U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 04:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 1,368,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.
I suppose it depends on the location. We have a TCBY near us that is booming with business year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM

16,254 posts, read 28,121,492 times
Back in the late 80's a couple I know purchased a Heidy's Frogen Yozurt franchise, Yes it is spelled like that, or was spelled like that. I worked there in the mornings setting the place up. Cleaning three yogurt machines with 6 flavors and getting them ready for the day. All before going to work at my real job. They also sold yogurt at the high schools during lunch. In fact they did everything that they could to keep the business running. Unfortunately the entire chain ended up going under. Back then TCBY, Penguins Place, and a few others were around. Lots of one off shops as well.

I would say we are in the end of Yogurt mania the second. I see lots of other places around now. I don't know if they will last or not.

What I see going strong is ice cream business.

In the LA area a guy started a company called CVT soft serve. He only sells Chocolate, Vanilla, or Twirl (both Chocolate and Vanilla) He has two trucks and can set up a business with a CVT mini soft serve. I think that is the way to go. to get a niche and fill it.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 PM

8,311 posts, read 7,499,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I am just looking for something that is easy to do, and can make money. I think yogurt store is one of the possibilities, because it does not have the grease and complexity of a restaurant, and everyone loves frozen yogurt.

Seems to me the business is simple enough for me to start a shop on my own, rather than joining a franchise. But then I have zero experience in this product or business, other than I often buy frozen yogurt when I was in college, and I love the product myself.

Any thoughts about this business? Where can I get the machines and the flavoring ingredients, which seems the only unknown part...
I think you are overestimating the demand for frozen yogurt. I for one dont like it. Most people I know prefer ice cream.

Perhaps you can broaden your plan horizontally, and include more deserts. It not much harder to do more horizontally in that industry, wont take up more space, and will appeal to broader audience. Basically why not do ice cream, yogurt, sorbettos, and the whole shebang?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post

Personally I would not do frozen yogurt again, and do ice cream. For that you would want to attend ice cream university at Penn State.
I attending PSU, and I lived just around the corner from the Creamery. I went there almost every day.

But attending that school probably expensive. Why not just take any community college culinary course on how to make ice cream or yogurt?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 PM

Actually you know what may be good idea.

Dairy free, or lactose free ice cream and yogurt. I dont know why bakeries and creameries do not offer more lactose free items.

I cannot eat ice cream, milkshakes, and other deserts anymore, yet I really wish I can. If there is a bakery/creamery that has lactose free, I be there erry day.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 AM

1,181 posts, read 328,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I attending PSU, and I lived just around the corner from the Creamery. I went there almost every day.

But attending that school probably expensive. Why not just take any community college culinary course on how to make ice cream or yogurt?
IMO, PSU has the best course science there is. You will learn the options and the various control techniques you will need based on the type of ice cream you are making. Personally I do not think their courses are expensive for what you get, last I knew around 2.5K for the short course.

I am not aware of any community college offering a specialty curriculum in ice cream. I just checked the two largest community colleges in my state that have culinary art programs and they offer nothing.

And there is far more to it than just making it, there is a quality control aspect to it. The way you scoop, pack, trim in order to prevent ice crystal formation and squeezing out air. I was on vacation about 2 months ago and we went into a sweet shop, it was primarily a chocolate shop and they also had an old fashioned ice cream fountain. They were serving a premium brand (purchased) but had no handling skills. Their containers were not scraped correctly, ice crystals every where. It sort of dispirited me, because they were essentially denigrating a fine product with their mishandling of the merchandise and denigrating a good brand. I gave the owner a quick course in exchange for some chocolate. But I also told him he need to pitch about $1,300 of product. I also called the manufacturer and told them they need their distributor to do a spot check and possibly pull their products. That manufacturer is very picky. In fact years ago I wanted to do a scoop shop in a tourist town with their product. They would not do it as it was too far to ship and maintain fully quality control and they actually recommended a manufacturer near me that they thought had a decent product, but it was clearly a step down from what I wanted.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:34 PM

229 posts, read 51,840 times
I would rather find something to sell on EBAY?
No overhead,no lease to sign,no insurance.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
IMO, PSU has the best course science there is. You will learn the options and the various control techniques you will need based on the type of ice cream you are making. Personally I do not think their courses are expensive for what you get, last I knew around 2.5K for the short course.

I am not aware of any community college offering a specialty curriculum in ice cream. I just checked the two largest community colleges in my state that have culinary art programs and they offer nothing.

And there is far more to it than just making it, there is a quality control aspect to it. The way you scoop, pack, trim in order to prevent ice crystal formation and squeezing out air. I was on vacation about 2 months ago and we went into a sweet shop, it was primarily a chocolate shop and they also had an old fashioned ice cream fountain. They were serving a premium brand (purchased) but had no handling skills. Their containers were not scraped correctly, ice crystals every where. It sort of dispirited me, because they were essentially denigrating a fine product with their mishandling of the merchandise and denigrating a good brand. I gave the owner a quick course in exchange for some chocolate. But I also told him he need to pitch about $1,300 of product. I also called the manufacturer and told them they need their distributor to do a spot check and possibly pull their products. That manufacturer is very picky. In fact years ago I wanted to do a scoop shop in a tourist town with their product. They would not do it as it was too far to ship and maintain fully quality control and they actually recommended a manufacturer near me that they thought had a decent product, but it was clearly a step down from what I wanted.
Well, there has to be more than one credible creamery school out there. The TS did not specify where he want to start business, or where is current location is even.

Well, his profile says somewhere in CA. So I think Penn State is out of the question. That is a helluva expense time and money wise just to learn to make ice cream.

California has to have some good creamery schools. Its California.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:21 PM

658 posts, read 245,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well, there has to be more than one credible creamery school out there. The TS did not specify where he want to start business, or where is current location is even.

Well, his profile says somewhere in CA. So I think Penn State is out of the question. That is a helluva expense time and money wise just to learn to make ice cream.

California has to have some good creamery schools. Its California.
In post 10 I explained I am currently in Singapore, intend to start in Singapore, and the top 3 reasons.

I am very fascinated by the idea of going to university to learn how to make ice cream... Yes I know everything is a science if you want to look into the molecules level, and I know there is McDonald's Hamburger University, but I have always thought that's more like a exaggerated training course...

I will look into the PSU program.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In post 10 I explained I am currently in Singapore, intend to start in Singapore, and the top 3 reasons.

I am very fascinated by the idea of going to university to learn how to make ice cream... Yes I know everything is a science if you want to look into the molecules level, and I know there is McDonald's Hamburger University, but I have always thought that's more like a exaggerated training course...

I will look into the PSU program.
If you in Singapore, or Asia, then you should do my lactose free idea.

Most asian adults are highly lactose intolerant. I am asian and recently became very lactose intolerant. I was eating/drinking horcatas, milkshakes, ice cream, and what not up to just a few years ago. I so miss all that stuff.

I wish restaurants made more lactose free desserts. Everytime I sit in restaurants, I keep wishing that. Yogurt too, unless it is Greek yogurt is high in lactose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or