you're interested in network marketing or MLM / multi-level marketing companies, then here are the best five resources to use when researching them.

* The Better Business Bureau (if they are US based or have headquarters in the US).

* The Glassdoor rating and reviews given by current and former employees (including distributors) of what it is like to work with the company.

* The Facebook page of the company to find out if you have any friends who may be employees, distributors, or customers of the company.

* The LinkedIn page of the company to see if you have any friends who may be employees or distributors of the company.

If you're looking for your first direct sales or MLM opportunity, then I suggest using these sources for the company you are researching to find out if it is a good fit for you.

This is very helpful thank you

Old 04-07-2016, 06:44 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,137,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristihines View Post

Actually the websites of the companies themselves are the worst places to find the truth. Better to Google "income disclosure statement" or "is it a scam" of the company you're researching. I can save you some time here. If it's MLM, any MLM, chances are overwhelmingly against you making any money. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost money and time chasing the MLM "opportunity". Hundreds of thousands more will repeat their mistakes.

If you do join any MLM, be prepared to have all your relationships redefined. Your friends and family will become prospects rather than friends and family. The person that signed you up and everyone else she signed up are your competitors. You will become the person that your non-MLM acquaintances will avoid. The social cost is substantial. Better to flip burgers. You won't be expected to purchase burgers or recruit friends to purchase burgers and you'll actually get paid.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Actually the websites of the companies themselves are the worst places to find the truth. Better to Google "income disclosure statement" or "is it a scam" of the company you're researching. I can save you some time here. If it's MLM, any MLM, chances are overwhelmingly against you making any money. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost money and time chasing the MLM "opportunity". Hundreds of thousands more will repeat their mistakes.

If you do join any MLM, be prepared to have all your relationships redefined. Your friends and family will become prospects rather than friends and family. The person that signed you up and everyone else she signed up are your competitors. You will become the person that your non-MLM acquaintances will avoid. The social cost is substantial. Better to flip burgers. You won't be expected to purchase burgers or recruit friends to purchase burgers and you'll actually get paid.
Very true. Primerica's twitter page has a picture of the Atlantis resort. What does that have to do with a corporation or insurance? And in Primerica's case, 1.5M since 2009 alone didn't reach their dream and left.

Based on their annual reports, a prospect signing up has a 1 year survival rate of 10% which drops to 7% after 2 years. Bear in mind, those rates are optimistic because their top 20% of reps making good incomes have been there for years and aren't going anywhere. The actual survival rates for the bottom 80% are close to half of that. The bottom half of the organization is pure churn n burn. Sell (or buy) 1 or 2 policies (to a sympathetic relative or friend), then out the door!

Last edited by Toolbelt; 04-07-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business