U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 PM

9,927 posts, read 8,599,837 times

Advertisements

My son worked in a movie theatre for ten years. The drop in traffic and popularity of movie theatres has been dramatic. Imho, I would not invest 2 cents in that industry, that is movies or the theatres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 05:58 PM

226 posts, read 50,941 times
remember there is this elevator operator,you step into the elevator and tell him which floor you wanna go.
And the lady who sells you movie theatre ticket,and there is a seating chart,you pay more for the better seats.
And the train /bus conductor going around making sure everyone has bought a ticket.on the train
And the milkman who brings you fresh milk and take away the empty bottles.
And the veggie and fruit vendors in horse and carriage.
And the man who sat in a booth darning nylon stockings!
And you walk into a butcher shop and point which side of the pig/beef you want,mother always said pork tenderloin is most versatile,always buy pork tenderloin,yeah,if you recognise where is the tenderloin?
Wanna take a hot bath,boil some water and pour them into a big tub!.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,335 posts, read 58,927,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
remember there is this elevator operator,you step into the elevator and tell him which floor you wanna go.
And the lady who sells you movie theatre ticket,and there is a seating chart,you pay more for the better seats.
And the train /bus conductor going around making sure everyone has bought a ticket.on the train
And the milkman who brings you fresh milk and take away the empty bottles.
And the veggie and fruit vendors in horse and carriage.
And the man who sat in a booth darning nylon stockings!
And you walk into a butcher shop and point which side of the pig/beef you want,mother always said pork tenderloin is most versatile,always buy pork tenderloin,yeah,if you recognise where is the tenderloin?
Wanna take a hot bath,boil some water and pour them into a big tub!.
While I see your point, we still have milkman deliveries, and full-service butcher shops. The milkman also brings other foods now and they have an online presence, but still deliver in a big, noisy truck in the early morning to our neighborhood. Better examples perhaps, are the video stores, and bookstores.

https://www.smithbrothersfarms.com/our-history

https://www.fischermeatsnw.com/

Butcher Bellevue Wa - Golden Steer Choice Meats

Old 11-11-2019, 07:08 AM

29,151 posts, read 35,565,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Movie Theatres will never go away.

I remember a few years ago, there were tell tale signs that of movie theatres shrinking in number across the country. But really it is more like a correction. Too many theatres for a given area. If anything movie theatres should be no more abundant than say a live theatre, or just a little more.

Film makers/content producers will always demand movie theatres to showcase their work. It gives them more control over how much they can make. It actually allows film makers/content producers to maximize their profits.

A few years ago ideas came out that theatres were dying because of streaming, On Demand, home theatres, etc etc. Well those formats are not profitable for the film maker/content producers. At first, Netflix and ilk were a novel idea, but they are not starting to wain. Their profit margins are not high enough to put out high quality content people want to watch.

Netflix could not even afford to finish off the Marco Polo series. For years now they have been spewing garbage.
LOL. Dead To Me is some of the best television I have ever watched. Stranger Things? Jessica Jones? Russian Doll? OZARK?? THE CROWN? OITSNB? Mindhunter?

Jeez. And Prime has great stuff too.

[quote=NJ Brazen_3133;56288499They have a lot of foreign shows based in Europe. Like the "Criminal" series. Its basically as low budget as you can get. Its cops sitting in a room, with crook, and they just talk during interrogation, and that is it.

That is an example of how low brow streaming has become. Amazon has the same issues. You are paying for a monthly subscription but often have to wait more than a year for ten quality episodes of one show like "The Expanse" for example. There are already signs of people getting fed up with this.

The streaming channels are just becoming like the network or cable channels. ON Demand/Pay per view style is not as profitable for film makers/content providers as stated previously. You can pay one time, and invite 10-15 people over to watch. That is a lot of lost revenue. Quality content needs better cash flow than On Demand can provide.

Movie theatres should be smart by becoming more modular. They should set up to easily convert to live theatre/concerts, or even E-Games. Yes E-Games require lots of seating, and a screen, with a darkened room.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of The Expanse...but intergallactic sci fi? Yeah still don't care about it.

Don't get me wrong, I still like movie theaters, some films are just better there. But streaming is awesome. I don't watch enough tv to worry about having access to EVERYTHING....there is more content on OTA than I could ever watch anyway...but NF and Prime add a lot, and that works for me.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Another thing. . . watching a Starwars movie on a 32" CRT TV was just not the same as at the theater. Now we have 50-70" TVs with 4K resolution, and surround sound systems that rival the theater. Why spend $12+ for a ticket and another $20 for snacks, when you can wait a few weeks, and watch new films at home and eat your own snacks.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:44 PM

952 posts, read 1,071,016 times
Been to like 1 movie in last 10 years. Can watch it for free on apps in 1080 quality within a week or two of hitting theatres.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 PM

12,817 posts, read 5,246,466 times
I feel like a lot of people don't even want to leave their houses anymore.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
True, in fact I prefer watching sports on TV and no longer go to the games. I like to leave home but for entertainment that I cannot get at home. That's why we have a travel trailer. My home is not in the woods, in the mountains, or on a lake or river, where I would rather be, places to fish and hike. We will go see waterfalls, formal gardens, and visit other cities, try new restaurants. All things that are not available at home. Unlike watching movies.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Until they run out of movies,esp free ones they want to watch.
or run out of things to say on such forums.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Another thing. . . watching a Starwars movie on a 32" CRT TV was just not the same as at the theater. Now we have 50-70" TVs with 4K resolution, and surround sound systems that rival the theater. Why spend $12+ for a ticket and another $20 for snacks, when you can wait a few weeks, and watch new films at home and eat your own snacks.
Do you think we have shorter attention span and do not want to sit still for 2 hours in the dark>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business